Players not knowing the rules

LizAig

Visit site
I think there are a lot of players who deliberately don’t know or learn the rules: that way, in their eyes, if they breach a rule in their favour, then they are ‘not really cheating’ as they don’t know the rule.
Absolutely - that’s very common in our ladies section. Some will know a ruling from a fellow player isn’t correct but they follow it because it’s in their favour and then they think they can blame someone else to get away with a rule break.….then I get blamed for any DQs

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A generlly adequate rule of thumb, but Rules of Golf are, and have to be, more precise. It's the colour of the stakes or lines that define the type of penalty area, not the other way around - as demonstrated in the video in post 58 where the creek changes from running parallel to play to across play. Another example where the pond vs river (or creek) definition doesn't work is demonstrated by Thorndon Park's 3rd hole, where the tee shot is over a pond to a fairway that runs beside the pond, so Yellow stakes for the tee shot and red stakes, for the same pond, once on the fairway.
1. It's not a penalty area in my house, it's a water hazard.
2. Red starts with 'R' just like river which you can't normally drop behind as it runs laterally so must be dropped to the side.
So the other one which runs across the fairway must be yellow which you can't drop to the side because it runs laterally the other way so must be dropped behind.
I will concede that a river that runs across the fairway is not a pond but common sense would suggest that dropping behind is the only way to go.
3. It's just a good way to remember which one is which
3. It's a river, not a creek.