Poulter backs new skipper Monty

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
_45422320_monty226_getty.jpg

Ian Poulter says newly appointed Europe Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie will have "great respect from everyone" at Celtic Manor in Wales in 2010.

Scot Montgomerie was appointed ahead of Spain's Jose Maria Olazabal.

"His record is very impressive in the Ryder Cup, and it's something people respect highly," said Poulter, the top points scorer at the 2008 event.

"We've had our little ding-dongs, but he is such a great person, and as captain, you would perform for him."

Poulter and Montgomerie were involved in a public spat before last year's Ryder Cup, with Montgomerie implying captain Nick Faldo picked Poulter as a wildcard because they were friends.

However, Poulter added: "He will be able to perform under pressure because he always has - I can't see why he would be any different as captain and you'd expect him to get the best out of you."

Five-time Ryder Cupper Darren Clarke, who was part of the 15-man committee which unanimously selected Montgomerie, believes the Scot's superb record in the event made him the ideal candidate.

Montgomerie has won 23½ points as a Ryder Cup player, just 1½ points behind the record held by Nick Faldo.

"He's got an incredible record in the Ryder Cup, he's been the Ryder Cup talisman for many years," said Clarke.

"He'll be very player-orientated, he'll take a keen interest in how the players are doing.

Poulter's fellow Englishman Oliver Wilson said the fact Montgomerie is still a regular on the European Tour would prove to be an advantage.

"I think the Ryder Cup committee thought certain people were out of touch, but Colin still plays and knows the players really well," Wilson, who made his debut in Valhalla last year, told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"He knows the guys' games, so preparation will be easier and everyone will feel comfortable dealing with him.

"There's nothing a captain can do out on the course, it's down to the players. But when you're playing against world-class opposition, if you get the pairings right you have a bit more confidence to do your job.

"A few mistakes were made in Valhalla, some of the pairings were not ideal. Certain players are made for foursomes because they're so steady, and others are made for fourballs because they're long hitters and make lots of birdies.

"Colin Montgomerie has a lot of experience, is very charismatic and will do a great job. He'll bring the team together and bring individuals belief."

Europe's 2002 captain Sam Torrance believes Montgomerie's love affair with the Ryder Cup will help his compatriot tackle what he concedes will be a tough job in Wales.

"It means more to him than any other event, and with his wealth of experience, he'll make a great captain," said Torrance.

Torrance applauds Monty choice
"Colin will do whatever is necessary with the players, whether it be bringing them down or picking them up. He'll do anything that is asked of him, and that's imperative."

Montgomerie will continue to play on the European Tour right up until the tournament, and Torrance believes that could help rather than hinder his captaincy.

"Colin has taken that decision and if he wins five tournaments then it would create no problems," said Torrance. "Instead, we'd just have a great player as captain."

Montgomerie, an eight-time winner of the European Order of Merit, will go up against Corey Pavin, who was named as the United States captain for the 2010 event in December.

BBC Sport Golf

Lets hope Monty has more sense than to bow down to Poulter and drop Clarke again (if they both make it).

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can see the team talk now, having been picked as wild cards Paul Casey and Ian Poulter are caught chatting as Monty delivers his rousing day 1 speech:

"Oi Paul, Ian- Can I have some respect please. You two are only here because of me, you need to remember that"

And the ironic thing is, in this instance he would be correct :eek:

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
You can see the team talk now, having been picked as wild cards Paul Casey and Ian Poulter are caught chatting as Monty delivers his rousing day 1 speech:

"Oi Paul, Ian- Can I have some respect please. You two are only here because of me, you need to remember that"

And the ironic thing is, in this instance he would be correct :eek:

I like the cut of your jibe, where does one sign up for the newsletter?

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can see Monty picking a scotsman for the side, someone like Alistair forsyth, and then to give the team a Welsh blend someone like Bradley Dredge. :eek:

On a more serious note it is impossible to guess surely until you know which 'top' players are not going to qualify. Anyone out of Garcia, Westwood, Poulter, Casey, Stenson, Karlsson etc who doesn't qualify will be worthy of a pick nearer the time I am sure. I'm not going to give it much thought though- what sort of odds do you reckon you would get for predicting the two picks now? you never know what is going to happen.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At the end off the day none of the tour players are gonna turn round and say monty is a bad choice, cos if they dont make the team theyre gonna wanna be picked!!

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
As I said in a previous post I voted for Ollie, purely because he's served his apprentiship (Vice Captain last time out) and I always thought that vice captain was training for the captains job.

This was not to be, and Monty has now been chosen. He now gets my full backing and support while in the captains hot seat. The players whether qualified or captains picks should do the same. It's good to see poulter getting behind him.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I can't see why my support for Monty would make any difference to either his performance as Captain, or the teams performance. I doubt he gives a monkey's what I think.

