Pro V1 - Worth the money?

D

Deleted member 23270

Worth the money ?

Why would anyone consider using anything else, unless you're an absolute digger then anything will do but if you have any desires to be your best, then you would use the best, surely.
You can use a Snell/Vice/Pearl etc for 2/3rds of the price or pay all that extra for a 1% gain. You pays your money and makes your choice.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you don't lose many balls they are worth it as they are more durable than the cheaper balls. As for performance, how many pro's are using AD333's or similar on the tours?
Given that their clubhead speed is 110+, AD333s are not really 'their' sort of ball!

In fact, NO Titleist attached Pro I know uses Pro V1 - they all use Pro V1x.

And that also provides the 'solution'! You should play the ball that performs best for you/you like best!

Golf is an 'aspirational' recreation - and golf hardware suppliers use that for maximum profit!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Worth the money ?

Why would anyone consider using anything else, unless you're an absolute digger then anything will do but if you have any desires to be your best, then you would use the best, surely.
Rubbish. Best for you isn't necessarily best for the next man.

Let's take a second to remember that the best golfer of all time doesn't play a ProV, he plays a Bridgestone. So you can hardly say it's categorically the best ball. Unless you think Tiger deliberately weakens his game.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Not worth it for me, and I'm not talking about losing them because I really don't lose many balls. I think it depends on your game personally. People say they're the best ball because they get loads of spin, but to me that just means they're going to fade offline too much on my drives, and round the green it is useless because I mostly play 8 iron chip and runs. I can't get any distance with premium balls either because my swing speed is only 84mph. So no point me throwing more money on a ball that doesn't suit me anyway. I just want something long and straight that doesn't feel like a rock, and thankfully that can be obtained for £20 a box.

That's my clubhead speed.
I agree also that the Pro v does not suit all players.
I'd like to try the ball you have found best for your game.
So, please, can you say what ball you use..?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I’ve posted this comment before but it may add to the discussion.
A visiting ball salesman (Titleist as it happens) told our interested group “ there‘s not a club golfer who can ‘feel’ the difference between balls, but we can ‘hear’ the difference.”
I get what he's saying and I'd largely agree but feel and sound d are so closely linked when it comes to golf you're really talking about the same thing.
So you may not be able to feel, in the true sense of the word, a Pinnacle from a ProV on a dead centred hit, you will be able to hear a difference and that's what constitutes "feel" in the golfing sense.
Off centre hits - I bet most people could pick a ProV from a Pinnacle with a blindfold and headphones..

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
What exactly do you class as “feel”?
sound?
I’m not sure you can tell the difference between 2 top of the range balls based on the impact between a piece of metal and a golf ball!
Not sure it matters, even if you only think you can tell the difference, if you’re happier stood over the ball that’s enough - especially on horrible little short shots that are easy to lose confidence on

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I’ve posted this comment before but it may add to the discussion.
A visiting ball salesman (Titleist as it happens) told our interested group “ there‘s not a club golfer who can ‘feel’ the difference between balls, but we can ‘hear’ the difference.”
I've actually tested this - at a premium fitting studio - and I disagree! And I don't believe I'm 'special'.

But sound certainly provides a large contribution to 'feel'!

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
It makes me smile when golfers will spend in excess of £450 for a driver, yet moan about the cost of a golf ball!

You jest, £45 for 12, lose 3 or 4 a round, play 4 times a week. You could lose a box a week, £45x52 = over £2,000. Even if you lose 2 a round and play 4 times a week thats still £1,500 plus.

Lets be fair if you lose a lot of balls it can soon mount up. Be a parent i'm paying for mine and 2 juniors balls as well, it aint cheap.

And juniors copy there heroes and parents, can just see me saying im playing Prov1 and here is your pinnacle, now run along..

Fish

Banned
Visit site
You jest, £45 for 12, lose 3 or 4 a round, play 4 times a week. You could lose a box a week, £45x52 = over £2,000. Even if you lose 2 a round and play 4 times a week thats still £1,500 plus.

Lets be fair if you lose a lot of balls it can soon mount up. Be a parent i'm paying for mine and 2 juniors balls as well, it aint cheap.

And juniors copy there heroes and parents, can just see me saying im playing Prov1 and here is your pinnacle, now run along..

Anyone losing that amount of balls whilst playing that much, needs to sell their clubs and buy some Bowls ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Worth the money ?

Tosh

Very little difference for the average golfer between any of the premium brands (if a handicap golfer could tell the difference anyway). Don't believe the hype