Turning speed into distance

NoIdea247

Visit site
I just put a driver back in the bag after a few months off after a few lessons with my coach seriously improved my game.

I went to the range for the first time with it today and the ideas I’ve picked up with my other clubs have definitely translated into better driver but I can’t help feel that my carry should be longer than I’m getting.

It’s a top tracer range and I’m getting balls speeds of 150mph but my carry numbers are c220-225. My ball flight is a very different to before, I’m now hitting a low to mid flight with a tiny draw. Launch angle of c12°.

If my ball speed is 150, with maximum efficiency this would be c100mph club speed(?), and with that carry I’m assuming I’m being the opposite of efficient.

I’m just curious what is the missing piece could be, thinking my flight is very different from my old high left to right flight but I’m still losing some efficiency. It’s not what I would expect from being a spin issue?

I have a lesson in a couple of weeks but it’s just peaked my curiosity - any ideas?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What ball were you using. If it was a range ball it will not give you optimum results.

You also need a high ball flight with low spin to give you a rainbow type ball flight. As already mentioned you need to hit up on the ball so tee it high, play it forward in your stance and have some backward body tilt to help you hit up.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just one of hundreds of videos showing the importance of correct tee height.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have always had this problem.
Recently at a fitting he said it is very dependant where on the face you strike the ball.
The face has a bulge on it and low on the face was 7.5*
Middle was 9*
Top was 10.5*
So if your hitting it low you may be getting it low on the face.
This does lower your launch angle a lot.
Some foot spray on your face will show where you strike the ball.

D

Deleted member 3432

I have always had this problem.
Recently at a fitting he said it is very dependant where on the face you strike the ball.
The face has a bulge on it and low on the face was 7.5*
Middle was 9*
Top was 10.5*
So if your hitting it low you may be getting it low on the face.
This does lower your launch angle a lot.
Some foot spray on your face will show where you strike the ball.

I picked up more ball speed at my last driver fitting by going to a shorter shaft and getting a consistent strike out of the centre of the club.

With the longer shaft strike was all over the place.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I picked up more ball speed at my last driver fitting by going to a shorter shaft and getting a consistent strike out of the centre of the club.

With the longer shaft strike was all over the place.
Yes a lot of pros have shorter shafts.
I know Pings tour shafts are shorter than standard shafts.
When the oems claim all this distance with a new driver it’s on a robot .
Most cappers would benefit from a shorter shaft imo.