I thought Ollie would be the better man this time, and also it would be good for the Europeans to have had another Captain. However, he didn't commit to it, as he is worried about his health, so they gave it to Monty.

Apparently it was Stenson who suggested Monty this time around. He always did have a sense of humour.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm sure he doesn't give a stuff what you think as an individual, but colectively, I'm sure he would love the support of the british and euoropean public.

T

thecraw

Its also becomming clearer with every interview that the cracks are starting to spread very wide in relation to staying loyal to Faldo and his pathetic leadership.

Sums it up with Wilson saying mistakes were made and players were not happy playing certain formats with certain people. To me Westwood and Hansen looked close to fighting with each other, they never looked comfortable or part of the same team, yet Faldo insisted in playing them together again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think Poulter is being media savvy. Everyone knows he and Monty don't really get on but by coming out and saying he's the best man for the job Poulter might just give himself a fighting chance should he need another wildcard although the cynic in me says Monty won't pick him out of principle (spite)

T

thecraw

Monty will pick whoes best for the job!

That you can bet your last dollar on, guarenteed!

DCB

Visit site
Agree about picks, Monty was one himself in Langers team. Monty will pick who he considers can do the job for the Team at the time.

Faldo at least got one of his picks right in choosing Poulter. He (Poulter) set off and did everything right that weekend. Changed my view of him completely.

Faldo was one of the Greats of the late 80s - mid 90s, he had his chance as captain and it didn't work out for whatever reasons. I just hope we move on from that and let the next Team get out there and do it their way and bring the Ryder Cup back where it belongs.

Monty will definately be a different style of captain to Faldo, but there again they are different personalities so you would expect that to be the case.

Lets get behind Monty and The European Team and leave the past in the past.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thecraw don't let Herb hear you saying that,although it is 100 percent correct. ;)

What it shows to me is more how un-team spirited some golfers withinn the team actually are and as a team leader I would want to quash that attitude as quickly and painlessly as possible, the cracks suggested are merely an indication of the petulance of some of the players after failure, my advice would be to be a team, follow and support your leader, do your best for the team and hopefully win, bitching like a few teen schollgirls doesnt inspire me if what was aledged is actually (?)true. When the team take control of the captain he is no longer a captain, and this kind of gossip reflects a poor team spirit as well as controlling minds, nothing more than kids stamping their feet wanting their own way, Oh monty Faldo was so bad, please let us have our own way ....or maybe you might get the same. Ive been in charge of teams and Ive been in charge of teams that have far more serious things to do than play golf and if this gossip(and its nothing more) was present in teams I was involved in, the culprits would be disciplined or gone. I doubt if people can see the importance of what I am pointing out because of the petty remarks in different threads and the immaturity of the modern world. The more gossip comes out the more I am disappointed with the charactor of the last RC team, as a team is something they seemingly never were and this opinion is generated by those who seem to think that gossip and back stabbing after the fact is acceptable withing a team. Its not a team if it goes on, seems to me that supporters wont accept that bitching little premadonnas who didnt win because they were not good enough(and they were'nt)simply have to blame someone.
The more anti faldo pro player gossip I hear, the more distanced I become from those RC players as I start to view them in an unpleasent light. If a golfer cannot feel they can respect, support and follow their chosen or elected leader they shouldnt be in the team, if selectors recognise a problem they should re-select a cpt or troublesome players, once the balance of unity is broken so to is the team. It is far better to have a second choice Cpt or second choice players in harmony that the oposite, for the crap in last RC I blame players more than Faldo.

Dodger please stop quoting everything you say as 'Fact' or 'You are right' as when the proof is never produced,that tends to demeen your credibility rather than enhance it. ;)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could the fact that it is widely known that Monty and Poulter don't get on (evident at the European in 2008) actually make it more likely that he would almost have to pick Poulter?

Whatever else, Poulter was the one player who stood up to be counted in (if Herb's right) a poor team.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Herb everything you have quoted there is all your opinion where as the snippet I posted re Faldo not being a captain who was well liked in his role by the players he was looking over comes from a European Tour player close to the action with colleagues playing in the team so I would say it is pretty much 'fact' as you put it.....

I am in no way wishing to 'enhance' any 'credibility' as you also put it but I did think that the forumers may be interested in the insight.End of.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
One way or another, I would bet my Mortgage (if I had one) that Poulter is in that team, and I hope he is. I think i was in the minority of fans that actually beleived Poulter would be a good pick if selected and made it knowledge that I still like him as a golfer after he claimed he was the number 2 in golf.

IMO he was the best player in the RC team last year. I do hope he has a good year this year.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I do think a bit of 'what goes on tour, stays on tour' is a healthy attitude, rather than moaning about it afterwards if you lose.