Pro V1 - Worth the money?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have a look at Vice golf balls - perform very well and are half the price of pro vs.....the only question mark is over their durability
How can you post under Jimmy T and then not use a picture of the legend himself, unless he is Batman of course?

images

Springveldt

Visit site
Have a look at Vice golf balls - perform very well and are half the price of pro vs.....the only question mark is over their durability
Vice balls are just all marketing to me. Yes, they should be decent since they are 3 piece and have a urethane cover but they are coming from a Chinese supplier that makes the same ball for lots of different companies. If I was going that route I would be buying Snell, at least that guy knows what he's talking about and the balls are made to his spec.

As for the soft ball thing, I've always found a softer ball goes further off my irons (even the urethane covered ones) but shorter off the tee. For example, on GC2 last year I was around 5 yards longer with a TM Project(a) compared to a Bridgestone Tour B X with my irons but the Tour B X was better off the tee, it was over 3mph faster on ball speed.

I've only played a few times over the winter but when I switched from the Tour B X to a yellow AD333 that I found, I noticed straight away that I was hitting my summer Tour B X carry distances with the AD333 ball while the Tour B X was down 5 or even 10 yards.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
All he needs to do is adjust his landing spot.
Not always possible and he had massive roll out with a wedge meaning he could land the front and be off the back. As I’m sure you know yourself, playing for short of the green is not only thought but can cause irrational results compared to hitting the green. He’s much more consistent now.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Vice balls are just all marketing to me.

And Titleist isn't???? Just think how much Titleist are paying top pros to "game" their ball, and just who is paying for that? Yep. You mugs :ROFLMAO:

But thanks anyway. I'll happily use them, and most other reasonable quality balls you mugs lose only for me to find. Strangely enough, I don't find anywhere near as many Pro V1x's as Pro V1's. Not sure if peeps don't lose so many as they take far lesser side spin, or not so many are sold.

Reactions: JT.

User20204

Visit site
Strangely enough, I don't find anywhere near as many Pro V1x's as Pro V1's. Not sure if peeps don't lose so many as they take far lesser side spin, or not so many are sold.

My pro told me the prov out sells the x in his shop by 10 to 1.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
My pro told me the prov out sells the x in his shop by 10 to 1.

Could be a) 10 times as many peeps fall for the hype or b) 10 times more ProV's go more off line lol.

Titleist had a "ball fitting" (promotion) at our club some years ago and naturally as it was free and you got some balls I went along. My swing shape is out to in and the Titleist "fitter" recommended either the ProV1x or NXT Tour as the ProV1 would take too much side spin off full shots.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Could be a) 10 times as many peeps fall for the hype or b) 10 times more ProV's go more off line lol.

Titleist had a "ball fitting" (promotion) at our club some years ago and naturally as it was free and you got some balls I went along. My swing shape is out to in and the Titleist "fitter" recommended either the ProV1x or NXT Tour as the ProV1 would take too much side spin off full shots.
The hype is justified to a degree, it is a fantastic ball and one that revolutionised the game, for the pros at least.
Just these days you can find comparable balls for half the price.

D

Deleted member 3432

For anyone interested TXG youtube channel have been doing some ball testing recently and the results are interesting.

Reading this thread there appears to be confusion regarding Pro V1/1x and which is the higher/lower spinning model.

Interesting that Titleist have made a custom issue Pro V1x left dash which is lower spinning just to confuse things further.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whist on the subject, can anyone confirm that (other than markings on the ball or box) is there and discernible difference between the 2020/2019/2018/2017 ......ProV1 ball - other than price and hype of course

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Whist on the subject, can anyone confirm that (other than markings on the ball or box) is there and discernible difference between the 2020/2019/2018/2017 ......ProV1 ball - other than price and hype of course
There will be. Robot testing would show it.
But, I suspect, you and I would struggle to find it

D

Deleted member 3432

It will spin less than the Pro V1x

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
For anyone interested TXG youtube channel have been doing some ball testing recently and the results are interesting.

Reading this thread there appears to be confusion regarding Pro V1/1x and which is the higher/lower spinning model.

Interesting that Titleist have made a custom issue Pro V1x left dash which is lower spinning just to confuse things further.
Very hard to get hold of over here. I’ve been trying to source a dozen for a while and the ‘order from Titleist stockists’ Wording applies to the states only ?

Springveldt

Visit site
And Titleist isn't???? Just think how much Titleist are paying top pros to "game" their ball, and just who is paying for that? Yep. You mugs :ROFLMAO:

But thanks anyway. I'll happily use them, and most other reasonable quality balls you mugs lose only for me to find. Strangely enough, I don't find anywhere near as many Pro V1x's as Pro V1's. Not sure if peeps don't lose so many as they take far lesser side spin, or not so many are sold.
I don't play Titleists balls but yes, Vice (was) mostly marketing. They were selling a generic Urethane covered ball that lots of other DTC companies where selling (the ones Titleist sued for patent infringements) while charging more than most of the other companies and marketing the "German engineering" spiel while they did zero engineering.

Don't get me wrong, that generic ball was a good ball that most amateurs wouldn't notice the difference from a ProV1 but their whole engineering thing really grated on me.

Springveldt

Visit site
The ProV1 and ProV1x kinda switched roles over the last few years with the x spinning more. It used to be the x was the low spinning model out of the 2 of them.

Very hard to get hold of over here. I’ve been trying to source a dozen for a while and the ‘order from Titleist stockists’ Wording applies to the states only ?
I was going to ask the Pro at my course if he can get some of these after watching that TXG video. Doesn't sound promising.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Anyone come across any Seed balls yet?
I've found a couple of the SD-01 and, to be honest, they're as good as anything else out there unless you're a very low handicapper who can tell the difference.
They're relatively soft, they spin etc etc...