Pros not knowing the rules

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watched the Tyrell Hatton incident where his ball moved on the green and he never replaced it.
He was eliminated from the playoff.
Charles Howel then said in his interview that he didn't know the rule either.
Should a professional golfer know most of the basic rules of their job.
This seems very poor from a pro especially after all the kerfuffle about DJ in the past and that ruling.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Between them & the caddie you'd think they'd know the rules.
Look how many experts we have on the forum.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Watched the Tyrell Hatton incident where his ball moved on the green and he never replaced it.
This seems very poor from a pro especially after all the kerfuffle about DJ in the past and that ruling.

Embarrassing quite frankly, very basic rule and he came through the county and England squad system where I know they are taught these things. That cost him at least 40 grand likely more.

Didn't read the local rules sheet either which you would think everyone had learned after the Dustin incident at Whistling Straits

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
What ive found strange & i think TH may have been doing it was i have seen a few pros walk up and finish a putt , i thought u werent to do that in matchplay , i know the only pen is b asked to replay the shot , but i thought i wasnt the done thing in matchplay

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What ive found strange & i think TH may have been doing it was i have seen a few pros walk up and finish a putt , i thought u werent to do that in matchplay , i know the only pen is b asked to replay the shot , but i thought i wasnt the done thing in matchplay

It was 3 players for one spot, so essentially medal.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought it was the new local rule that he was penalised for? If so, that's not in the rule book yet.

It was the new local rule about accidentally moving your ball on the putting surface. I can only assume he was thinking it was a 1 shot penalty and play from where it lies? Either way he was impatient and could/should have waited for an official. It slows up play but it's what they're there for.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site

A bit of confusion in this thread.

He does know the RULE, ie he incurred a penalty for accidentally moving his ball, so he had no chance of progressing.
HOWEVER, the brand new LOCAL RULE that has just come in changes that, it was no penalty. So it was the new local rule/ tournament rule that he wasn't aware of, that's his fault but it's different from not knowing a basic rule. Until recently he was correct.

The 2 man playoffs were played under matchplay rules, the 3+ man playoffs were played under strokeplay rules, hence no problem holing out.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A bit of confusion in this thread.

He does know the RULE, ie he incurred a penalty for accidentally moving his ball, so he had no chance of progressing.
HOWEVER, the brand new LOCAL RULE that has just come in changes that, it was no penalty. So it was the new local rule/ tournament rule that he wasn't aware of, that's his fault but it's different from not knowing a basic rule. Until recently he was correct.

The 2 man playoffs were played under matchplay rules, the 3+ man playoffs were played under strokeplay rules, hence no problem holing out.
I would have thought making yourself aware of the local rules basics.
I read them on the card if I play away.

SteveBonners

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This was not the first time that we have seen Pros be penalised for not knowing the rules. It was clear that the Sky commentary team of Mark Roe and Rich Beem did not understand what was going on either .

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
This was not the first time that we have seen Pros be penalised for not knowing the rules. It was clear that the Sky commentary team of Mark Roe and Rich Beem did not understand what was going on either .

Made even more annoying by both obviously not listening when the Rules Official that was involved explained what had happened.

It was clear when Tyrell was interviewed he still wasn't aware of exactly what he'd done wrong that caused the penalty.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But again, surely a caddy should have a copy of the local/tournament rules in the bag for the week along with a copy of the rules. It would at least give the player a chance to consider the right option while waiting for an official rather than almost guessing like Hatton seemed to

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
Its quite a basic principle really. Player causes own ball to move = replace it.

It is, but if the Local Rule had not been in place, there's also a one shot penalty which in this case meant that Tyrell Hatton would have been out of it. I believe that was his line of thinking at the time and therefore just tapping it in from where it came to rest was, in his mind, completely irrelevant.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The only thing they really need to know is 'there's likely to be a ruling required here'! So get an official to make one, after circumstances have been explained, and move on!

Can also be summarised as 'Where's a Rules Official?'!

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I remember once Nick Faldo got very irritated with a referee at Wentworth after an approach shot landed on a carrier bag that a spectator had been sitting on in the rough. Faldo insisted he was entitled to place the ball because it was on the ground but the referee made him take a drop. Faldo was not happy and made it clear that he would be taking the matter up with John Paramor after the round. Funny, the commentator at the time said Faldo knows the rules inside out and the ref is a brave man to argue with him but the commentator on the highlights later said Faldo was foolish to argue with a referee.

Turned out the ref was right of course. I wonder if Faldo ever apologised to him?! :eek: