Practising on the course

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can hit two balls off the tees but only one ball to the green (inc par 3s).
But I chip around the green with two.
That’s the rule at my place if you are seen hitting more into the greens it’s a warning.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can hit two balls off the tees but only one ball to the green (inc par 3s).
But I chip around the green with two.
That’s the rule at my place if you are seen hitting more into the greens it’s a warning.
Seems easy enough, if I hit two tee shots on a par 3 one of them will miss the green anyway.

D

Deleted member 25172

I don't see the issue unless you're hammering down balls on the green, and with that, hacking up the fairway with divots. An extra ball or 2 when no one is behind. For every pitch mark I make, I make sure to repair multiple that others have left behind.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I am out on my own I sometimes replay shots if the course is quiet or if there is a larger group ahead, just play so as I am a bit behind them. No rule stopping it but if anyone questions hitting a second ball I am quite prepared to say that it was a provisional. Surely nothing to stop you playing a provisional on every shot.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't see the issue unless you're hammering down balls on the green, and with that, hacking up the fairway with divots. An extra ball or 2 when no one is behind. For every pitch mark I make, I make sure to repair multiple that others have left behind.
You might but there is plenty of golfers that don’t repair pitch marks or there would be no others for you to repair.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
As long as no one is coming up behind you, you are pretty much free to hit as many balls as you wish at our course (even though I think the greenkeeper had something to say if you started taking an excessive amount of divots from the same spot). I sometimes play a second ball when I am on my own, not so much because of the extra practice, but if I am stuck behind a slower moving group which won't let me through, just to pass the time. It is also okay to skip holes normally when the course is empty.

The night before a bigger comp the course sometimes closes down early, if they want to prepare next day's tee and flag positions without allowing any of the players to get a sneak peek and practice beforehand.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
practice is now prohibited on the course due to a few taking the piss and hitting dozens of shots into greens and digging up some of the fairways with divots. two ball Max. Club didn't mind before as long as you left the course as you found it. there's always those who spoil it for others

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
practice is now prohibited on the course due to a few taking the piss and hitting dozens of shots into greens and digging up some of the fairways with divots. two ball Max. Club didn't mind before as long as you left the course as you found it. there's always those who spoil it for others
This happened at ours that’s why they made the one ball rule into greens.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who cares so long as the course isn’t being damaged and the pace of play is fine?

That’s all the rule is there for isn’t it? I just apply some common sense

Sorry should have added that due to them taking the mick they do and continue to do damage to the course. Sadly common sense is lacking.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This happened at ours that’s why they made the one ball rule into greens.
Thats was the rationale behind our rule. Too may people either not repairing pitch marks and sadly not raking bunkers. It was a rule on the old course and brought over and still in place. Still have issues with pitch marks but that's just some members being absolute tools and too lazy to bother