Putting with the flag left in

fat80b

Hacker
Visit site
The experiments that have been run show conclusively that out is better than in percentage wise.

For me, I don't really mind in terms of visuals, and tend to defer to what the others in the group want to do, but if I chose:

It's in for long putts, If I'm going to hit the stick, I'm probably going to hit it hard enough that it'll help the ball stop.

And out for short putts (less than 10-12 feet) as why wouldn't you benefit from the "science" of those tests.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing that certainly has gone out of the window is having somebody attend the flag for you.

It is either in or out.

The actual putt dictates for me whether it is in out and whether I am just playing for fun or in a comp.

In the main I am a flag out person. I prefer to have a 4" target than a 2" one.
I had to attend the flag a couple of weeks ago during a competition. 1st time in years.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had to attend the flag a couple of weeks ago during a competition. 1st time in years.

That's one thing that should have been removed with this rule change. In or out. If someone is at a distance that remaining in is their option just leave it.. won't change a sausage. Only reason to have attended before was because of the rule that it had to be out when the putt went in.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've played with a number of people who insist the flag has a life of it's own and purposely knocks away any ball daring to try to go in the hole. I don't know how many times people have insisted the ball was going in the hole if it wasn't for that dang flag (at 50mph), and like a Trump supporter...it doesn't matter if you tell them there was no chance of the ball going in it was going so fast....they believe it was going in so...... I've been helped a lot more by the flag than hurt by the flag. But I am a believer in doing what's best for your head. If you believe it's better to take the flag out, it is...because you have more confidence. If you believe it's better to leave it in, it is...for the same reason. I leave it in because I'm a lazy sod, and I don't think it makes a diddle of difference. The tapered flags are awesome though....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.
As per usual, it's raised another question (2)...
Are you allowed to have it tended and what happens if someone refuses??????

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you give them a stare of contempt or a mocking stare? Either would be acceptable 😄
I did think it was odd as he was about 20 yards away on a massive green. The other player in the group didn’t realise that when attended you still have to hold the flag stick before the player makes his stroke.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Most members I play with have the flag out for all putts except the longest…when it’s not so easy to actually see the hole. This has come about gradually - when first we were allowed to have ‘flag in’ the split was pretty even, if not more having the flag left in.

If a player wants the flag left in for all putts we’ll accommodate him and avoid hokey-cokey by letting him putt first or last. Obv wouldn’t do that in a match when order of putting can matter.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have no special preference, if it's in I will normally leave it in, if it's out I rarely ask for it to be replaced. I can't remember asking for it to be attended but would do if I really wanted it so.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.
As per usual, it's raised another question (2)...
Are you allowed to have it tended and what happens if someone refuses??????
This comes under Rule 1.2 Standards of Player Conduct.

There can be no penalty under this rule and a club has to have it's own code of conduct rules.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The experiments that have been run show conclusively that out is better than in percentage wise.
They have, but the magnitude of the percentage is the key. For the average golfer playing two 18 hole rounds per week, does the two extra putts holed over a lifetime's golf make it worth the time to remove it ?

Mandofred

Visit site
They have, but the magnitude of the percentage is the key. For the average golfer playing two 18 hole rounds per week, does the two extra putts holed over a lifetime's golf make it worth the time to remove it ?
This is nonsense. I can find studies that prove that it's better out than in...and then find studies that prove that it's better in than out. Nothing definitive. It's like winter mats....some people hate them, and it doesn't matter why.....they just hate them.