Pro V1 - Worth the money?

sussexhacker

Visit site
What will they actually have changed with it over 3 years?
If they’ve changed anything at all you might find a robot will tell you it spins 50 rpm more or it will gain you 0.1 yards over the 2017 ball but no human will be able to tell the difference between them

D

Deleted member 23270

A lot of pros on tour use older versions of balls.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's my clubhead speed.
I agree also that the Pro v does not suit all players.
I'd like to try the ball you have found best for your game.
So, please, can you say what ball you use..?
I use Velocity. I find I get good distance, it holds pretty straight, and it's still soft enough that it feels fine chipping and putting. They've just 'revamped' it and put the price up to £25 but last years version is still available for £20 so I bought another box the other day.

Driver spin with a prov1 is comparable to a 2 piece distance ball. The pro v doesn't slice Anymore than the next ball.
I just don't buy that. How can it spin more in one scenario and not in the other scenario? The ball doesn't know what you're hitting or what you want it to do does it? It either spins more or it doesn't.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Golf balls have layers
As you hit the ball harder, different layers get compressed
On a short shot it's only the cover that gets compressed so a softer, urethane cover spins more than a firmer surlyn cover ( ProV : Velocity)
With the driver you're hitting the ball hard so will compress the ball more
The velocity has a core and a cover, a ProV a core and 2 covers - the middle cover provides extra spin on medium shots
When you use the driver on the velocity you compress to the core
When you use the driver on a ProV you also compress to the core
The cover has little or no effect at the speeds you hit with the driver
So the balls come off the driver with similar spin so a slice will go similarly right with either ball.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golf balls have layers
As you hit the ball harder, different layers get compressed
On a short shot it's only the cover that gets compressed so a softer, urethane cover spins more than a firmer surlyn cover ( ProV : Velocity)
With the driver you're hitting the ball hard so will compress the ball more
The velocity has a core and a cover, a ProV a core and 2 covers - the middle cover provides extra spin on medium shots
When you use the driver on the velocity you compress to the core
When you use the driver on a ProV you also compress to the core
The cover has little or no effect at the speeds you hit with the driver
So the balls come off the driver with similar spin so a slice will go similarly right with either ball.
I don't hit it that hard though. :p

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I use Velocity. I find I get good distance, it holds pretty straight, and it's still soft enough that it feels fine chipping and putting. They've just 'revamped' it and put the price up to £25 but last years version is still available for £20 so I bought another box the other day.

I just don't buy that. How can it spin more in one scenario and not in the other scenario? The ball doesn't know what you're hitting or what you want it to do does it? It either spins more or it doesn't.
You don't buy what? I'm not sure what you're saying.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
For me, yes. I have tried loads of others, and I keep going back to a Pro V. I do like the better Bridgestones and TP5's, also like the Wilson DX2's (nice winter ball).

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
What will they actually have changed with it over 3 years?
If they’ve changed anything at all you might find a robot will tell you it spins 50 rpm more or it will gain you 0.1 yards over the 2017 ball but no human will be able to tell the difference between them
They got Rickie Fowler to paint some triangles on them. ???

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone play Pro V1’s over any other ball?

Currently playing Supersofts but have a big stock which I am thinking of selling some to buy some Pro V1’s

Any alternatives comparable to Pro V1’s anyone would recommend to give a go?

They are worth the money if you don't lose many. And if you are losing 1 or 2 balls every round, then probably doesn't matter what ball you use.

Note that soft balls are slow and you will almost certainly lose distance with them. You 'might' get more control around the greens... but that's if you really have sufficient speed and skill to really add spin / check to a ball.

Having read reports and watched videos on this, Pro V1 is the best of both worlds. Also, as it's the most popular ball then when you do lose one and are tramping about in the rough, there's a decent chance you will find a replacement.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They are worth the money if you don't lose many. And if you are losing 1 or 2 balls every round, then probably doesn't matter what ball you use.

Note that soft balls are slow and you will almost certainly lose distance with them. You 'might' get more control around the greens... but that's if you really have sufficient speed and skill to really add spin / check to a ball.

Having read reports and watched videos on this, Pro V1 is the best of both worlds. Also, as it's the most popular ball then when you do lose one and are tramping about in the rough, there's a decent chance you will find a replacement.
It's not the most popular ball at the courses I play, lol. Finding a ProV is quite rare, the most common find seems to be the cheap or mid-priced Callaway balls, or Srixon Soft Feels.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

i would disagree with that, i use the Supersoft over winter, prob the lowest comp ball around and i find i lose none of my summer distance with said ball, i'm hitting it longer sometimes as there is little spin on the ball so can sometimes take less club that i would with the Prov1, which in the wrong conditions can sometimes be losing 20 yards off a iron witha low temp and air presure

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I suspect that if I ran out of Pro V1/V1xs - all of which are pick-ups - and if I didn't have a doz new AVXs gifted to me - I doubt that I'd buy any ProV1/V1xs at the moment. My golf at the moment is just not worth the expense, and a medium cost ball would do all that is required by me of a ball.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still one of the funniest things in golf - 20+ handicappers extolling the virtues of different premium golf balls claiming they can tell the difference or the effect it has on their swings.

On a slightly less flippant point, how many mid-high handicap golfers would really tell the difference between two and three piece balls simply by hitting. I really think it's something someone needs to do as a magazine piece or video. I don't think they would tell a Pro V from a Chromesoft and doubt many will tell if you chuck and ADdd 333 tour into the mix and even an AD333. They might "feel" different but I bet most wouldn't have a clue what they've hit

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It's not the most popular ball at the courses I play, lol. Finding a ProV is quite rare, the most common find seems to be the cheap or mid-priced Callaway balls, or Srixon Soft Feels.

It's popular enough at mine. Still get a few Srixons and others, but if you go to a few spots left or right of the fairways then can usually find one or two.