potential problem with the new 'flag in' rule !

D

Deleted member 3432

I'm hoping putting with the flag in is going to make the game attractive to a younger demographic :)

Hope to see the result of some studies into this before the year end.

Visit site
What happened on the two 4 foot putts you missed? Did the flag knock them out?

I just didn’t like the look of it tbh. Even tho I was on my own their was a sense of it didn’t mean anything with the flag in. More like ‘oh it’s only a knockabout’ a bit carefree. Whereas when the flag is out I get the sense of it means something. Like the 3 I made when the flag was out, 6ft, Aimpoint worked, 15ft Aimpoint worked and 18ft......yep you guessed it, Aimpoint again.

Maybe, NOT being elitist here, higher hc players like that feeling where putting with the flag in gives a sense of it doesn’t mean much! Just my opinion.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Haters will hate.

Played 18 today, not once was a flag tended. In or out was the viable options and not once was there a cross word or a discussion or even the merest hint of wanting a flag tended in our 4 ball.

Still can't see where all the objections and moaning is coming from.

We have some absolutely huge greens as well.
Do you like Marmite?

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ball going in hole in lowest amount of shots is what us chompers want, same as elitist golfers i assume. Ive played with blind golfers deaf golfers one armed golfers and elitist golfers. Who cares how it get there if u see it or hear it who cares.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some people can’t get their head around Aimpoint either, and we (those who do it) say exactly the same thing haters will hate. And just like those who don’t want to do Aimpoint, you’re going to get those who don’t want the flag in or wanting it tended.

It’s just a choice !
Dosnt mean we hate the flag in.
I always leave it in from 150yds!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Ball going in hole in lowest amount of shots is what us chompers want, same as elitist golfers i assume. Ive played with blind golfers deaf golfers one armed golfers and elitist golfers. Who cares how it get there if u see it or hear it who cares.

You mean you never felt elitist playing with all those people?

😜

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I just didn’t like the look of it tbh. Even tho I was on my own their was a sense of it didn’t mean anything with the flag in. More like ‘oh it’s only a knockabout’ a bit carefree. Whereas when the flag is out I get the sense of it means something. Like the 3 I made when the flag was out, 6ft, Aimpoint worked, 15ft Aimpoint worked and 18ft......yep you guessed it, Aimpoint again.

Maybe, NOT being elitist here, higher hc players like that feeling where putting with the flag in gives a sense of it doesn’t mean much! Just my opinion.

That does sound like a bit of a mental block. Kind of what Justin Thomas is saying.

It's early doors. Not everyone will take to it right away. Maybe even at all.

Loads more people will begin to do it once they get a feel for it. See it in action. See the benefits. Drops their fears and Trust the science.

In regards to your point of it didn't feel like it ment that much. Well I have used it in a competition on new years day. My juices were flowing and I was attempting to shoot the best score I could on the day. Numerous times I felt it best to leave the flag in place. Holed plenty on the day and the flag rejected none. Could not have been happier.

I would not be surprised to see a 360 on this rule so will just go with the flow for the time being and enjoy it.

Playing a scramble tomorrow at a Rossapenna. Will be fun to see how everyone else feels and sees it.

It is a huge change to the game of golf. I would be happier has they left it alone. Fun to discuss, experiment and observe along the way though.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Massive respect to anyone who can play golf blind.
Think that’s awesome, I can just manage with ok sight.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That does sound like a bit of a mental block. Kind of what Justin Thomas is saying.

Loads more people will begin to do it once they get a feel for it. See it in action. See the benefits. Drops their fears and Trust the science.

In regards to your point of it didn't feel like it ment that much. Well I have used it in a competition on new years day. My juices were flowing and I was attempting to shoot the best score I could on the day. Numerous times I felt it best to leave the flag in place. Holed plenty on the day and the flag rejected none. Could not have been happier.

I would not be surprised to see a 360 on this rule so will just go with the flow for the time being and enjoy it.

Playing a scramble tomorrow at a Rossapenna. Will be fun to see how everyone else feels and sees it.

It is a huge change to the game of golf. I would be happier has they left it alone. Fun to discuss, experiment and observe along the way though.

I have done this for years ,mainly playing alone when it dosnt count.
It could be a mental thing if I assume it’s just a knock.
But I have come to the conclusion that I don’t like it.

I would never say never but at the moment I am firmly in the no flag camp.
Each to their own.
And I like a good discussion. It’s how you learn things!!!

Visit site

Yeah maybe it is mental, like most things in golf if your not comfortable with it then you don't do it. Whether science has got a say in it only time will tell, I wasn't convinced with the video posted on their findings as it be ludicrous to hit a ball that hard from that range hoping to hit the pin.
You choose to keep the flag in as the rules have determined that and given you the option, your choice, just like those who choose not to leave it in OR wanting it tended, the rules HAVE NOT banished that option, only people on high pedastals have decided that in here.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah maybe it is mental, like most things in golf if your not comfortable with it then you don't do it. Whether science has got a say in it only time will tell, I wasn't convinced with the video posted on their findings as it be ludicrous to hit a ball that hard from that range hoping to hit the pin.
You choose to keep the flag in as the rules have determined that and given you the option, your choice, just like those who choose not to leave it in OR wanting it tended, the rules HAVE NOT banished that option, only people on high pedastals have decided that in here.
Agree with this especially the last bit ,And I really do think it will cause problems if someone refuses to attend the flag.
But let’s not get into that again.

Visit site

It doesn’t bother who or what hc a player is to me. I’ve played with them all just like yourself. It’s was directed to someone who took a post out of context, so now I state what I said as not to ‘offend’ others. Sorry if it did.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Some people can’t get their head around Aimpoint either, and we (those who do it) say exactly the same thing haters will hate. And just like those who don’t want to do Aimpoint, you’re going to get those who don’t want the flag in or wanting it tended.
I have my head fully around it. It's the absolute faffing about that goes on and further slows down a game that is already too slow. And those that I've seen use it (thankfully none at my club), their putting wasnt much cop anyway, of course they could have been utter horse before so I can't judge. But, my review of aimpoint is, get a bloody move on!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I have my head fully around it. It's the absolute faffing about that goes on and further slows down a game that is already too slow. And those that I've seen use it (thankfully none at my club), their putting wasnt much cop anyway, of course they could have been utter horse before so I can't judge. But, my review of aimpoint is, get a bloody move on!

The Crux is though - are you an elite golfer?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played in comp conditions for first time today under new rules. All a pain on the greens as two of us were happy putting with it in and one insisted on having it out for everything over 5 feet. We were trying to putt out where possible before he took it out but sometimes we'd be on the line. All a bit messy but round in under four hours

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It worked very smoothly in our 4 ball today. We have big greens on some holes and when the pin was a distance it was left in. If my ball was at the front, others af the back but further from the pin, I would simply putt with the flag in whilst they walked to their balls. They could then make their own minds up but it meant I wasn't waiting. By the end the others were doing the same.

Once the flag was out it stayed out. Our 4 ball all had common sense and it was either in or out for all. There was no in and out, in again etc.

Definitely an improvement.