Putting with the flag left in

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
They have, but the magnitude of the percentage is the key. For the average golfer playing two 18 hole rounds per week, does the two extra putts holed over a lifetime's golf make it worth the time to remove it ?
Imo, it does for the round being played, which is most important at that time!

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
They have, but the magnitude of the percentage is the key. For the average golfer playing two 18 hole rounds per week, does the two extra putts holed over a lifetime's golf make it worth the time to remove it ?
For a higher handicap probably not. For a low player probably.

I’m guessing you’re the first one 👍

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
When I read the opening post I thought it was a thread about whether folks agree/disagree with Bob that for him leaving the flag in 'looks wrong/rude' and not what we each do with it

I don’t think its rude (after all its just playing the game within its rules) and even less so (if that’s possible) when “seeing it on TV” as Bob says.
On TV the players own caddy would be the one to attend the flag so I don’t see where the possible rudeness of the scenario ''I'm not going to wait for you to tend the flag, I'm just going to putt anyway'' would even arise :unsure:

So it’s a 'no' to it being rude for me

Does it look wrong?
I recall lots of pundits/commentators saying similar in the months after the rule change, possibly because of how long that person had played. Understandable I guess…but we’re more than 5 years down the line from that (& other significant) changes, so for those of us playing through all those years it is unlikely to still look wrong to see someone putt with the flag in. Personally it appears quite natural to putt with a flag in
Also its not as if it wasn't done pre 2019. Millions of putts were made with the flag-in in social/practice golf. It just wasn't done in comps (formal & informal)

There will be many golfers on courses around the world this weekend that have never even played with a mandated ‘flag out’ rule.
I wonder how they’d view a return (introduction) of the old rule? Crazy, unwarranted, baseless, needless... or just 'why on earth!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Does it look wrong?
I recall lots of pundits/commentators saying similar in the months after the rule change, possibly because of how long that person had played. Understandable I guess…but we’re more than 5 years down the line from that (& other significant) changes, so for those of us playing through all those years it is unlikely to still look wrong to see someone putt with the flag in.!

I guess that's the answer.
Having not played for 6 years and not having Sky TV, I just haven't seen it done much.
And with the cost of membership round here almost doubling, I doubt I'll need to worry about the 2019 rule changes.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I guess that's the answer.
Having not played for 6 years and not having Sky TV, I just haven't seen it done much.
And with the cost of membership round here almost doubling, I doubt I'll need to worry about the 2019 rule changes.

Yeah I get it If you’re not out there seeing it day after day etc it’ll still look weird to say the least (hope you still get out for the odd round now and again though)

The analogy will be similar to a returning player out of the game for say 10 years and rocking up for a medal at their new club this weekend with their ‘still new’ Cally Apex or Ping G25 irons but also with their 2014 version of the rules still in the bag. Bit of an adjustment and learning curve for them seeing what other players do

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have flag out for most putts when playing with others as I usually leave it in when playing a few holes by myself. Why?

When out having a few holes by myself I was leaving the flag in as I couldn’t be bothered taking it out and I’m not that bothered whether or not I hole a putt. I found my head was taking that casual approach to putting with the flag in when it mattered (at least a bit). Too casual = too many missed or messed up putts. Plus leaving it in for short putts I found myself almost sub-consciously aiming to miss the flagstick in case my putt bounced out - rather not what I actually want to be doing.

But very few I play with require the flagstick to be in for all putts.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have flag out for most putts when playing with others as I usually leave it in when playing a few holes by myself. Why?

When out having a few holes by myself I was leaving the flag in as I couldn’t be bothered taking it out and I’m not that bothered whether or not I hole a putt. I found my head was taking that casual approach to putting with the flag in when it mattered (at least a bit). Too casual = too many missed or messed up putts. Plus leaving it in for short putts I found myself almost sub-consciously aiming to miss the flagstick in case my putt bounced out - rather not what I actually want to be doing.

But very few I play with require the flagstick to be in for all putts.
While in a group the amount of time saved would be negligible, but playing on your own it definitely saves time leaving it in, since otherwise you'd have to walk right up to the hole to take it out and then back to your ball each time. And as you say, nothing riding on it so it hardly matters if you have a bounce out. Although, when you say "found myself almost sub-consciously aiming to miss the flagstick in case my putt bounced out" - a lot of people would say they actually play the putts firmer with the stick in, because if you hit it dead-on the flagstick kills it and makes it drop.

However I seem to remember the flags at your place are slightly thicker so this may not be true there. Not to hammer him again but you probably recall us talking about the bounce-out that BDill93 had when we played last year. 😄

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
During Covid golf I got used to flag in, didn’t bother me. Once we were allowed to take them out, the first couple of rounds I couldn’t putt for toffee, so I went back to flag in on every putt. If it was out I’d need it back in.

Got to the the point where I was playing with different people most weeks who wanted the flag out, so it felt as though I was adding time by getting the flag putt back in for my putts. Sometimes we’d agree that I’d putt first with the flag in and once I’d finished we’d take the flag out, but I then felt the pressure to get finished! So I forced myself to putt with the flag out and I’m now not fussed whether it’s in or out.

I’ve read the studies about whether it’s best in or out, there are arguments for both. I’ve had putts hit the pin at pace and drop, and others at a slower pace hit the pin and not drop. Not something I’ll base my decisions on.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve read the studies about whether it’s best in or out, there are arguments for both. I’ve had putts hit the pin at pace and drop, and others at a slower pace hit the pin and not drop. Not something I’ll base my decisions on.
From my experience, I think if you hit one slightly too hard, but it's dead straight at the middle of the hole and hits the flagstick head on - the flagstick will help you in that scenario, and it may drop when it otherwise would have bounced over the hole. But in all other scenarios - i.e. not centre of the cup, much too hard, etc - it doesn't help you at all. Then you have other factors like it might be leaning slightly off centre, or leaning over because of the wind, in which case it can obviously stop your ball going in the cup on that side. So you can just make a judgement call about whether you want it there or not. For example, I'm a bit more likely to leave it in on downhillers, in case I give it too much juice, and then hitting the flag is going to leave you maybe one foot away, instead of lipping out and leaving you four foot away.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I watch a lot of pro golf.

When the rule first came out quite a few of the pros were putting with the flag in (not all putts) but slowly this number reduced.

One most notable player still doing it is Matt Fitzpatrick so much so one the TV pundits made a remark when he saw him have the flag out.

Bryson d C did it a lot but as he is now on LIV I have know idea of what he currently does but my memory of him at The Masters was of flag out.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing amongst my mates those that want the flag in are asked to putt first regardless of distance and once the flag is out it stays out until we all have finished. However we will always have those that refuse.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've always preferred flag out for mid/short range putts, but will go with the flow as I mainly play social golf so it's only a pot of tea at stake.

I don't care what the "stats" say (for or against), but when I occasionally look at what the pro's are doing, it seems that out is the preferred choice. The money they are playing for?? I'll be guided by them.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Left in for long, out for short. This last month or so I have asked if PPs want the flag attending. Not one has said yes