potential problem with the new 'flag in' rule !

Visit site
4 ball Shotgun start at 9 in this mornings stableford, only 2 shots on 2 greens had the pin in, the rest we were very happy to have it out.
Personally I won’t be putting with the pin in, EVER, and I agree with oddsocks.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Played today and I’m very honest I’m saying I do not like this rule! It speeds up play without a doubt but one of the players in our group who is a terrible putter used this rule on numerous occasions to his advantage.

Generally his line/read is correct but he massively struggles with reading the pace, today he had around 8 putts that’s hit the pin and stopped inside 18” from the pin for a tap in. I fully accept that this rule is the same for everyone one but under the old ruling due to today’s pin positions, on some putts he may have had 10/15ft return putt.

I can say hand in heart out match went to 18th and a strong contributor to this was him holing tap in 2nd putts on greens where he should have at least three putted based on lasts years putting skills.
Speeds up play, and you hole more putts. Struggling to find why you wouldn’t leave flag in.:sneaky:

Personally I think for social golf flag should just be left in the hole. Ready golf and no tending should defintely speed up the game.(y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played in the roll up. As I feared we had the in/out scenario especially on shorter putts.

I have tried keeping it in all of the time but had a well hit putt that hit the flag and stayed out which the PP's all thought would have dropped with it out so I'm still not convinced. It might just have been unlucky so will perhaps give it another few rounds before deciding if/when I want it out

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Played using this rule yesterday and again today, i think it's a good change, no need to have the flag tended from 30ft or more and also speeds up play as nobody has to walk and remove it if they don't want to. Overall a good change, it could potentially be a pain if one wants it out, the other wants it in but I'm sure most people will only leave it in for longer range efforts or if they can't be bothered taking it out

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played in a 4bbb match today and was the only player who played with the flag in, however, I dont see playing matchplay using ready golf on the greens (other than with your pp) is sensible so I only had the flag replaced once during the round when it was my turn to putt

D

Deleted Member 1156

Played yesterday, carried on taking the flag out as before. 4 balls were getting round in about 3hr40

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One downside is that once you've holed with the flag in, you have to be very careful in picking the ball out with your fingers so as not to damage the edge of the hole. Probably a greenkeeper's nightmare to be honest as a lot of people won't be that careful.

At least under the new rules if the player causing the damage does not repair it any other play can so, the hole should have been repaired by someone, even if in the group following, before the greenkeeper gets to see it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At least under the new rules if the player causing the damage does not repair it any other play can so, the hole should have been repaired by someone, even if in the group following, before the greenkeeper gets to see it.
This was something that came up yesterday. Played with a guy with with big hands and he really struggled to get the ball out of the hole when holing out with the flag in. I can definitely see holes getting damaged and surely it's going to slow play down if people have to stop and repair the hole(s) and how well will these repairs be made?

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
having been layed since before new year I havent had the chance to play with the new flag in rules ,I cant see it being much of a to do ,it will speed things up a little I would have thought as people can be lining up there own putts without having to tend the pin . it will be interesting to see if any other pro putts flag in other than Bryson.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This was something that came up yesterday. Played with a guy with with big hands and he really struggled to get the ball out of the hole when holing out with the flag in. I can definitely see holes getting damaged and surely it's going to slow play down if people have to stop and repair the hole(s) and how well will these repairs be made?

If guys with big shovel hands find themselves breaking the hole then common sense would tell them to remove the stick and retrieve the ball.

Honestly don't see this being an issue. Especially come the summer time.

Visit site

Not sure that proves anything tbh. All the holed putts he hit would’ve gone in the hole if the flag was out. I think the speed of the putt needs to be higher then that to really prove anything, but like I said in another post, anyone who wants to charge a ball that risks going 4ft+ past the hole (if missed) best have a putting stroke on rails to benefit having the pin in.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As already said why does he not simply remove the flagstick first. Nine times out of ten the ball will come out with it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As already said why does he not simply remove the flagstick first. Nine times out of ten the ball will come out with it.

Maybe not quite what you're describing but we should all be on the look out for the numpties that use removing the flagstick with the intention of ejecting the ball at the same time
This will cause damage and loosen the liner

D

Deleted Member 1156

Does anyone think putting with the flag in will make a difference to how long a round takes? It may save a few seconds per green but people will still faff about, not ready to play when it is their turn etc.
Saving 2 minutes on a 5 hour round.....whoopee!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Does anyone think putting with the flag in will make a difference to how long a round takes? It may save a few seconds per green but people will still faff about, not ready to play when it is their turn etc.
If it saves 10 I'll be amazed.
I doubt it will mark the end of Slow Play threads

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
With this kind of attitude, probably not.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Noticed a lot of lag putts from the pros being played with the flag in yesterday.

Caddy not being asked to tend like he normally would.