Top Tracer Edinburgh

Lee762

Visit site
I have just moved to just outside Edinburgh and went to the top tracer range near by.

How accurate is the data from Top Tracer as it appears that I have lost 10-15yards per club compared to the trackman range I was going to previously.

For example my driver ball speed was 135mph but the carry was 185yards
My 4iron had a carry of 148yrds.

I could not find anywhere to normalise the ball data (like on the track man system)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Top Tracer is definitely shorter and less accurate than trackman. I also lost about 10-15 yards per club and then had to factor this in when playing the virtual courses.
Can't help on any adjustments though, not technically minded enough when it comes to computer stuff :rolleyes:

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
How was the wind? It affects TT.
Wouldn't expect it to match trackman, and think the settings vary from range to range. Would say the 2 closest to me are 'within tolerances' though.

Lee762

Visit site
How was the wind? It affects TT.
Wouldn't expect it to match trackman, and think the settings vary from range to range. Would say the 2 closest to me are 'within tolerances' though.

Trackman was normalised for wind (I am told that this effectively removes the wind factor).

Everything else regarding direction of flight etc was spot on but distance on the monitor was out. For example I hit a shot with a PW that carried over the 100yd marker (yes I know im a short hitter), on trackman I normally hit my PW around 110yds but Top Tracer was saying 85yds.

The range balls are wilson range balls, I have not used them before.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I had a lesson with a pro at a top tracer range and I hit a few in one of the bays before the lesson. When I got in I asked him how accurate it is as I struggled to get my driver over 200 yards in the TT bay. He said its about 10-15% shorter in general but that that might increase on the longer clubs.

Using his GC2 in the lesson I was comfortably over 230yards.

Having said that I used a TT range in penrith on the way up to silloth and that had me down for 270 yards driver and 180 yards 8 irons so it seems they can be inaccurate both ways!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
The Top Tracer at Hilden cannot 10-15% shorter, because that's the only place I can hit an 8 iron 173 yards and a 6 iron 192 yards!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220926-142308_Toptracer.jpg
    Screenshot_20220926-142308_Toptracer.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220926-142246_Toptracer.jpg
    Screenshot_20220926-142246_Toptracer.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 9

Lee762

Visit site
Just come back from another trip to the range. I spoke to someone who worked there and they said that TopTracer was not normalised and that due to the quality of the range ball the distances will be off by anything from 10-15%.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went to a Top Tracer range a couple of months back. There was a strong left-to-right wind on the day, consequently I had some funny results where the long clubs were about right, but the wedges lost up to 10 yards, I figured from the wind affecting them more and the ball holding up.

Ando

Visit site
Just come back from another trip to the range. I spoke to someone who worked there and they said that TopTracer was not normalised and that due to the quality of the range ball the distances will be off by anything from 10-15%.
Good to know. My ego was a bit bruised after a trip to the Toptracer near Edinburgh last winter!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If the numbers are off by 10 -15% ( would be useful to know which as it could make quite a difference) what is the point of these things.?
I get that you can have challenges and stuff like that on them but for pure stats it seems a waste of time.
Only time I've been on one and the unit was supposed to be normalised and I was hitting the range balls 135 yards with a 7 iron...found a real ball in the bucket and used that
All of a sudden that 135 yards was 150......:unsure:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If the numbers are off by 10 -15% ( would be useful to know which as it could make quite a difference) what is the point of these things.?
I get that you can have challenges and stuff like that on them but for pure stats it seems a waste of time.
Only time I've been on one and the unit was supposed to be normalised and I was hitting the range balls 135 yards with a 7 iron...found a real ball in the bucket and used that
All of a sudden that 135 yards was 150......:unsure:

on the rare occasions I use top tracer my irons are 15-20% shorter.

Bratty

Visit site
on the rare occasions I use top tracer my irons are 15-20% shorter.
Then I'm screwed on the course. My 6 iron went 200 yesterday!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221008_132247.jpg
    Screenshot_20221008_132247.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 8

evemccc

Visit site
Personally I have no interest in Top Tracer. I think they’re primarily of use and interest to those who aren’t members of clubs — because if you’re a member and play fairly often at your home course, and use a GPS, it should be pretty easy to figure out how far you hit each club…esp in real golf conditions (cos it’s on an actual golf course)

I can play my home course without a GPS really as I know which from tree, bunker, etc, I can carry a 9 iron to the green…if I underclub / overclub on my home course I make a point of remembering — and assuming it was a clean strike and not excessively windy, and then re-calibrate for next time

Almost all of my green misses at my home club are due to poor strike, not choosing the wrong club

Bratty

Visit site
Personally I have no interest in Top Tracer. I think they’re primarily of use and interest to those who aren’t members of clubs — because if you’re a member and play fairly often at your home course, and use a GPS, it should be pretty easy to figure out how far you hit each club…esp in real golf conditions (cos it’s on an actual golf course)

I can play my home course without a GPS really as I know which from tree, bunker, etc, I can carry a 9 iron to the green…if I underclub / overclub on my home course I make a point of remembering — and assuming it was a clean strike and not excessively windy, and then re-calibrate for next time

Almost all of my green misses at my home club are due to poor strike, not choosing the wrong club
I use it to track launch, ball speed and dispersion rather than distance (it just gives me that as an added bonus).
Some of the "games" are quite good for honing short game and approaches.
It's not just a distance tracker.

Bratty

Visit site
Bratty, I wish I could get my launch angle that low, my launch is over 30
About 7 years ago, I used to launch my 8 iron 25°, and the pro coaching me at the time told me that was an average Tour Pro's PW!
I think I've solved it by getting less handsy and not flipping at the ball. Now far more body turn and the arms follow.

Ando

Visit site
Ando, Same feeling here, lol

What range did you go to?

Apologies for the slow response. That was at Melville.

I went to the Braids driving range last night - hitting into the wind for the most part, and up the slope. At least those factors were a ready made excuse for less distance this time!