Pro V1 - Worth the money?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
It’s not just about short game feel though, the difference between iron spin between premium balls is upward of 1000rpm, on a 7iron. That’s 15% difference at the optimum.

With a driver it’s about 700rpm (about 30%). That’s a substantial difference.

Just not true, crossfield testing a velocity against a prov1.
Short gane the prov1 is awesome everywhere else it behaves like a distance ball, which is What you want .

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's popular enough at mine. Still get a few Srixons and others, but if you go to a few spots left or right of the fairways then can usually find one or two.
I find loads of Srixon AD333s and Softfeels, and Callaway Supersofts. But plenty of premium balls are lost (and found :) ). Pity we are digging out loads of gorse as some of the areas of gorse were 'prime finder' locations ... ah well...

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I find loads of Srixon AD333s and Softfeels, and Callaway Supersofts. But plenty of premium balls are lost (and found :) ). Pity we are digging out loads of gorse as some of the areas of gorse were 'prime finder' locations ... ah well...

Yeh - it's always nice when you lose a ball into some thick stuff. You might not always find your ball but usually come up with something.

My course is fairly generous off the tee so can often go through a few rounds without losing a ball, plus sorted out my driving this time last year so has led me to become a bit more invested in having a decent ball given that a dozen last a reasonable amount of time. But prior to that it was lake balls on E-Bay.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeh - it's always nice when you lose a ball into some thick stuff. You might not always find your ball but usually come up with something.

My course is fairly generous off the tee so can often go through a few rounds without losing a ball, plus sorted out my driving this time last year so has led me to become a bit more invested in having a decent ball given that a dozen last a reasonable amount of time. But prior to that it was lake balls on E-Bay.

I know EastRen very well - well I know the layout - but when I was a member there were no trees :) Back then there was nothing to stop balls winging their way into the deep moorland rough that lined the fairways - now you have trees to bounce off and less need for the deep rough so close to a good line.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
depends where you are looking, when i walked Balrick across torvean we would find 70% would be AD333, you search and Nairn, Dornoch and maybe Castle stuart its all Prov1's. on his last trip to Dornoch before he died he found round 50 brand new PV1 in tyhe gorse on the left of the 6th, filled one of the side pocket of my tour bag

D

Deleted member 23270

i would disagree with that, i use the Supersoft over winter, prob the lowest comp ball around and i find i lose none of my summer distance with said ball, i'm hitting it longer sometimes as there is little spin on the ball so can sometimes take less club that i would with the Prov1, which in the wrong conditions can sometimes be losing 20 yards off a iron witha low temp and air presure
Congratulations on being probably the only person on the planet who hits the ball as far in the winter as you do in the summer.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Congratulations on being probably the only person on the planet who hits the ball as far in the winter as you do in the summer.
no, there 3 of us at nairn who all use the Prov1 in summer and are using the SS in winter, one of the guys tried carrying on using the SS once we got out of winter and the greens a firmed up, he was convinced he hit the SS further... didn't last long, they just do not stop on a firm green

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I tend to stick with the premium balls. I was using Chromesofts as you could get them for £23 a dozen for most of the year but when I changed to a spider putter they were just far too soft off the putter face.

I then changed to the srixon XV as it was a bit firmer and got 3 dozen for £69 during the 3 for 2 deal.

I do have two boxes of prov1's there. One i got off Facebook for £20 brand new and the other I got in AG for £30 (overrun logo ball with my initials on it, was just good timing) and I also had my £10 birthday voucher so that technically made them £20.

Keep an eye out on FB and Gumtree and you can sometimes get people offloading boxes for a good price.

Also remember at the start of the year Titleist do a 4 for 3 offer which makes it about £120 for 4 boxes. Find someone you know and split them.

Personally I would not pay the £42/45 some pro shops and retailers ask for them. Although they cost the retailer around £34 a dozen to buy so they are not making a lot of money off each box sold.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
no, there 3 of us at nairn who all use the Prov1 in summer and are using the SS in winter, one of the guys tried carrying on using the SS once we got out of winter and the greens a firmed up, he was convinced he hit the SS further... didn't last long, they just do not stop on a firm green

SS is a low spin golf ball. A lot of people think soft means spin which is completely incorrect

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I know EastRen very well - well I know the layout - but when I was a member there were no trees :) Back then there was nothing to stop balls winging their way into the deep moorland rough that lined the fairways - now you have trees to bounce off and less need for the deep rough so close to a good line.

I'm not sure how many trees you actually bounce off.

However there are definitely plans afoot to significantly reduce the number of trees. A huge number went in in the 70s... well into the thousands. And these are now mature, blocking light and air to parts of the course.

New course manager has been assessing and I'd imagine a number of holes will be treeless by this time next year. I'd guess trees between 16 & 17, as well as trees between 16 and 2. And especially trees around the 9th and 10th fairways will be the 'easy wins' that won't change playability, but will help with grass growth.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
depends where you are looking, when i walked Balrick across torvean we would find 70% would be AD333, you search and Nairn, Dornoch and maybe Castle stuart its all Prov1's. on his last trip to Dornoch before he died he found round 50 brand new PV1 in tyhe gorse on the left of the 6th, filled one of the side pocket of my tour bag

It does indeed depend. On my track we had a quite large area of gorse short left of a drive-able (for bigger boys) par 4 (7th) The next hole (8th) required a tee shot over that same area of gorse - starting some 25yds from the tee. In the gorse the fairway side of the 7th I'd find premium balls (lost from the tee with folk going for the green) - on the tee side of the gorse on the 8th I'd find a load of cheapo balls (topped tee shots :) ). The gorse has now all gone from there :(

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah the typical GM forum response. , you've shown your ignorance I've no desire to spoon feed you.
So someone that’s tested golf balls extensively, plays to a high standard, works in the industry and also has proof through multiple different ball tests (using robots) is wrong, but a crossfield Fan boy is correct?

Be serious.

There was 1800rpm spin between 2 balls I tested myself with a 7iron ffs

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
So someone that’s tested golf balls extensively, plays to a high standard, works in the industry and also has proof through multiple different ball tests (using robots) is wrong, but a crossfield Fan boy is correct?

Be serious.

There was 1800rpm spin between 2 balls I tested myself with a 7iron ffs
Well you've offered nothing so far beyond dismissive posts and insults.
I don't even know what your point is.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well you've offered nothing so far beyond dismissive posts and insults.
I don't even know what your point is.
You’ve told me, I’m wrong by saying people shouldnt use the right ball because there is no difference outside of short game.

I’ve given you specific numbers that I can validate?

You’ve also chosen to be insulted by me calling you a Crossfield Fan
boy.

Fact of the matter is the large major of amateur golfers don’t have the technique to get any spin or control on short game anyway - making the characteristics on driver and irons even more important