Pro V1 - Worth the money?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
You’ve told me, I’m wrong by saying people shouldMy use the right ball because there is no difference outside of short game.

I’ve given you specific numbers that I can fully validate?

You’ve also chosen to be insulted by me calling you a Crossfield Fan
boy. It’s quite clear you find his word gospel...
?????
Oh dear hissy fit of the week.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Not at all. I’m just clarifying your points...

Anyway, crossfield has just uploaded another video for you to watch BRUH. Remember the tissue and baby oil
????????????
I post a video that contains actual evidence and I'm suddenly a fanboy.
You offer absolutely nothing other than a little baby tiz and some insults
Oof
Oh dear

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Regularly.

I have my own GC2 and have been testing balls regularly. Also tested 5 balls yesterday using GC quad at another indoor centre.

For info, the Balls where I’ve had the difference we’re Tour RX and Snell MTB-X - that’s with a 7iron

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm not sure how many trees you actually bounce off.

However there are definitely plans afoot to significantly reduce the number of trees. A huge number went in in the 70s... well into the thousands. And these are now mature, blocking light and air to parts of the course.

New course manager has been assessing and I'd imagine a number of holes will be treeless by this time next year. I'd guess trees between 16 & 17, as well as trees between 16 and 2. And especially trees around the 9th and 10th fairways will be the 'easy wins' that won't change playability, but will help with grass growth.
I was a member before and as the planting was underway (was a member from about 1976-1983). When I played a couple of years back after not playing it since then I hardly recognised some of the holes - and if I am honest I preferred it as it was. Still a great track mind. But I could see how you really suffered from the wind not getting into the fairways and the trees impacting drainage.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Still one of the funniest things in golf - 20+ handicappers extolling the virtues of different premium golf balls claiming they can tell the difference or the effect it has on their swings.
I play with a 29 handicapper occasionally and whilst he probably couldn’t tell the difference I showed him the difference on our short game area by using mid price balls and him not stopping them on the green and my pro v Balls and him stopping the near the pin.

he‘s a reasonable pitch on him and was let down by the lack of stop as he lack power and doesn’t hit more than 150yrds with any club. The pro v improved him

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
?????
Oh dear hissy fit of the week.
Not at all. I’m just clarifying your points...

Anyway, crossfield has just uploaded another video for you to watch BRUH. Remember the tissue and baby oil
????????????
I post a video that contains actual evidence and I'm suddenly a fanboy.
You offer absolutely nothing other than a little baby tiz and some insults
Oof
Oh dear

Oh dear indeed, come on chaps, pack this in please

D

Deleted member 23270

I play with a 29 handicapper occasionally and whilst he probably couldn’t tell the difference I showed him the difference on our short game area by using mid price balls and him not stopping them on the green and my pro v Balls and him stopping the near the pin.

he‘s a reasonable pitch on him and was let down by the lack of stop as he lack power and doesn’t hit more than 150yrds with any club. The pro v improved him
All he needs to do is adjust his landing spot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wasn't that useful when they only tested two two-piece balls and one of them was a Mizuno which nobody uses anyway. Although the AD333 does come out of it well.

Cheers for posting the Crossfield vid as well, I watched it last night. While it was interesting, I think the comparative results of a pro driving aren't particularly relevant to the results I would see with my driving.

I would love a YouTuber to take a mid-handicapper and properly test a huge variety of balls - not just premium vs premium, or one premium vs one cheaper ball, but a real cross-section. When sites like MyGolfSpy did it they only test premium balls, or at best throw in one single cheaper ball for comparison. I want to see ProV vs Velocity vs AD333 vs DX2 vs Tour Soft etc...

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Wasn't that useful when they only tested two two-piece balls and one of them was a Mizuno which nobody uses anyway. Although the AD333 does come out of it well.

Cheers for posting the Crossfield vid as well, I watched it last night. While it was interesting, I think the comparative results of a pro driving aren't particularly relevant to the results I would see with my driving.

I would love a YouTuber to take a mid-handicapper and properly test a huge variety of balls - not just premium vs premium, or one premium vs one cheaper ball, but a real cross-section. When sites like MyGolfSpy did it they only test premium balls, or at best throw in one single cheaper ball for comparison. I want to see ProV vs Velocity vs AD333 vs DX2 vs Tour Soft etc...

What are your own findings? I've tested loads of different balls over the years and can't say I have found any that are especially longer than any others or shorter for that matter, the days of control or distance are long gone.
How do you feel the Prov and velocity would differ off the tee for you?
You don't have to buy Prov1, plenty of comparable balls out there for good money, circa £20 a doz

When the weather changes for the better I'll be back to using a Premium ball, purely because of the greenside spin.

Ive been using the Mizuno over the winter and its not too bad, was dirt cheap on golf depot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What are your own findings? I've tested loads of different balls over the years and can't say I have found any that are especially longer than any others or shorter for that matter, the days of control or distance are long gone.
How do you feel the Prov and velocity would differ off the tee for you?
You don't have to buy Prov1, plenty of comparable balls out there for good money, circa £20 a doz

When the weather changes for the better I'll be back to using a Premium ball, purely because of the greenside spin.

Ive been using the Mizuno over the winter and its not too bad, was dirt cheap on golf depot.
I said this earlier which is what prompted your reply in the first place, but I find more premium balls to spin offline more when I hit a fade off the tee. I honestly haven't hit a ProV that many times specifically, but of all the more premium balls I've hit, I don't feel I get great distance off them - when I started using the Velocity I really felt it noticeably went further than anything else I've hit which is why I've stuck with them. As noted before my swing is slow side of average so I'm sure this is a factor? I always thought that more premium balls were optimised for faster swings. Could be wrong obviously. Greenside spin is not an issue for me as I usually chip on with an 8 iron and run it up to flag anyway - certainly not worth me spending another £10 or £15 a box for more spin round the greens anyway.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I said this earlier which is what prompted your reply in the first place, but I find more premium balls to spin offline more when I hit a fade off the tee. I honestly haven't hit a ProV that many times specifically, but of all the more premium balls I've hit, I don't feel I get great distance off them - when I started using the Velocity I really felt it noticeably went further than anything else I've hit which is why I've stuck with them. As noted before my swing is slow side of average so I'm sure this is a factor? I always thought that more premium balls were optimised for faster swings. Could be wrong obviously. Greenside spin is not an issue for me as I usually chip on with an 8 iron and run it up to flag anyway - certainly not worth me spending another £10 or £15 a box for more spin round the greens anyway.
Yeah for chip and runs with the 8i I guess they are fine. It's those times im shorted sided and have to get the ball up and down quickly the premium ball makes a difference.
How much are velocity? I'm rarely paying more than 20 a doz for tour balls.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah for chip and runs with the 8i I guess they are fine. It's those times im shorted sided and have to get the ball up and down quickly the premium ball makes a difference.
How much are velocity? I'm rarely paying more than 20 a doz for tour balls.
I just got last year's Velocity for £20, but the new ones are £25 and I don't think I'm going to be bothering with them - can't honestly see why they've hiked the price to that.

JT.

Visit site
Anyone play Pro V1’s over any other ball?

Currently playing Supersofts but have a big stock which I am thinking of selling some to buy some Pro V1’s

Any alternatives comparable to Pro V1’s anyone would recommend to give a go?
Have a look at Vice golf balls - perform very well and are half the price of pro vs.....the only question mark is over their durability