Practice - What Are People Working On

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Shorter backswing, matching face angle with spine on backswing.
Out to in, Maintaining ‘lag’ and better rotation on the way down.

This is to try and increase speed and reduce loft at impact to give a stronger ball flight. Along with trying to reduce my tendency for a weak high spinning block.

To help I’m doing a lot of stretching, squats and deadlifts.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After 18months out it's more or less a total rebuild. Just gradually work on getting club head speed up without trying to stress mybody too much.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Managed to get out on sunday evening for a few holes by myself. Always find this the best way to practice. Opportunities to do this have been few and far between this last 2 years.

Was mainly working on irons as they tend to be my weak point.

Was attempting to get a little more open through the strike. I have a tendency to still be sqaure or even closed. Bad shot being a fat. Bane of my life really. Also tried a feeling of getting my right elbow off my body going back. That tends to be pinned in and I lack width.

This was a pretty good strike caught on camera. Feel like the practice swing had better rotation but happy enough with how I hit it overall that evening. Nice to be out, hit some balls and get some peace. Place to myself.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I’ve had multiple lessons over winter and the swing has changed a lot. I used to pull the club far too much on the inside on takeaway which led to me compensating by coming around OTT and slicing horribly . I now have what feels like a more vertical take away and then drop the club ‘into the slot’ with a slight in to out path. This is now working really well but fighting tendency to close clubface too much which causes on occasion bad hook. Overall I’m really pleased with how things are progressing but a mile away from where I want to be.

phillarrow

Visit site
That is exactly what I use this set up for ?? Taking the club back on plane - it works a treat.
View attachment 41717

Does it not take ages each time you're there to set it up in the right place?
I guess what I'm really asking is, if you got the position wrong, is there a danger you'll be working on getting into the wrong plane?

Boomy

Visit site
Does it not take ages each time you're there to set it up in the right place?
I guess what I'm really asking is, if you got the position wrong, is there a danger you'll be working on getting into the wrong plane?

No it’s pretty straightforward once you’ve done it a couple of times. It’s not an exact science, so doesn’t need exact positioning.

Like a lot of training drill/set ups it is exaggerated so I pick the club up steeper - and it certainly seems to work - when I take the foam tube away I do naturally drop onto the correct plane. I’ll hit half a dozen with it there, then move it out of the way for half a dozen, film them to check and repeat (using different irons each time and always having a target with an alignment stick down)

Tonto

Visit site
Chipping for me, find the soft ground can really exagerate the bad contacts. So now is a good time to practice, if I can stay warm enough.

Boomy

Visit site
It doesn't do much for your alignment :whistle:
If you're going to use an alignment stick, position it 1-2in from your toes

Well spotted - I wondered who’d pick up on that, gold ⭐️ For bobmac ?

The alignment stick was set up for the 150 yard blue flag so I wasn’t using it there. I was pitching down to the 99 yards white flag which you can see I’m aligned to ⛳

phillarrow

Visit site
No it’s pretty straightforward once you’ve done it a couple of times. It’s not an exact science, so doesn’t need exact positioning.

Like a lot of training drill/set ups it is exaggerated so I pick the club up steeper - and it certainly seems to work - when I take the foam tube away I do naturally drop onto the correct plane. I’ll hit half a dozen with it there, then move it out of the way for half a dozen, film them to check and repeat (using different irons each time and always having a target with an alignment stick down)

That's really helpful. I think I'll try it myself. Cheers.

Boomy

Visit site

Definitely worth using ?? Use my picture as an idea for set up then have a play about with it - filming it really helps as well too. You’ll soon find a spot for it where you’re picking the club up and missing it - I’ve found it amazing how I don’t even think about it being there but my subconscious picks it up out of the way - crazy.

Springveldt

Visit site
Bought a Callaway Chip Stix and trying not to stab myself in the stomach with it while chipping.

I’ve always launched my wedges too high due to poor rotation and flipping a little, hoping this will help. It feels like I’ve got to open my hips way earlier than I do so the stick doesn’t hit me.

Boomy

Visit site

This is it set up using the proper bit of kit in my coaches bay @phillarrow might help with setting it up ?
And especially for you @bobmac on this one aiming at the highlighted blue flag, and also showing the 99 yard white flag, highlighted to the right which I was aiming at on the other photo ?

69A763F0-5FCA-4FAC-887F-987E22AE3E5C.jpeg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't really 'practise' as such but there are things I've been thinking about on the course lately. In winter basically every round is just practise anyway.

Driving - my driving is probably the best part of my game for consistency, but I've had the driver at 11.5° for the last year or so to hit more fairways, I've now decided to put it back to 10.5° and see if I can get a little more distance while still hopefully not fading it too far right. This was successful on the weekend, I just have to keep making sure I follow through properly.

Iron-striking - has always been an issue for me anyway. I rarely seem to strike down with the correct angle of attack, so I hit a lot of thin strikes or just clipped ones. I'm always trying to hit down through the ball properly. End up doing it a few times a round and wondering what I did differently that time. ? One problem I get lately is heel-strikes that fade 15 yards right of target. Last time I was at the range I tried that drill where you put a ball or a towel 12 inches behind the ball you're hitting, but that just caused me to knife it every time so that was a bust as well.

Putting - had a lesson before Christmas and my putting is so vastly better it's like chalk and cheese. But obviously I still have to remind myself what I learned and it keep it going into the spring and summer now.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Anything from 50 yards and in for me really, particularly greenside chips and the like. It is difficult currently as its so wet around the greens so its highlighting any bad strikes but I don't feel as though I've got a great variety of shots to fall back on. Last couple of times I've played I've been throwing down balls and practicing bump and runs, low "biting" chips and then the higher and softer landing ones as well.

All came from playing with my father in law around November last year and he was up and down within 50 yards probably 7 or 8 times out of 10.

At my course I feel like if I get it right it could turn a lot of bogeys into pars and pars into birdies.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
1. Lower body rotation to improve strike.
2. Club head speed
3. Putting distance control (yet to see if this is counterproductive given the greens aren't exactly pure).

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Actually I'm just going to work on consolidating rather than trying to introduce anything new - could be the first time I haven't had something in my head that needs to be added to improve. If I can consistently drive the ball like I know I can 75-80% of the time and chip like I know I now can maybe 90% of the time (without trying to find another 'this technique works!') I think there'll be an improvement score wise. Unusually, par 3s were my best scoring holes and I had a lot more up & downs. If anything I'd like to be a more consistent putter, but I find putting greens totally mind numbing and a waste of time!