potential problem with the new 'flag in' rule !

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Agreed. Can't agree with you Imurg, where it's not possible, nothing is actually lost, but all those times it is possible then you're gaining a few seconds here there and everywhere.

An eg. One of our clubs slowest, is a glove off/on merchant and low handicapper. He'll walk from green to tee with his glove in pocket, mark card, then put glove on, then get ready to take his honour. He costs a group 15 minutes per round on tee shots alone. He's also never ready to play from the fairway, so again time lost (and glove to go back on again).

When I'm playing with him I'll be right on the tee until he gets the message, and same with any other card marker, glove off/on merchants are not so prevalent.
yep, I will be up putting out now with slowcoaches still faffing around on there 2nd or 3rd shots;)

saw a sky golf recap program before Christmas and Rich Beam, commented that DJ would not be waiting for slowcoaches and could see instances where he would just play and heads to the green

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
yep, I will be up putting out now with slowcoaches still faffing around on there 2nd or 3rd shots;)

saw a sky golf recap program before Christmas and Rich Beam, commented that DJ would not be waiting for slowcoaches and could see instances where he would just play and heads to the green

Interesting scenario? But I'm guessing that at some stage (next tee perhaps?), he'd have to stop & wait for the slowcoach to catch up? Can't really imagine he'd be able to just keep marching ahead?. Or could he?

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why is it nuts?

Because nobody that isn't playing full-time golf has done enough scientific research to prove that it's advantageous, and with pretty much 99.9% of people playing for their livelihoods leaving it in (with the exception of tap-ins and long putts), amateurs doing it from 6ft are doing it to be contrarian.

I'm likening it to climate change. If the vast majority of the world's top scientists are saying/doing one thing, and one bloke claims they're all wrong - I'm gonna side with the masses. And if the consensus of the masses change, I'll move with them.

Will almost certainly leave it in at times when I'm messing around on my own and can't be bothered to go and grab it, but until there's a major switch from the majority of the world's best over short putts, will be carrying on as normal.

Last edited:

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Because nobody that isn't playing full-time golf has done enough scientific research to prove that it's advantageous, and with pretty much 99.9% of people playing for their livelihoods leaving it in (with the exception of tap-ins and long putts), amateurs doing it from 6ft are doing it to be contrarian.
Fair enough, but bounce games on my own, I rarely take the pin out, I rarely miss a 3 footer, I ram them in. But, I have an issue when the pin *is out* in medals. Now yes, this could be handicap pressure, but I think not. I'll see how it goes this year.

Re: Pros - we're in tournament 1 of 2019, and even in that, 3% of the field are already leaving the flag in. The pros (like with long putters) won't change till they see enough evidence. If DeChambeau starts flying just you watch!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was thinking the pros may be at a slight disadvantage as they nearly always have strong upright flag poles. Behave. Lol

Seems there is plenty of room at all times with these for the ball to drop. I watched quite a number of Bryson's putts from yesterday and all went in without a hitch.

A ball that lips out or lips at all won't touch the flag so it has no bearing on these what so ever.

The pros main issue is getting used to how it looks. Some have openly stated as such.

The abused and old flag sticks and cups you find at normal golf clubs tend to lean one way or the other. Not so much on tour.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of the roughly 120 putts we had in our 4 ball today around 10 of them were to the hole with the flag in and none hit it or went in , rest were all out. The consensus seemed to be that if you wanted the flag in you putted until you'd putted out or wanted the flag out so no hokey coking ;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why is it nuts?
It’s more difficult to get the ball out the hole for a start.
I noticed in the seniors today how close they stood to the hole to retrieve their ball.
One guy left the flag in from 2ft then took it out so he could use his ball retriver on the end of his putter.

Wolf

Visit site
I noticed in the seniors today how close they stood to the hole to retrieve their ball.
One guy left the flag in from 2ft then took it out so he could use his ball retriver on the end of his putter.
I think over the years we will see more flags appearing on course with the built ball collectors at the bottom to stop this

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was thinking the pros may be at a slight disadvantage as they nearly always have strong upright flag poles. Behave. Lol

Seems there is plenty of room at all times with these.

The abused and old flag sticks and cups you find at normal golf clubs tend to lean one way or the other. Not so much on tour.
I measured our holes today , there is room all around the hole for a ball to fit except when there is some wear and the flag is leaning.
So I hit some putts at the narrow side and they didn’t drop.
Hit it plumb and it’s great , but wait until the greens get quicker and firmer so holes are cut better and I think this will throw a few out.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think over the years we will see more flags appearing on course with the built ball collectors at the bottom to stop this

I hope not as the ones on our practice green lean over to much.
They would need a bit of upgrading , but would solve the problem.

But what about damage to the hole, it’s ok with a 18” flag but a 6 foot flag in a strong wind or one of the long ones on blind shots.

Wolf

Visit site
I hope not as the ones on our practice green lean over to much.
They would need a bit of upgrading , but would solve the problem.

But what about damage to the hole, it’s ok with a 18” flag but a 6 foot flag in a strong wind or one of the long ones on blind shots.

I've played on courses in the past that have them on full length flag poles, the pole goes through the collection disk so still sits firmly in bottom of the cup as extra security without any issues of damaging the hole or wind problems

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've played on courses in the past that have them on full length flag poles, the pole goes through the collection disk so still sits firmly in bottom of the cup as extra security without any issues of damaging the hole or wind problems
I was mainly thinking of getting them in and out .
Wether they would damage the hole at the top with careless golfers, there not all like us!
But it would solve the old guys problem.

Visit site
Well after today (on my own) I can safely say leaving the flag in is not for me. The really lengthy putts I can understand 35-40ft+ but not anything under that, and especially not the shorter ones. Missed 2 4ft putts with pin in, next hole made a 6ft with pin out, holed 18ft for birdie with pin out and holed another birdie putt from 15ft right to left while looking at the hole and pin out.

You can’t beat the sound of the ball spinning around the bottom of the cup from them kind of distances.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

You should have politely suggested to that old boy that he takes up yoga.

😉

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Haters will hate.

Played 18 today, not once was a flag tended. In or out was the viable options and not once was there a cross word or a discussion or even the merest hint of wanting a flag tended in our 4 ball.

Still can't see where all the objections and moaning is coming from.

We have some absolutely huge greens as well.

Visit site
Some people can’t get their head around Aimpoint either, and we (those who do it) say exactly the same thing haters will hate. And just like those who don’t want to do Aimpoint, you’re going to get those who don’t want the flag in or wanting it tended.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well after today (on my own) I can safely say leaving the flag in is not for me. The really lengthy putts I can understand 35-40ft+ but not anything under that, and especially not the shorter ones. Missed 2 4ft putts with pin in, next hole made a 6ft with pin out, holed 18ft for birdie with pin out and holed another birdie putt from 15ft right to left while looking at the hole and pin out.

You can’t beat the sound of the ball spinning around the bottom of the cup from them kind of distances.

What happened on the two 4 foot putts you missed? Did the flag knock them out?