Trackman range

sjw

Visit site
There is a trackman range that's not long been open, semi-local to me. It's about 15 minutes further than my usual range. I'd be interested in learning more accurate numbers on my swing than Top Tracer can give me, but does it tell you things about the clubhead (like speed)? Or is it still just ball flight data, just more accurate?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
There is a trackman range that's not long been open, semi-local to me. It's about 15 minutes further than my usual range. I'd be interested in learning more accurate numbers on my swing than Top Tracer can give me, but does it tell you things about the clubhead (like speed)? Or is it still just ball flight data, just more accurate?

I believe its just the ball flight data.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The one near me has installed Trackman. It has a convert feature which allegedly changes the distances to the equivalent of a premium ball and I have to be honest it is around where I'd expect my average numbers to be. If you don't use it it measures how far the range ball actually goes and given the ones I'm using are reduced distance given the length of the range. I think it has ball speed but nothing clubhead related as I don't think a range version is set up in the same way. From my own limited experience I think it is a lot closer to the numbers I'd expect than TopTracer manages

HeftyHacker

Visit site

I'm equidistant from a toptracer and a trackman range but generally find myself at the toptracer range tbh as thats what my mates prefer. I don't think the trackman is any more accurate when I've used it and, as above, it's still only ballflight data.

Edit - There are loads of caveats and other factors to consider as well. TopTracer does have the option of ball normalisation (ie the difference between range and premium) but few seem to utilise it. The balls make a massive difference, it's only ballspeed data but I can find another 8 or 9 mph if I chuck a Pro V down with my driver.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not been to a trackman range but pro at my club uses trackman for lessons and it gives aoa, path etc. Do ranges have a budget version or do they just disable the club data?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Not been to a trackman range but pro at my club uses trackman for lessons and it gives aoa, path etc. Do ranges have a budget version or do they just disable the club data?

Your pro will have a proper trackman unit, will sit behind the mat and measure everything.

"Trackman range" is pretty much just their verison of TopTracer.

sjw

Visit site
Thanks all, that's what I expected. In that case, to learn more about my clubhead speed I'll probably book a lesson with my usual pro

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks all, that's what I expected. In that case, to learn more about my clubhead speed I'll probably book a lesson with my usual pro
To get the clubhead data you'll more than likely need to go to a Trackman or GC Quad pro and dot the clubs so the shot is read properly. Not sure of any range that offers this as standard. Certainly not local

Reactions: sjw

HeftyHacker

Visit site

Have a look around and see what sim ranges are nearby - one near me has just opened and I've found it pretty good for gapping sessions etc. However he's gone for the GC3 which, again, doesn't have clubhead speed. But to be honest I'm not too interested in that as I'd only really be bothered for driver and I go off ballspeed and then a bit of a judgement as to how good a strike it was to give me an idea as to how fast I'm swinging it. It helps that I tend to swing it at about just over 100mph so 150 ballspeed tells me it's a good strike. What I did find interesting was the spin rates off the various strikes.

My club has invested in a GC quad which does have clubhead data and this can be hired out for 20 quid an hour.

D

Deleted member 35504

I'm getting pretty threaders with the way ranges are going.

We have what I consider a really stupid situation in Plymouth where they're all going to launch monitors in every bay, but personally I think they're absolutely pants. One of them, the American Golf, has ridiculously soft/reduced distance balls but allegedly the monitor is set to "adjust", just means you're paying more for rubbish balls and hopelessly estimated distances. Worst thing is, now you have to book and rent a bay for an hour at a greatly increased rate...

Another one at Boringdon has the same adjusted monitors but switches between different types of balls. I'm pretty consistent at around 105mph /245ish driver / 135 yards carry 9 iron. Recently at the range I was "allegedly" carrying a 9 iron 165 and a driver 205...both utter nonsense but I'm paying extra for the priveledge as they have sub standard balls and adjusted launch monitors.

And to throw in some balance, China Fleet across the water is equally as bad with the the soft ball/adjusted distance BS, absolute waste of time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, if I wanted true numbers I would always go to an indoor sim, never trust an outdoor range no matter what gear they've got. Too many variables.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've posted this before referring to these things.
Local range installed it, it was supposed to adjust to a premium ball while using ordinary range balls.
My 7 iron distance was pinging up at 137ish yards......
Found a Srixon AD333 in the bucket, used that and all of a sudden my distance was 154.......
Haven't been back.

D

Deleted member 35504

Local range installed it, it was supposed to adjust to a premium ball while using ordinary range balls.
Found a Srixon AD333 in the bucket, used that and all of a sudden my distance was 154.......
Haven't been back.
Exactly.

They've completely lost sight of common sense in order to try and make more profit.

Nothing wrong of course with making the business more profitable, but people aren't stupid and paying extra when the numbers are obviously BLX isn't a sustainable long term way to go.

D-S

Visit site
Haven't been back.
Isn'y that correct though? as the machine was increasing the actual distance to compensate for a very low compression/ short range balls, then when you hit a standard compression / normal ball then it flew further than the range ball and that was 'enhanced ' by the software too. It is what I would expect.

sjw

Visit site
Isn'y that correct though? as the machine was increasing the actual distance to compensate for a very low compression/ short range balls, then when you hit a standard compression / normal ball then it flew further than the range ball and that was 'enhanced ' by the software too. It is what I would expect.
Was going to say the same thing. The "real" ball will also have the adjustment made.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah, if I wanted true numbers I would always go to an indoor sim, never trust an outdoor range no matter what gear they've got. Too many variables.
Why do you trust the equipment just because it is indoors? By using your logic then the distances people hit in American Golf are spot on 😀

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do you trust the equipment just because it is indoors? By using your logic then the distances people hit in American Golf are spot on 😀
Firstly you use your own golf balls, not range ones so no 'adjustment' required. Secondly it's not subject to wind, rain, temperature as an outdoor range would be. Thirdly I don't think there would be any incentive for a hired sim to boost the numbers, unlike AG they're not trying to sell you a club.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Haven't been back.

Surely it's programed for the range balls in a formula if you hit these balls then convert to longer because of the formula

So stick in a normal ball it will convert on the same formula but that ball goes further because it's a normal ball not one of their range balls

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely it's programed for the range balls in a formula if you hit these balls then convert to longer because of the formula

So stick in a normal ball it will convert on the same formula but that ball goes further because it's a normal ball not one of their range balls
Following up on this for the OP

I got fit for a driver. I took the balls I use with me so it would be fit for them and not prov1

My pro got me to hit the same ball so as it to give as much of the same data as possible from a ball

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use “The Beeches” at Knutsford which is a trackman range. It’s really good. Great food and coffee (beers if you prefer) as well.

If you use the “convert” feature, you’ll find all the readings are accurate. Ranges usually bore me but 50 balls practise and a round at Dornoch / Birkdale is good fun.