Preferred courses

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lots of threads on here about people saying course x is better then course y, etc but no one ever seems to say why. I sometimes think that people prefer one course over another because they score better at one but this can’t be the only reason. Is it the condition of the course - if so what in particular, the experience (whatever that means) or something else?

D

Deleted member 1147

What makes one course better than another?
Normally design &/or condition

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Lots of threads on here about people saying course x is better then course y, etc but no one ever seems to say why. I sometimes think that people prefer one course over another because they score better at one but this can’t be the only reason. Is it the condition of the course - if so what in particular, the experience (whatever that means) or something else?

I think course condition is one determining factor for sure. I will forever compare "top courses" to Hankley Common (in my head) after our visit this year and I wish them luck beating it!

I judge them on Hole Uniqueness, Setting, condition, weather and probably a few other factors.

How I play determines something too but hard to but a tangible mark on it - I hacked it around Hayling but the course was still quite special.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It’s down to personal choice I guess.
I thought Las Ramblas was one of the best courses in the area when we were in Spain, but some people hated it (there are loads of carries over ravines, and plenty of shot shaping required)

Back here in Blighty, our main course at Willow Valley would never be described as pristine, but it’s the course that I’m drawn to and look forward to playing, possibly as it’s so challenging and a good round requires some quality golf.

I wasn’t impressed with Hoylake, yet some people rave about it…

There’s definitely no specific answer when we factor in personal preferences

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One thing I prefer in a course is varying lengths of holes. Par 3s, ideally must have a short wedge one, a mid-iron one, a slightly longer one (no 200+ yarders though please).

Par 4s similar, I like there to be a couple of tight dogleg type ones where you're not so much able to drive the green, but you can choose how much of the corner to try and take off and leave yourself a pitch in, or go safe and maybe hit iron for position and another iron to the green. Since I'm not a long hitter there are plenty of courses where that doesn't really happen and I can just hit driver for every par 4. Not that that makes the course bad, it's just interesting when there are some holes where I don't hit driver.

I don't like courses that just feel like a long slog, every par 4 is like 400 yards, or the shortest par 3s are like 160 yards. You have to mix it up a bit.

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
Most important factor for me is design, I’d take a fantastic layout in average condition over a poor layout in fantastic condition any day.

Albo

Visit site
It’s down to personal choice I guess.
I thought Las Ramblas was one of the best courses in the area when we were in Spain, but some people hated it (there are loads of carries over ravines, and plenty of shot shaping required)

Back here in Blighty, our main course at Willow Valley would never be described as pristine, but it’s the course that I’m drawn to and look forward to playing, possibly as it’s so challenging and a good round requires some quality golf.

I wasn’t impressed with Hoylake, yet some people rave about it…

There’s definitely no specific answer when we factor in personal preferences
I have played and loved Las Ramblas a seriously interesting course and one you have to plot your way around.

Albo

Visit site
For me it’s a lot of different things, one of the best courses I’ve played was Shiskine on Arran, not the best conditioned course, or a big name but we had beautiful weather when we were there, stayed at a house a walk away from the course able to play while watching the evening sun set with a good friend with a beer in hand was one of the greatest golf experiences I’ve had.
Equally I loved Muirfield in the wind, so well manicured just an amazing place to play golf.
Both very different and I didn’t parlay well at either venue

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
For me, it’s course condition, especially the greens. I hate hitting great shots into a green then seeing the ball bobble all over the place off the putter.

A bit of history. Good views. A warm welcome. Decent mix of holes. A good meal. A couple of beers/wine/top shelf and a short walk from the dormie house or pub with rooms. A decent breakfast the following morning and another 18 holes with good company.

Heaven!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
For me, it’s the entire package. Condition, playability, layout, scenery, welcome - pretty much everything will be a consideration when I decide my preferred venues.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
For a home course, it must be a good layout & a reasonably easy walk ( not too hilly)
2x loops of 9 (because I like to play 9 when practicing)
Interesting holes & a good test.
My home course atm has all of this but is a wee bit let down by poor drainage in some areas, rubbish practice facilities & all the par 3's are roughly the same length.

Away course, I don't mind, as I'll quite happily play anything.
The only thing I really dislike are very hilly courses & courses with ridiculously slopey fairways & lot's of uneven lies.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me, it’s the entire package. Condition, playability, layout, scenery, welcome - pretty much everything will be a consideration when I decide my preferred venues.
Likewise, a lot of things are subjective and variable .

Condition

It doesn't matter to me very much if there are not perfectly manicured flower beds.
Waterlogged fairways, bumpy greens and compacted thin patchy sand in the bunkers would put me off.
Scenery, I don't think I have ever disliked scenery as such even some industrial works can add to it a bit but there is no doubt that shapely mountain seascapes and viewing points add to a course.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I like a course where you have to think about your tee shot.
It might be driver every time on the par 4s and 5s but where do you aim it, where don't you want to go..
A variety of par 3s is also preferable
Decent condition, decent food etc etc..

Albo

Visit site
I like a course where you have to think about your tee shot.
It might be driver every time on the par 4s and 5s but where do you aim it, where don't you want to go..
A variety of par 3s is also preferable
Decent condition, decent food etc etc..
Echo that re driver. Or to add, options off the tee as well, there may be a bunker you don’t want to go in which is set at driver distance so you could choose to flirt with it or lay back and have more club in. Do you go for a long carry over a dogleg or take the easier longer route, things like that, nothing worse than reaching thoughtlessly for driver and smashing it as hard as you can down the middle on every hole (fine on some, even many but not all). A course that rewards a good shot be that a long drive to carry that bunker leaving a pitch on or a well positioned iron leaving a full wedge/ 9i in. Shouldn’t be just one thing all the time, but that said the option for that one thing should be there but risk reward at times

Mandofred

Visit site
Playability, with a challenge. I left the last course because of some admin decisions...but the course wasn't very challenging. Currently a member at two clubs, and likely to leave one of them because of the unplayable conditions during the winter, and the over-booking of days during the summer. Ripon is where I'm heading unless the rumors about Flaxby turn into reality........If I had lots and lots of money.....I'd open it.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'll add another reason into the mix, aside from a variety of holes, scenic, a fair challenge for my ability, drains well enough (clay based South East!) good proshop and spike bar, good practice facilities and a fair membership rate.
Ease of access.
I live 5 minutes from a course that I would never join, partly because a couple of the above points aren't met (last year it closed for 3 months as too wet!) and partly because there's a gym on site and parking is always a bit tricky. Spaces are small and women driving 4x4s and late for yoga don't make a good mix!
There's another course almost the same distance as my club which is great, but to get there involves some stupid country lanes and in winter they're lethal. In summer, they're too bust with cyclists or mental drivers.