Professionals flight

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
At my trip to Wentworth on Wednesday I was amazed at the ball flight that pros have.

It seems to start lowish, then rapidly climbs, hovers and then falls to the floor.

How the heck do they manage to get this "float" at the top of the flight?

For example this video of Rory, note how the ball seems to float at the very top of the flight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vvbfJ3EcTY

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Partly because they compress the golf ball at impact and drive it forward.

Most of us glance, clip, cut across the ball instead of continuing to move the club along the target line for a split second longer.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You know, that's exactly the way I always thought of it.

I've seen some amateurs get this, they all get the ball moving insanely fast.....glorious!

It's got to be about the backspin (hasn't it?).

basically yes, but overall you have to think about it in terms of energy transfer - which is why there is a focus on clubhead speed (measure of the amount of energy avaiable) ball speed and spin rate (both require energy) and launch angle - with the 'quality of strike' dictating how much of the available energy gets transferred and to what.

another way to think about it is that with 0 spin the ball will always follow the same basic path in the air with launch speed and trajectory dictating high or low the curve will be, but the same curve.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
This ball flight is not the most efficient in terms of distance. A rainbow flight is better for most golfers, who need to maximise distance. I guess some of the pros still hit this flight for control, and a soft landing.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's got to be about the backspin (hasn't it?).

The back spin causes a difference in air pressure betweent the bottom and top of the ball, causing it to rise in the same way an aircraft wing generates lift. Once this energy has been exhausted, the ball stalls and falls almost vertically. It's called the magnus effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i played with a fella the other night who plays off 8. this guy could hit a golf ball. he could send it out right like rory then have it drawing back and running up the fairway. absolutly awsome.

to show the difference in club head speed. at one of the par 3's i hit 4 iron and he hit a 7 iron. theres not too many golfers that have a 3club difference to me.

oh and every amature and ppl just taking up this game could learn from his swing. his backswing is so so slow, then he just unleashes through the ball.

i had only met the chap. i thought it would be a tad inappropriate to get out the phone to record his swing for analysis! :rofl: i was tempted!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's to do with the launch conditions. They launch it high but with low spin, this gives the appropriate trajectory to give height with the low spin rate allowing a shallow descent with good carry. Higher spin rates tend to hold the ball up then allow it to drop out the sky as the spin drops off.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
:rofl: one of my bros saturday partners has thee slowest swing speed in golf. he takes a driver to the par threes. even the short ones. he just hits it so softly that it doesnt even slice that much and doesnt get himself into too much trouble. terrible golfer all the same. civil guy though and no matter what happens on the course he never curses. i feel like giving him a good shake at times and telling him to bloody hit it!

cheers for the tips on the draw JO. i can now hook on command. did so away from danger a few times today off the tee. i let rip when i know its safe to do so. i understand the ball flight laws now but still hard to put into practice at times. cheers for the help anyhow!