Pro V1 - Worth the money?

D

Deleted member 3432

Just buy the Bridgestone B x or xs for 24-99 per dozen and job done.

Even better for the Tiger fan boys playing his ball of choice....

D

Deleted member 23270

At nearly £4 per ball the answer is no but along with the TP5 they are the best balls on the market. Sadly us amateurs are paying the price of professional sponsorships. I use premium balls but I have been looking at alternatives such as the Snell. Can't say I've noticed much difference in performance and the price drops to just over £2 per ball if I buy in bulk.

dronfield

Visit site
I could never justify playing them. I could easily lose 3 or 4 balls a round at my old course, so the cost, and my lack of talent combined to make them way too expensive.

Some of the good golfers played them though, so I guess they thought that they were worth the money to them.

Agree 100%. I can lose 3 balls a round, or go several weeks without losing one, but just cannot justify such an outlay. Plus i am not a good enough ball striker to reap the benefit of those balls, and certainly in a "blind" test would not be able to identify one against, a Trusoft, Velocity etc etc

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My pro said to just use a ball you like using around the green, anything else is irrelevant
Your pro is talking rubbish

I would agree/disagree to a certain extent.

My first test of any ball is "what is it like around the green"
My second is what is it like on the green.

If it fails my requirements in either of those respects it never gets on to course.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting - that's what Titleist said when I went for a ball fitting. It was all about short game feel rather than distance.
It’s not just about short game feel though, the difference between iron spin between premium balls is upward of 1000rpm, on a 7iron. That’s 15% difference at the optimum.

With a driver it’s about 700rpm (about 30%). That’s a substantial difference.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
At nearly £4 per ball the answer is no but along with the TP5 they are the best balls on the market. Sadly us amateurs are paying the price of professional sponsorships. I use premium balls but I have been looking at alternatives such as the Snell. Can't say I've noticed much difference in performance and the price drops to just over £2 per ball if I buy in bulk.
Snell balls are fantastic. I’ve just found them spinning a little too much for me in my mid irons, hence moving away from them.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really. Most balls perform pretty much the same once you get out to mid iron range.
Someone that can’t hit the middle of club face might as well use a pinnacle gold. But for anyone that hit the ball half decent, your quote is wrong.

A consistent difference of 500pm would be the different between being fitted into a different driver shaft

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It’s not just about short game feel though, the difference between iron spin between premium balls is upward of 1000rpm, on a 7iron. That’s 15% difference at the optimum.

With a driver it’s about 700rpm (about 30%). That’s a substantial difference.
I agree but if you look to optimise your long and short game wouldn't it be prudent to use a ball which suited your short game and then optime your driver / wood / hybrids to that ball to give the best distance possible? A lower spinning driver with your chosen ball might be a lot better than a higher spinning driver with the same ball.

When I was fitted for my driver using the same ball there was a spread of 600 RPM between the highest (Callaway) and the lowest (TM).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use a new pro v1x every comp, it goes in my bag for social golf if it survives.
It’s the best ball for me from 80yds and in ,this is where you make your scores.
It’s good to putt with .
It’s as long as anything on the market if you strike it properly.
I usually stock up when they have the 4 for 3 offer.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I thought the first 2 versions of the Pro-v were head and shoulders above anything else, and it was my preferred ball. Wasn't so sure of the later versions, although that could have been down to my swing speed dropping off. Distance-wise, probably the best of the premium balls for me. My preferred ball around the greens in recent years has been the Mizuno MP-s. For me, it felt as soft as the early Pro-v's but it is down on distance.

I like the TP5, and still have some for when I go for some fun on the putting green, but as an all-round ball it didn't blow me away.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Done with Srixon but applicable to Titleist and the Pro V and their cheaper models

I use Pro V because a) I have amassed an embarrassing amount (and have just give away a carrier bag full of premium balls I simply won't use) and b) once the drier conditions arrive and the greens firm up I prefer the feel especially off the putter on quicker greens