180mph ball speed, only 260 carry on top tracer range

Mugginsasaurus

Visit site
Hi, First time posting on the forum.

I have had a couple of recent range sessions at Silvermere which Im struggling to understand.

Generally I have a low 170s ball speed, but was hitting it good so pushed it up to 180, very good strikes, 12 degree launch, visibly not spinny(flat flight), couldn't really hit it any better, but only getting a carry of 260ish on top tracer.

Any ideas why it is so low, everything was going a bit short but you'd still expect around 290-300 carry.

I have had previous visits there where the carry has been relatable with ball speed (310 carry going 340ish) that was even with an old stiff titleist 975J and 915 D3 so would be a fair bit more spin than the Mizuno ST-Z x -stiff (rdx smoke black) I have now.

Are the top tracer ranges that inconsistant or is it possible its something to do with how Im launching the ball?

Thanks

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Only 260yds carry? Feeble…?. 340yds…that’s more like it…?

Actually as much as I’d love to help I am unable to do so as those distances are on another planet for me…?. However there are some on here who will be able to advise (I don’t understand the stuff they talk about).

4LEX

Visit site
Was this in the evening? I've found TopTracer has trouble tracking high ball speeds from 3 woods and drivers when it's dark. Either not picking it up or inaccurate data...

D

Deleted member 23270

Excellent first post, you'll fit in well here :LOL:

Jason.H

Visit site
I’ve only been on a top tracer range once and found distances with my irons generous. Around ten yards over what I actually carry the ball with mid irons.

Mugginsasaurus

Visit site
Thanks, I'm obviously hoping its the top tracer rather than me, but the shorter sessions have been at night, so might be a thing. fully aware the range balls are supposed to be 10-15% shorter anyways.

Its a bit annoying when top tracer ranges are the only reasonable access to swing data, home SIM one day. I will compare with the Trackman range at Hoebridge next week and see what we get.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Whenever I've been to any sort of range like this, when a ball hits something and bounces off at an angle, the traces continues straight on. So I feel convinced they don't track the ball at all; they just guess from data generated when you hit the ball.

That’s exactly what happens.

Smokey Lomcevak

Visit site
I’m not as quick as you, but have noticed similar at Silvermere. In addition, I think it varies from bay to bay. I haven’t been to Hoebridge since they put their prices up to be on par with Silvermere, which is more convenient for me.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
fully aware the range balls are supposed to be 10-15% shorter anyways.

Not necessarily true (check with the range as to what they buy). I thought the Toptracer was calibrated according to what balls the club uses.

Distances appear to be correct where I play but I only use it during the daylight hours.

Mugginsasaurus

Visit site
Pants - I agree it doesn't matter too much if it goes well on the course, but also good to know how realistic the distances are to help with carry distances. The other night very thing was 10-yards under.

I have just got into the stats game recently and quite like trying to maximise the distance from the speed, always hit it quite far, but nice to figure out how to be more efficient and in turn more consistent too I think.

What I really need is a home simulator set up. One day

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Pants - I agree it doesn't matter too much if it goes well on the course, but also good to know how realistic the distances are to help with carry distances. The other night very thing was 10-yards under.

I have just got into the stats game recently and quite like trying to maximise the distance from the speed, always hit it quite far, but nice to figure out how to be more efficient and in turn more consistent too I think.

What I really need is a home simulator set up. One day
There are some launch monitors that are far more portable.
https://www.golfmonthly.com/buying-advice/best-portable-launch-monitors

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi, First time posting on the forum.

I have had a couple of recent range sessions at Silvermere which Im struggling to understand.

Generally I have a low 170s ball speed, but was hitting it good so pushed it up to 180, very good strikes, 12 degree launch, visibly not spinny(flat flight), couldn't really hit it any better, but only getting a carry of 260ish on top tracer.

Any ideas why it is so low, everything was going a bit short but you'd still expect around 290-300 carry.

I have had previous visits there where the carry has been relatable with ball speed (310 carry going 340ish) that was even with an old stiff titleist 975J and 915 D3 so would be a fair bit more spin than the Mizuno ST-Z x -stiff (rdx smoke black) I have now.

Are the top tracer ranges that inconsistant or is it possible its something to do with how Im launching the ball?

Thanks
You need to check the spin rates. I would guess they're too high.

Mugginsasaurus

Visit site
Just been to the trackman range at Hoebridge, once I did the ball normalisation I was getting more realistic numbers with all clubs. The drives were carrying 300+ so more inline with what I see on the YouTube golf channel SIM stuff.

Looks like top tracer is a little hit and miss, and not sure I have seen a normalisation setting. But looks like I'll be going trackman ranges a bit more when wanting to know my numbers.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve only been to 1 top tracer range but the distances given were way short of what I get on the course. Whether they were accurate or not for the balls I was hitting I don’t know, but not very useful information either way.