Trackman range

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It was funny, as I said I was playing with a mate taking turns on the same bay, and it failed to pick up his shot 6 or 7 times, whereas to me it only happened once I think. Not sure what he was doing differently, or it was just bad luck for him.

Another annoyance but slightly unrelated - when he missed the green it would give him an auto up-and-down most of the time, even out of bunkers, yet one of the times I hit the green it gave me a bloody three-putt from only 20 feet! And that machine hasn't even seen me putt so how would it know??
Your reputation precedes you lol

sjw

Visit site
It was funny, as I said I was playing with a mate taking turns on the same bay, and it failed to pick up his shot 6 or 7 times, whereas to me it only happened once I think. Not sure what he was doing differently, or it was just bad luck for him.

Another annoyance but slightly unrelated - when he missed the green it would give him an auto up-and-down most of the time, even out of bunkers, yet one of the times I hit the green it gave me a bloody three-putt from only 20 feet! And that machine hasn't even seen me putt so how would it know??
As few as 6 or 7? I would've killed for that the other night

I've noticed that it does go through a stage around dusk where it struggles; it's generally alright in the day and when it's dark but the transition period screws it up.

The other night was a joke, though. No excuses, it just seemed broken. And then as it got later the distances got shorter even though other readings were the same. Bizarre

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As few as 6 or 7? I would've killed for that the other night

I've noticed that it does go through a stage around dusk where it struggles; it's generally alright in the day and when it's dark but the transition period screws it up.

The other night was a joke, though. No excuses, it just seemed broken. And then as it got later the distances got shorter even though other readings were the same. Bizarre
Yeah, they're definitely not good in low light, but we were there around midday, haha.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

It had obviously read some of your game reports on here 😂😂

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The Top Tracer range near me is absolute bobbins. The numbers just don’t add up.

The range is only 240 yard from mat to the back fence so they will be using shorter flight balls with compensation on.

Last week I was in the bay next to my son. Both hitting 7 irons he was getting over 150 carry, I was just over 130. Which you could see was completely wrong.

Now, if we were both hitting at the same time it could have been possible the bays were mixed up, but we tested that.

It seems to be not far out on wedges then gets worse the longer the club.

Highlight of the evening was an older gent being given a 180 ball speed 😂

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We've got an https://www.inrangegolf.com/ system at my local range.
Morpeth? I normally go to Parklands as it's nearer, but I do prefer this one. The InRange system seems pretty good. The 9 hole golf course attached to it is absolutely horrendous though!

Our club has an indoor SIM. Can't recall the make, but it is absolutely terrible. You need to hit off a small tee, the room is very dark, and you spend more time trying to find the tees than hitting balls.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Morpeth? I normally go to Parklands as it's nearer, but I do prefer this one. The InRange system seems pretty good. The 9 hole golf course attached to it is absolutely horrendous though!

Our club has an indoor SIM. Can't recall the make, but it is absolutely terrible. You need to hit off a small tee, the room is very dark, and you spend more time trying to find the tees than hitting balls.
Ufford Park in Suffolk

The range was already very good by comparison with most, but got totally renovated last summer with new power tees, the InRnage system, new balls....prices went up of course but use of the range has utterly skyrocketed...so much so that there are regular queues on a Saturday.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We installed a Trackman Range and they said it would take 2-3 months for it to "learn" the physical geography of the range.

It's pretty good and picks up the vast majority of the shots hit - particularly on the bays towards the middle of the range.

Do I trust the numbers - not really, but the state of the weather at the moment means the balls are not flying anywhere near how they would in the summer.

One thing's for sure - it's popular. at the weekend most bays are full and the majority are buying 100 ball buckets to play competitions and games.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ufford Park in Suffolk

The range was already very good by comparison with most, but got totally renovated last summer with new power tees, the InRnage system, new balls....prices went up of course but use of the range has utterly skyrocketed...so much so that there are regular queues on a Saturday.
Ah right. For some reason I thought you were in the NE.

sjw

Visit site
Ufford Park in Suffolk

Nice, I've been there a couple of times. I've only played from the top level. Couldn't decide if I liked the system more or less than Toptracer. I liked some of the games on InRange but I prefer how Toptracer handles the virtual golf.

On the topic of the thread, from my couple of uses I felt like InRange was generous with the readings - but then I wondered a) does it account for the fact that you're playing off the top tier and b) maybe I've got used to Toptracer numbers. If I had to guess, I'd say that InRange was slightly generous with iron shots but gave more accurate driver readings.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Nice, I've been there a couple of times. I've only played from the top level. Couldn't decide if I liked the system more or less than Toptracer. I liked some of the games on InRange but I prefer how Toptracer handles the virtual golf.

