potential problem with the new 'flag in' rule !

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played a scramble at the old tom morris course at Rossapenna. Plenty of cold wind about. Thick heavy flag sticks.

Flag stayed in most of the day. No issues.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I’ve not read back over all the posts, but apparently a Pro has stated dependant on the composition of the flag they will leave it in or remove it, with this in mind, that means there must be a variable of advantages or disadvantages based on what the flag is made of. Will this mean that in the not too distant future all flag sticks will have to be unified so there is consistency for the rule to be equal?

I prefer the flag out all the time personally and very rarely have it even tended.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve not read back over all the posts, but apparently a Pro has stated dependant on the composition of the flag they will leave it in or remove it, with this in mind, that means there must be a variable of advantages or disadvantages based on what the flag is made of. Will this mean that in the not too distant future all flag sticks will have to be unified so there is consistency for the rule to be equal?

I prefer the flag out all the time personally and very rarely have it even tended.

The first post of yours that I've noticed for a while, so welcome back Fish.

The first monthly Stableford of the year and all went well. As a three-ball we probably had a combined total of about 5 putts with the flag in, otherwise everyone happy with it out. Otherwise new rules went well without issue. One nearly lost ball - found after 2min 45s (timed), and no penalty for the first double hit I've seen in months.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Good example on the TV today with Gary woodland having a long eagle putt

Flag in and not tended (I'm assuming because the penalty no longer exists rendering the act of tending redundant in this case)

If the putt misses anywhere short, left, right or long left/right or online and short, which would usually be the case in 90% of these then pulling a tended flag has zero effect regardless of whether you think the flag in helps or hinders
Hit dead weight the ball will drop regardless of flag (the stats say)

That just leaves a putt hit dead online but too firm... I'd take the option of potentially using the unattended flag stick to take the pace off with the odds that my next putt will be shorter than an attended flag that has to be pulled

He made the putt which he hit a smidge over deadweight

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played in the Dunbar medal yesterday and we decided to leave the flag in for everything outside 6ft. None bounced out in fact one of my playing partners holes 4 long birdie putts. Definitely quicker

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in the Dunbar medal yesterday and we decided to leave the flag in for everything outside 6ft. None bounced out in fact one of my playing partners holes 4 long birdie putts. Definitely quicker

I don’t understand how it could be slower tbh. Anyone who used to have it attended could just leave it in because what’s the difference (not interested in the science, just talking about someone would be there to take flag out.. wouldn’t affect anyone’s “eye”) and then someone who putts with it out can still have it out

Don’t get me wrong if someone wants it attended I’m not going to not do that it’s just seems like they have installed a rule that either speeds up (in line with ready golf) or simplifies the game.. embrace it and bet within a few weeks people won’t even remember the old way!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I don’t understand how it could be slower tbh. Anyone who used to have it attended could just leave it in because what’s the difference (not interested in the science, just talking about someone would be there to take flag out.. wouldn’t affect anyone’s “eye”) and then someone who putts with it out can still have it out

Don’t get me wrong if someone wants it attended I’m not going to not do that it’s just seems like they have installed a rule that either speeds up (in line with ready golf) or simplifies the game.. embrace it and bet within a few weeks people won’t even remember the old way!

Amen brother!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just didn’t like the look of it tbh. Even tho I was on my own their was a sense of it didn’t mean anything with the flag in. More like ‘oh it’s only a knockabout’ a bit carefree. Whereas when the flag is out I get the sense of it means something. Like the 3 I made when the flag was out, 6ft, Aimpoint worked, 15ft Aimpoint worked and 18ft......yep you guessed it, Aimpoint again.

Maybe, NOT being elitist here, higher hc players like that feeling where putting with the flag in gives a sense of it doesn’t mean much! Just my opinion.

What you describe is just because it's a new concept that you're not used to, so it looks and feels weird to begin with. In six months time say, when a lot of other golfers may have started leaving flags in, it might feel less unnatural. I do get what you mean, it will always feel odd to start with.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Agree with this. If anyone asks me to tend the flag this year I'll probably remind them that it isn't necessary with the new rules, but if they then still insist then I will tend it for them.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played first game of year, in a 4 ball.
None of us (after the first hole....) asked for flagstick to be attended.

We all seemed to be happy with flag in for long putts which would previiously been attended, then flag taken out at roughly same distance as always.
Amazed and happy at how it speeded things up - we have large greens.

However I guess we are still in the mindset of "dont need to have the flag attended as there is no longer any penalty" but I suspect in time players will divide into
A) removing flag at previous comfortable distance
B) wanting flag left in at all times
At which times things may well slow down again unless you are playing in a group where all players are either A or B

Interestingly, like a lot of people I always leave little pins in the hole on the putting green so maybe Ill end up in Team B
At present I'm in team A

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Played first game of year, in a 4 ball.
None of us (after the first hole....) asked for flagstick to be attended.

