potential problem with the new 'flag in' rule !

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Jeepers, I hope this is never allowed to happen.
I'm all for constant reviewing of the rules as they seem to be doing now, but the rules around the flag are fine like they are .

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Please do.

Imagine the rule is in place tomorrow. How often would you benefit from the flag going back in if it is initially lieing away from you.

Also practice a few short ones and see how easy they are with a backstop. We could potentially see the flag going back in the closer people get to the hole. This is not going to save time in the slightest.

Tell Mr. R and A i said, 'its a no from me'. :)

unfortunately he had scratched from the comp and his place was taken by another. i do see him quite often though so will ask him next time i see him.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks Patrick!

Is this also potentially being introduced to the pro game too?

Wonder what their views are on it?

G

guest100718

flag in , flag out. Meh..
It will be nice to be able to putt out with it in if you chip very close rather than hold the flag in one hand and putt with the other.

I can see it being a cause of slow play though if you have a group who spend an putting it in for one and out for another.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
flag in , flag out. Meh..
It will be nice to be able to putt out with it in if you chip very close rather than hold the flag in one hand and putt with the other.

I can see it being a cause of slow play though if you have a group who spend an putting it in for one and out for another.
I can also see the hole being damaged more often with careless players taking the flag out more often.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't see the problem meself. If you don't get the ball on target, like I don't and most players don't, it will only effect a say five putts a season, and virtually none in comps.:(

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I wonder how it will work if a caddy is tending the flag. Can he then decide to leave it in or take it out, depending on how fast his player has putted the ball?

All in all I think it is just little details and I doubt it will change the game much in pro events. The reasoning behind the new rule (which is actually a reversion back to how things were about 50 years ago, I think ... the flagstick out rule was introduced some time in the 60s) is that it speeds up play for the mere mortals who don't have caddies and who now don't have to wait until someone has wandered over to the other side of the green to tend or take out the flag before they can take a putt.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You know what the biggest change this new rule will make? The iconic "sunk putt" sound of the ball rattling round the cup will be replaced with a "clank" of the ball hitting the flagstick.

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
I wonder how it will work if a caddy is tending the flag. Can he then decide to leave it in or take it out, depending on how fast his player has putted the ball?

All in all I think it is just little details and I doubt it will change the game much in pro events. The reasoning behind the new rule (which is actually a reversion back to how things were about 50 years ago, I think ... the flagstick out rule was introduced some time in the 60s) is that it speeds up play for the mere mortals who don't have caddies and who now don't have to wait until someone has wandered over to the other side of the green to tend or take out the flag before they can take a putt.

This is another aspect of the proposed rule that I'm concerned about. If you have the flagstick attended then it should be removed to prevent the ball striking it - as now. However if the ball does strike the flagstick, then whether there's a penalty or not depends on whether it was accidental - flagstick gets stuck in hole, flagstick attender gets distracted - in which case there is no penalty, or whether there's a deliberate act - ball hit too hard and flagstick left to try to stop it - in which case there is a penalty.

This is going to add more confusion to players - "it's now okay to leave the flag in so it must be okay to just let the ball hit the flag while it's attended, right?".

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is another aspect of the proposed rule that I'm concerned about. If you have the flagstick attended then it should be removed to prevent the ball striking it - as now. However if the ball does strike the flagstick, then whether there's a penalty or not depends on whether it was accidental - flagstick gets stuck in hole, flagstick attender gets distracted - in which case there is no penalty, or whether there's a deliberate act - ball hit too hard and flagstick left to try to stop it - in which case there is a penalty.

This is going to add more confusion to players - "it's now okay to leave the flag in so it must be okay to just let the ball hit the flag while it's attended, right?".
But if the flag is in and you intend for it to stay in, why would you tend it at all?? Surely to tend the flag is to have the intention of pulling it out when the ball gets near. So you would never tend the flag and then not bother pulling it out, or you're just wasting your time.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH i can't see it being a problem. Who in there right mind is going to leave a flag in for a 10 ft putt??.

it will help i'm sure and speed up play. for instance two players, one player on the green but 50ft away, the other 10 ft but off the green and having to chip the ball. player B has to attend the flag for player A, they then have to then go back and chip their ball. under the new rules both can just play.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't say I didn't warn you guys.

When people work out how much better it is to have the flag in on dowbhill putts it will become a right pain in the behind.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can see it being a right pain when the first to putt wants the flag in then the second to putt wants it out then the 3rd to putt wants it in then the 4th to putt wants it out...😨
All miss by 3 feet and the merry-go-round starts again

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personally, in case this does become a problem, they should issue a standard instruction, based on length.

You can putt with the flag in, if it is more than one flag length away.

Most, in bounce games, will just use common sense, and if someone doesn't agree on if it is in or out of that range can whiz the flag out, lie it down quickly to test if it is near enough, or not.

That way people can putt with the flag in from approx. 6-7 foot away, to save time. If within 6-7 foot, they have to putt as normal.:thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well thought it was time to dig out this thread as it was the first time we played a comp (non qualifying) with the new flag rule.

I won't bore you all with every shot will talk about what I did personally on the green.

1st - pitch to 1 foot. Flag in tap in
2nd - flag out 7 footer. Missed. Tap in no flag.
3rd - flag out 2 footer down hill
4th - flag in 7 footer downhill. Flag leaning a little left and away from me. Felt and looked good. left it in.
5th- tap in after leaving in for a 15 footer. Flag out.
6th - flag in from 12 foot. holed it. Confidence growing with this.
7th. Tap in with flag in.
8th. 30 footer. Told flag leaning towards me. Said dont worry. Leave it in. holed for bird. Flag in.
9th. Pitch to 15 feet. Well struck putt hits flag as it drops straight into the hole.
10- chip to 3 feet. Tap in. flag in.
11- 2 putt from 15 feet just off back of green. Flag in.
12- 20 foot two putt. Tap in flag in.
13- 10 foot flag in two putt.
14- 2 putt flag out tap in.
15 - 2 putt flag in.
16- 7 foot 1 putt flag out as it was leaning towards me.
17 - tap in flag out on 2nd putt.
18- 8 foot 1 putt. Flag in.

13 times I had the flag in when the ball went in the hole.

For me it is a clear advantage to have it in the hole a fair bit. We have flags that droop and sag. It is easy to see if the flag will help or hinder you.

Golf for me felt very different today. It certainly was handy to be able to just walk up and putt away. I did ask for the flag to be put back in quite often. My preference was quickly picked up by my mates.

Looking forward to seeing how others react to this. Wonder how will follow Bryson's lead.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm fully convinced it makes it easier.
For years, when playing solo, I've left itmin and aimed to hit the pin right in the middle.
Ball drops virtually every time.
Especially useful for those 3-4 footers that many people decelerate on as well as anything downhill.
Having the flag in means you can give it a bit more pace so it will hold its line more.
Playing yesterday with Fragger, neither of us felt the need to have the pin out at all, even on 18 inchers and under.
Unless you're a "die at the hole " putter, leaving the flag in will help you, I've no doubt.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played 9 by myself this morning and just out of instinct I always took the flag out. It wasn't till I tapped the birdie putt in on the last with the flag resting against me that I realised that the flag could now be left in.

Will have to play the next few weeks and see how it goes with the flag in.