potential problem with the new 'flag in' rule !

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'd wager most of us have been putting with the 'flag in' for years already and we'll just transfering that behaviour and habit from the practice green to the course
I rarely see anyone remove them on the practice green (& we might even see full size flags redesigned so it has the catch tray so when you lift the flag out the ball comes with it)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd wager most of us have been putting with the 'flag in' for years already and we'll just transfering that behaviour and habit from the practice green to the course
I rarely see anyone remove them on the practice green (& we might even see full size flags redesigned so it has the catch tray so when you lift the flag out the ball comes with it)

You little tease!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As previously said, I cannot see me changing much. The size of the flagsticks on our course are such that that it is more likely for the ball to bounce off it than to drop in

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played today and apart from a couple of longish ones it was flag out all day . We were a two ball but don't really think it would have been any different if we'd been a four.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played today and apart from a couple of longish ones it was flag out all day . We were a two ball but don't really think it would have been any different if we'd been a four.
Yep - and when you are a 4 there's more chance of someone having to head up close to the pin to mark their ball before the next play can putt...who if it's any distance will simply wait until the players hit his putt before removing the flag in the usual way....all very simple and sensible 🤔

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't see the difference. If you've hit it too hard and it hits the flag, then the alternative would have been that it hits the hole and slows down anyway. I see the rule change as a time-saving device and that's all. I.e. no waiting for a second player to go and tend or remove the flag. When everyone is on the green and putting out I expect we'll keep it removed as normal. I'll be surprised if I ever play with anyone who asks for the flag back in for their putts.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't see the difference. If you've hit it too hard and it hits the flag, then the alternative would have been that it hits the hole and slows down anyway. I see the rule change as a time-saving device and that's all. I.e. no waiting for a second player to go and tend or remove the flag. When everyone is on the green and putting out I expect we'll keep it removed as normal. I'll be surprised if I ever play with anyone who asks for the flag back in for their putts.

It really is a huge advantage to be able to have the flag in on a fast down hiller. Expect the penny to drop for most people soon. ;)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't really agree. Why do you think it is?
Over hit putt could skip hole, or even hitting the back of the hole still run on down hill. Same putt hits the flag, and will either drop or stop much closer to the hole. Same goes for over hit chips, much more chance of staying close to hole if hits the flag, and not just the hole.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's acts as a backdrop.

Putting with it in most of the time the other day felt very strange. Almost like cheating. The ball goes into the hole very easily. It can drop in without even touching the flag. Other times it hits and kills it.

Of all the putts we hit the other day that hit the pin. There was one that was going too fast. It ended up a foot from the hole. It otherwise would have been at least 5 foot away. I got 2 to stick to the flagstick and hole edge and the rest went in. I had no deflections.

Overall it's just a hunch. Bryson and plez also seek to agree.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Over hit putt could skip hole, or even hitting the back of the hole still run on down hill. Same putt hits the flag, and will either drop or stop much closer to the hole. Same goes for over hit chips, much more chance of staying close to hole if hits the flag, and not just the hole.
Is the correct answer.
I find it easier to avoid deceleration with the flag in.
It's also something more tangible to aim at.
I'm going to have the flag in as much as possible

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that tests have been done to prove the point

They proved that for chips and putts hit such that the ball will run 6 or 9 feet past the hole there is a small, but significant, increase in the probability of a beneficial outcome. I found it difficult to discerned what the specific data was for the 3ft metric, the other one used.

Real world data starts tomorrow, and I'm sure you share my view that that is the only thing that matters, and that any advantage will be acted upon by the top pros!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep - and when you are a 4 there's more chance of someone having to head up close to the pin to mark their ball before the next play can putt...who if it's any distance will simply wait until the players hit his putt before removing the flag in the usual way....all very simple and sensible 🤔
Absolutely and you've got to wait for them to their ball anyway as you don't want the risk of hitting it (y)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It will certainly be fascinating to see how the pros approach it.

There may be bit of a spilt between amateurs and pros. They play on slick perfect greens and the clubs they play at have flag poles that are not cheap thin sagging poles like you find at regular golf clubs up and down the country. It may actually help us more then them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would have thought that any putt hit hard enough to go over the hole would equally be hard enough to bounce off the flag and stay out. Maybe it ends up 6 inches in front instead of 18 inches past but either way it's a tap in. I wouldn't expect it to make an enormous difference, maybe one shot per round.

I'm pretty sure that tests have been done to prove the point
I would love to see that if they have. Obviously would be beneficial to know for sure now that leaving the flag in is an option.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would have thought that any putt hit hard enough to go over the hole would equally be hard enough to bounce off the flag and stay out. Maybe it ends up 6 inches in front instead of 18 inches past but either way it's a tap in. I wouldn't expect it to make an enormous difference, maybe one shot per round.

I would love to see that if they have. Obviously would be beneficial to know for sure now that leaving the flag in is an option.