Practising on the course

Siolag

Visit site
What exactly is and isn't allowed?

I regularly go and play on my own, with one ball in the evening. I also frequently see people playing 2 or more at a time.

When we had a recent Order of Merit competition, there were several Pro golfers out the day before and two of them hit 2 shots off the 18th tee, taking a fair amount of time on it.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As long as you're sensible (not taking 5 divots next to each other, or raining lots of high shots into the green) people are pretty relaxed at ours. Which is fine by me, as I often stroll round of an evening after a shift and fiddle about with various things.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Depends when you are practicing. You can't play the course the same day before a strokeplay competition but your club may allow you to play more than one ball when the course is quiet. I often play in the evening and drop 3 or 4 balls and chip around the edge of the greens.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing a couple of balls on a quiet weekday evening is usually acceptable.

In far flung corners hitting off the back tees can be gotten away with...

Also hitting a few tee shots on tricky holes to try different clubs is usually OK as its often the only time you can compare a driver tee shot to a 3 wood or hybrid directly.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only actual rule I know of is what D4S said, you can't go and have a practise round in the morning and enter the medal in the afternoon.

If you're just playing on your own, hitting two balls or retaking shots, then surely you just crack on as long as you're not holding anybody up. See no issue there.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Same as others, I'll often go out and try a bit of chipping and putting and maybe play 2 or 3 balls on a hole. Don't see the problem. Just repair any damage

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Zoo expressly prohibit practice on the course
Which, if you think about it, should prohibit single players going out - if they're not practicing then what are they doing..?

If I'm playing solo owing play a 2nd ball if I'm insight of the clubhouse (1,9,10,18) or I can see other members.
People have been keel-hauled for it in the past.

www.hiltonpark.net
If a club has 2 courses can you play the non comp course before going out on the comp course later? I'm always out before 8am but was wondering in theory if it's allowable. I can't see why it would not be

D

Deleted Member 1156

If a club has 2 courses can you play the non comp course before going out on the comp course later? I'm always out before 8am but was wondering in theory if it's allowable. I can't see why it would not be
Yes it's fine to play the other course.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a no practising on the course policy, thats playing more than one ball. It's not much to ask when we have a practice range and area.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I absolutely love being out on my own practicing by hitting plenty of balls. Regularly hit 2 or 3 drives. 2 or 3 approach shots then chip round each green.
When i have the place to myself I can take about 3 hours to play the front 9. Much prefer that to pounding round the course for a full 18 on my own. Feel it's much more beneficial to my game.

If I want to practice driving I regularly hit every ball in my bag off the 2nd tee par 5. Wide enough not to lose any. Usually all within 20yards or so down there unless I hit a poor one.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The only actual rule I know of is what D4S said, you can't go and have a practise round in the morning and enter the medal in the afternoon.

Make sure it isn't a 36 hole event! Guy at our club was disqualified from our 2 round club championship - played over 2 days - when he played a few holes in the evening after the first round.

As DfS says - also possible to play a medal followed by a matchplay match on the same day - but not VV.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Haven’t read our rules, but I’ve regularly been out after work and played a few holes a few different ways. Seen plenty others too. I’ll hit multiple drives but not too many wedges into greens. Will sometimes aim for hazards or rough just off green so can practice the likely miss hits.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Make sure it isn't a 36 hole event! Guy at our club was disqualified from our 2 round club championship - played over 2 days - when he played a few holes in the evening after the first round.

As DfS says - also possible to play a medal followed by a matchplay match on the same day - but not VV.

Same happened to me in the CC in 1996!!!

A sore lesson learned after a decent opening 18. We actually went back out so we wouldn't sit in the pub all night and be too hung over!

😣😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same happened to me in the CC in 1996!!!

A sore lesson learned after a decent opening 18. We actually went back out so we wouldn't sit in the pub all night and be too hung over!

😣😂
So the lesson learned was always go and get smashed in between rounds? Excellent. (y)

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who cares so long as the course isn’t being damaged and the pace of play is fine?

That’s all the rule is there for isn’t it? I just apply some common sense

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Who cares so long as the course isn’t being damaged and the pace of play is fine?

That’s all the rule is there for isn’t it? I just apply some common sense

Exactly. when I am practicing I leave the hole in the best shape I can. if I hit 3 balls into the green I replace all divots and fix more pitch marks than I made.

I try not to give people anything to moan about other than the practising on the course element.

D

Deleted member 21258

I remember reading the rules at one club I am a member of, and you are not allowed to practise on the course.

Don't see a problem with putting or chipping practise or hitting a couple of drives of a tee, as not normally taking a divot or marks at one of the other courses. However tend not to ever hit multiple irons, due to divot taking/pitch marks.