potential problem with the new 'flag in' rule !

D

Deleted member 15344

I most certainly hope so - no point bringing in all these rules to help the pace of play to then watch certain golfers take forever over each shot and people accept it as a norm

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
What’s the ruling on deliberately replacing the pin facing away from your putt. On windy days I feel this is fair enough as “the gods” decide but like others I think there’s the potential to almost legally cheat here

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Sorry but when it comes to varying methods and studies in golf there is never anything “definitive” and most certainly don’t expect any study to be taken as gospel unless it’s one that involves millions of golfers taking part from varying handicaps and pros.

If you are so confident that this study is that defining then im sure the pros already have site it and you will see what they think of it - over ten years of playing with flag in over winter and certainly not seen the ball go in more with flag in hence why most have the flag out

Apology accepted.

Of course there are definitive studies when it comes to golf. Its a game hugely effected by physics, mechanics, maths and engineering. Do you definitively agree that a titanium headed driver goes further than a wooden one, with all other variables being even? I can only assume by your post that you don't, not certainly as gospel anyway.

Academically, you don't need sample sizes running into the millions to prove or disprove theories. Nothing would ever get done.

The pros are human, and most aren't going to change behaivour right away - no matter how overwhelming the evidence is they'll want to see it in practice first hand. As I've already said, give it time. You only need to look at other results that disproved commonly held beliefs to understand how this works in reality.

Again, anecdotal evidence is entirely worthless so I don't know why you keep mentioning it.

From your comments above you'll probably still deny once the studies come out anyway like a flat earther - so just believe what you want to, it's no skin off my nose if someone chooses to deny science for whatever reason.

It's going round in circles and there's literally nothing more I can say on it at the moment so I'm done 👍🏻

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
What’s the ruling on deliberately replacing the pin facing away from your putt. On windy days I feel this is fair enough as “the gods” decide but like others I think there’s the potential to almost legally cheat here
Rule 13.2a prohibits it being done deliberately. But, I guess there is always scope for the less than scrupulous - "I put it in leaning away from the ball? Really? I didn't realise ... "

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You are not allowed to .

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think as far as the pros go, they are completely unconcerned about pace of play and have caddies to deal with the flag.

It seems likely we will see most of them continue to remove the pin, but ultimately if there is an advantage to be gained then I can’t imagine that any will keep removing it.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played for the first time with the new rules today one pp dropped from shoulder height won't be the last I think, I liked the new rule regarding leaving the flag in good to just put the long ones without having to wait for it to be tended and saved a bit of time.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Played for the first time with the new rules today one pp dropped from shoulder height won't be the last I think, I liked the new rule regarding leaving the flag in good to just put the long ones without having to wait for it to be tended and saved a bit of time.
You haven't heard ? It doesn't save time.:whistle:

Fully expecting someone to tell me it is slower next.:eek:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pros shouting at Landry in fairway dropping from shoulder height tonight,
Stopped himself and dropped from knee height.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nor is there any penalty for dropping from shoulder height - provided the player corrects himself by dropping properly before playing the ball.

One of my group was a 4/ hc and he realised after 7 holes that he dropped from shoulder height on the 3rd .

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of my group was a 4/ hc and he realised after 7 holes that he dropped from shoulder height on the 3rd .
In which case it would be a 1 shot penalty if the ball was played from within the appropriate relief area, or the general penalty (2 shots or loss of hole) if it was played from outside the relief area. A bit of a b***er, but not the end of the world.