We all seemed to be happy with flag in for long putts which would previiously been attended, then flag taken out at roughly same distance as always.
Amazed and happy at how it speeded things up - we have large greens.

However I guess we are still in the mindset of "dont need to have the flag attended as there is no longer any penalty" but I suspect in time players will divide into
A) removing flag at previous comfortable distance
B) wanting flag left in at all times
At which times things may well slow down again unless you are playing in a group where all players are either A or B

Interestingly, like a lot of people I always leave little pins in the hole on the putting green so maybe Ill end up in Team B
At present I'm in team A

It's all about changing dinosaur attitudes and perceptions.

Glad to see that many are positively embracing this change after trying it.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
First round played today of winter and 2019.
Only holes were flag was removed is when the green is hidden and to signal when we had done.
Other than that it stayed in.

Previously used to play a lot alone when I was off in the week so putting with the flag in is very normal for me.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played today and I’m very honest I’m saying I do not like this rule! It speeds up play without a doubt but one of the players in our group who is a terrible putter used this rule on numerous occasions to his advantage.

Generally his line/read is correct but he massively struggles with reading the pace, today he had around 8 putts that’s hit the pin and stopped inside 18” from the pin for a tap in. I fully accept that this rule is the same for everyone one but under the old ruling due to today’s pin positions, on some putts he may have had 10/15ft return putt.

I can say hand in heart out match went to 18th and a strong contributor to this was him holing tap in 2nd putts on greens where he should have at least three putted based on lasts years putting skills.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played today and I’m very honest I’m saying I do not like this rule! It speeds up play without a doubt but one of the players in our group who is a terrible putter used this rule on numerous occasions to his advantage.

Generally his line/read is correct but he massively struggles with reading the pace, today he had around 8 putts that’s hit the pin and stopped inside 18” from the pin for a tap in. I fully accept that this rule is the same for everyone one but under the old ruling due to today’s pin positions, on some putts he may have had 10/15ft return putt.

I can say hand in heart out match went to 18th and a strong contributor to this was him holing tap in 2nd putts on greens where he should have at least three putted based on lasts years putting skills.

Used the rules to his advantage , sounds like a pro! What with spieths drop to win the open and all that

I wish I could actually be confident that it’s gonna hit the pin and slow down lol if it misses could go even further past.. almost a nice bit of skill deployed here

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Played a roll up today and in our 4 ball I was in the minority as all the others wanted the flag out. As it wasn't too serious I relented a few times if I wasn't putting first, but I didn't see many other groups putting with it in to be honest. I did ask for the flag back in once or twice when I felt it was particularly beneficial (e.g downhill and when I needed to be aggressive to save a point :oops:).

Feel there is a risk of feeling pressured until such time that people realise the advantages. It prompted quite a discussion today and the others were all quoting other research which suggested it was better out. To be honest no one tested it today by hitting the flag so think it will take time and in the meantime tradition may persist for the majority.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We had it in for the majority of the day. Only if it leaned towards the player was it removed.

Someone did say we were leaving it in out of laziness now. It wasn't affecting the putts in a negative manner so everyone was happy to leave it.

It was taken out for the odd 3 footer by some.

I have yet to see a flag reject a putt. I'm sure it will happen sometime but as yet the flag in is working an absolute treat.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played today for the first time with the new rule, other lads just took it out as normal, I wanted it in a few times but couldn't be &rsed with the chew on so did it as normal.
Aka nothing has changed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
First competition round of the year today. I quickly adjusted to leaving the flag in actually. Often it was out of convenience for the first putt and not waiting for someone to take it out. Also I had a few downhillers early so I figured it would be advantageous to leave it in anyway. One of our group didn't take to it straight away and preferred the flag out, but rather than do flagstick hokey cokey, we just did it so that he putted last out of the three of us in that scenario.

I actually holed two really nice quite long putts with the flag in, both would have gone in either way, but it did at least show that keeping the flag in didn't hinder my putting. I thought maybe having the flag in meant I was more focused on the centre of the hole and therefore putted better? Hard to say for definite though. I had one putt that hit the flag and stayed out, but it was left of centre so I can't tell if it would have dropped without the flag - it may have lipped out on the other side. Hitting the flag left me a tap in anyway.

One downside is that once you've holed with the flag in, you have to be very careful in picking the ball out with your fingers so as not to damage the edge of the hole. Probably a greenkeeper's nightmare to be honest as a lot of people won't be that careful.