Pro V1 - Worth the money?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
At my level the Pro V1 is not worth the money - I lose too many balls and I am unlikely to get the maximum benefit from it. When Srixon did a 3 for 2 offer last summer managed to pick up three boxes of the Z-Star which worked out at £23 each, which I thought was reasonable for trying out a premium ball.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I pretty much only play the Prov1x, or TP5x. It's what I like. I tend to buy last years model at sub £30 a dozen. I play off 10, and don't lose that many. Still annoying when you lose a new one though, but more annoyed about the score than the ball loss.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As mentioned by a lot of people, Pro V1's are very nice, but the cost is something most of us can't justify for the sake of play. If I had the money spare yes I'd buy pro v1, then again if I had the money I'd be rolling around in a DB11.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
As mentioned by a lot of people, Pro V1's are very nice, but the cost is something most of us can't justify for the sake of play. If I had the money spare yes I'd buy pro v1, then again if I had the money I'd be rolling around in a DB11.

You wouldn't, because they are a bit unreliable.

D

Deleted member 1147

Pros wil play whatever their given for free to be fair
Wrong-many pros change balls because certain ones don’t suit their game...i was reading about Lucas Herbert changing in recent weeks because of spin numbers.
Rickie moved last year I believe because of ball performance.

D

Deleted member 1147

Interesting - that's what Titleist said when I went for a ball fitting. It was all about short game feel rather than distance.
What exactly do you class as “feel”?
sound?
I’m not sure you can tell the difference between 2 top of the range balls based on the impact between a piece of metal and a golf ball!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not worth it for me, and I'm not talking about losing them because I really don't lose many balls. I think it depends on your game personally. People say they're the best ball because they get loads of spin, but to me that just means they're going to fade offline too much on my drives, and round the green it is useless because I mostly play 8 iron chip and runs. I can't get any distance with premium balls either because my swing speed is only 84mph. So no point me throwing more money on a ball that doesn't suit me anyway. I just want something long and straight that doesn't feel like a rock, and thankfully that can be obtained for £20 a box.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Anyone play Pro V1’s over any other ball?

Currently playing Supersofts but have a big stock which I am thinking of selling some to buy some Pro V1’s

Any alternatives comparable to Pro V1’s anyone would recommend to give a go?

To quote your post from April last year....
"The crazy thing is when I do take the practise swings I can easily hit the inside of something I pick out on the ground. I am not even close to being heel side of it.
The problems seems to start when I am actually try and hit the ball"

Unless you have improved dramatically, I'd save your pennies.
;););)

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To quote your post from April last year....
"The crazy thing is when I do take the practise swings I can easily hit the inside of something I pick out on the ground. I am not even close to being heel side of it.
The problems seems to start when I am actually try and hit the ball"

Unless you have improved dramatically, I'd save your pennies.
;););)

Swing has changed a lot since then but thanks for going to the effort to find that and point it out

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Swing has changed a lot since then but thanks for going to the effort to find that and point it out

Not a problem. Was just trying to find out your handicap.
To a scratch, or low single figure golfer, ProV1's might (might) make a difference.
But to anyone oinking it around a golf course, they would be of no benefit whatsoever.
In fact, they could make it worse.
A slice on a ProV1 can be quite dramatic (and costly).
Been there.

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not a problem. Was just trying to find out your handicap.
To a scratch, or low single figure golfer, ProV1's might (might) make a difference.
But to anyone oinking it around a golf course, they would be of no benefit whatsoever.
In fact, they could make it worse.
A slice on a ProV1 can be quite dramatic (and costly).
Been there.

Ye fair enough, I play off 11.

Been playing the Supersoft the majority of last year but was considering trying a premium ball this season just to see if it would actually make any difference to my scoring

Just wanted to gather some opinions on here before making a decision

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i like the older Prov1x, nice of the cubface and to putt with, but i don't buy them, lucky to have had a dog that founds hundreds, so still have a big supply. don;t use then in winter though, for me where i live too much drop off then. i use the supersoft in winter

would i buy them, prob, i would like it though?... no far too expensive.

when i was starting i used ahy old ball, it wasn't till i got to single figures i hada light bulb moment with a prem ball, when all of a sudden the ball stopped with one.

User20204

Visit site
Worth the money ?

Why would anyone consider using anything else, unless you're an absolute digger then anything will do but if you have any desires to be your best, then you would use the best, surely.