Players not knowing the rules

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I preferred the old days when red lateral water hazard was a river and the yellow water hazard was a pond.
Drop behind the pond and drop to the side of the river

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I preferred the old days when red lateral water hazard was a river and the yellow water hazard was a pond.

One of the big changes in 2019 was that there does not have to be water to have a penalty area. It could be anything a club deems suitable to be declared as such.
I wanted to create quite a few on our course but was unable to get the traditionalist on our committee to grasp that concept.

E.G one area on our course with a lot of trees and (currently 10" high grass under them) involves a 200 yard trek back up a very steep hill for a ball lost in there if you need to replay the shot.

D

Deleted member 31467

One of the big changes in 2019 was that there does not have to be water to have a penalty area. It could be anything a club deems suitable to be declared as such.
I wanted to create quite a few on our course but was unable to get the traditionalist on our committee to grasp that concept.

E.G one area on our course with a lot of trees and (currently 10" high grass under them) involves a 200 yard trek back up a very steep hill for a ball lost in there if you need to replay the shot.
Isn't that covered by playing a provisional ball?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Isn't that covered by playing a provisional ball?

Yes to sensible people however we all know how optimistic some players are.

Trouble is even finding your ball in there does not mean you can play it, finding it means you can no longer use the provisional ball. If it was a penalty area you could drop outside under penalty.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's astounding the number of people who either have no clue on even the basic rules. What are these people doing in comps?? Worste example has to have been a guy I played last year who has been a member of my club for at least 50 years and had no clue where he was supposed to drop when putting the ball on the beach. The sea and beach are in play on the first 7 holes. He tried to drop where his ball ended up rather than where it crossed the hazard, so 200 yards further on🤣

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It’s like this in Florida.
most areas off the playing surfaces are red penalty areas.
The reason is there are snakes and other wildlife in there and you don’t want to meet them.

Visit site
A generlly adequate rule of thumb, but Rules of Golf are, and have to be, more precise. It's the colour of the stakes or lines that define the type of penalty area, not the other way around - as demonstrated in the video in post 58 where the creek changes from running parallel to play to across play. Another example where the pond vs river (or creek) definition doesn't work is demonstrated by Thorndon Park's 3rd hole, where the tee shot is over a pond to a fairway that runs beside the pond, so Yellow stakes for the tee shot and red stakes, for the same pond, once on the fairway.

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not many will have seen this rule breach I would think…… yesterdays competition old boy around 75 high handicap missed a short putt then went to tap in but ball hit his shoe and ball fell into hole.

That’s a 8 he said to his marker😱

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Leather wedge!
He not only used a leather wedge on another hole he was in the rough with a poor lie he then put a tee down 🤷🏼‍♂ picked the ball up and placed it a foot in front of the tee 😂 took out a 3 wood and duffed it onto the fairway.

Next shot he drove it into ground and looked ahead to see where his ball went😂😂

Serves you right you cheating bugger thought I.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We used to run a junior golf grade certificate system
Grade 4 was the highest and the youngster was given two situations [ie unplayable ball] and was then asked to find the correct solution in a rule book.
Many aspiring golfers sailed through the golfing tests and even knew the correct answer but failed to find the rule in the book
I was a great way of showing them how to use a rule book.
They were advised to always carry a rule book in their bag.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes to sensible people however we all know how optimistic some players are.

Trouble is even finding your ball in there does not mean you can play it, finding it means you can no longer use the provisional ball. If it was a penalty area you could drop outside under penalty.
The weakness with designating a penalty area like the one you describe is the lack of clarity that a water boundary provides. The trees and knee high grass will not normally be maintained to a clear boundary line. And so lead to one of the regular rules breaches problems with this type of 'green' penalty area : 'I didnt find the ball, so it must be in the penalty area, so I will take a penalty drop'. Or worse, playing a provisional, not liking the outcome of the provisional, and then taking a drop from the first one. The only way green penalty areas can be made to work is if grass is cut to fairway length right up to a clear penalty area boundary, and the area in question is fully visible from where shot concerned are likely to be played. So difficult, and so why they are rare, and, many of those that exist, are probably a mistake.

Last edited:
Visit site

Seems a pretty good way to help pace of play. I think it would be over-ruled back to non-penalty area though if the course was used for high-level competitions though, as, effectively, it turns a 2 shot penalty into a 1 shot one.