• Not that bothered but tending towards negative

• Totally neutral - don't care

• Not that bothered but tending towards positive

• Completely positive

Results are only viewable after voting.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
In order to decide on someone's handicap at the start I would take a number of factors into account. Obviously I'd get them to score a few rounds in different conditions with different players I knew. I'd look at the swing and nature of the bad shots. I'd pay particular attention to short game and putting because that is where the most shots are wasted. I'd then make an assessment based on my, and others', experience. I'd give him a handicap that he'd feel proud to win off. A carrot that isn't out of reach. Then, if and when, he does win he doesn't get run out of town.

That's how we used to do it.
That has never been the system in the Uk in the 25 years I've been an active golf club memeber.

In any case how do you ensure consistency in approach within and across golf clubs with such a subjective system.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Allow me to give you another example of how the course rating system falls down. My course is a tough track. Tee shots are what makes it difficult. Fairway bunkers are strategically placed and are in play off medal tees for most golfers who are single figures. We also have forward tees, used to be called ladies tees, and championship tees. The CR difference between medal and forward is 3.6. Between medal and championship it is 3.8.

Here's the thing. A scratch player playing off either championship or forward tees has no longer to worry about the bunkers. He either can't reach them or he can easily clear them.

We have choice of tee competitions, which again I'm not keen on, but the low guys, when they do play, never choose to play off medal tees anymore. In fact the medal tees rarely throws up a winner. Sad for the course design...

Is choosing a tee in a multiple tee competition that allows you to avoid most hazards a form of cheating now made possible by this system?
Again how would a course rating saystem work in your world.

IanMac

Visit site
That has never been the system in the Uk in the 25 years I've been an active golf club memeber.

In any case how do you ensure consistency in approach within and across golf clubs with such a subjective system.
So when do you allow someone to do their three cards for their initial handicap?