On the topic of the thread, from my couple of uses I felt like InRange was generous with the readings - but then I wondered a) does it account for the fact that you're playing off the top tier and b) maybe I've got used to Toptracer numbers. If I had to guess, I'd say that InRange was slightly generous with iron shots but gave more accurate driver readings.
The range at Ufford plays very slightly down hill after 80 yards or so....might have to measure the slope with my rangefinder the next visit. I believe that the system tries to compensate for this and if you download your stats the InRange system gives "range yardages" and "flat yardages". Doing some quick maths, the "flat" yardages are 88% of the "normal" yardage....this is consistent across all clubs.

However, all my play is from the lower tier. I wonder if the "adjustment" is different from the upper tier....might be something to try one day.

Reactions: sjw

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The range at Ufford plays very slightly down hill after 80 yards or so....might have to measure the slope with my rangefinder the next visit. I believe that the system tries to compensate for this and if you download your stats the InRange system gives "range yardages" and "flat yardages". Doing some quick maths, the "flat" yardages are 88% of the "normal" yardage....this is consistent across all clubs.

However, all my play is from the lower tier. I wonder if the "adjustment" is different from the upper tier....might be something to try one day.
Ok...the downhill adjustment done by the InRange system is way too aggressive. Although the slope looks quite big, in reality it is flatter than you think it is

Lasering the 150yd flag my Bushnell showed an adjusted "playing" yardage of 147yds. The 175yd flag adjusted playing distance was 170yds.

sjw

Visit site
Ok...the downhill adjustment done by the InRange system is way too aggressive. Although the slope looks quite big, in reality it is flatter than you think it is

Lasering the 150yd flag my Bushnell showed an adjusted "playing" yardage of 147yds. The 175yd flag adjusted playing distance was 170yds.
I'm a little lost, sorry. I'm understanding that you were on the bottom tier, and that you think the flat carry distances are pessimistic. Is that correct?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm a little lost, sorry. I'm understanding that you were on the bottom tier, and that you think the flat carry distances are pessimistic. Is that correct?

Yes, even from the lower tier, the range plays slightly downhill. The system calculates a "flat carry" distance, in addition to the "measured carry"....this flat carry distance is always 88% of the measured distance. I believe that this is a gross under-estimate. Even for a 50 yard shot, where the range is absolutely level, it will display a "flat carry" distance of 45 yards or thereabouts which is plainly nonsense.

sjw

Visit site
At Toptracer today I left very frustrated. Partly was because of my inability to hit driver, but partly was because the numbers seem just really, really odd.

I started out hitting some 6-irons, where I didn't start off too well, but then hit some the longest I ever have (195 carry). I actually could believe that as there was a strong wind behind, and I typically carry around the 180 range (all Toptracer numbers, although for irons, it seems to be accurate, generally).

Then comes driver. Driver is a different story altogether. I wasn't striking it very well, granted. But I really struggled to get more than 230 carry, apart from the odd one that hit the 250 carry mark. Those were often ones that felt skied, and launched at, apparently, 20 degrees. We're talking 14 degree launch, 155 average ball speed.

For a laugh, I whacked a proper ball down the range as my very last ball. This time, I looked at the "real" numbers rather than the "normalised" numbers. I had 147mph ball speed, 14 degree launch, 240 carry. According to the flightscope trajectory optimiser, these numbers are about right.

So basically, what Toptracer said a proper ball would do is not what a proper ball did - but I'm completely baffled as to whether it's the measurement or the compensation that is off. Certainly all the parameters don't seem to scale together.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

Yes, even from the lower tier, the range plays slightly downhill. The system calculates a "flat carry" distance, in addition to the "measured carry"....this flat carry distance is always 88% of the measured distance. I believe that this is a gross under-estimate. Even for a 50 yard shot, where the range is absolutely level, it will display a "flat carry" distance of 45 yards or thereabouts which is plainly nonsense.
The folks at InRange have acknowledged that there is a bug in their system that means the flat carry distances are calculated incorrectly.

They have a fix ready to be released with a future software update. They say the update is to the app....but I see the same error on the systems screens at the range.

We will see if it gets fixed any time soon.

At least they responded to my contact with them in a reasonably timely fashion.

Reactions: sjw

sjw

Visit site
The folks at InRange have acknowledged that there is a bug in their system that means the flat carry distances are calculated incorrectly.

They have a fix ready to be released with a future software update. They say the update is to the app....but I see the same error on the systems screens at the range.

We will see if it gets fixed any time soon.

At least they responded to my contact with them in a reasonably timely fashion.
Maybe you can get on to Toptracer while you're at it and tell them to get it together 😂

D

Deleted member 35504

Agreed, 12% compensation is way too much.

The steepest fairway at my place, which is fairly steep, shows playing 7-8 yards longer at around 140-150 from the pin, ie about 5%.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Went to a local TopTracer (Lavender Park near Ascot). Some very strange results including a shot that landed on the 150 yard island front and right but sowed as a 46 yard duck hook. Played some games rather than working on technique too much and playing an approach game and a shot from 133 yards on a simulated hole at Pinehurst which I flushed and it said it went about 50 yards. Some big discrepancies on distances when I was in practice mode warming up especially on distances with my 8 and 9 iron which were going visible further than the numbers showing.