Played today, yaaaaay!

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Managed to get out for a game today, was intending to have 18 but something cropped up so played 9 at leeds castle.

Had a really good day by my standards, hit all the fairways on the par 4's (they are generous though) and hit 2 greens on the par 3's.

I ended up +8 for the 9 holes and was absolutely over the moon with that as this is fantastic going for me. I parred the most difficult hole on the course, sinking a 25ft putt with an audience present so felt good.

All in all a pleasing round of golf, I need to work on my short game more and also, I find it very difficult to hit irons off of very wet and squishy fairways - any ideas?

Jon

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I have the same problem and it made me fear striking the ball with my irons, now I dont care about the divots I make and play to hit that bloody thing as far as I can.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done mate, been trying to sort my game out this season. Had some great results from using my 5 wood around the green.

That putt sound a bit special, I love it when the forum resembles an online club house. Did “the crowd” give a ripple of applause?

Sorry cant help with the crap fairways, not much longer now! The mornings are getting lighter by the day!

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hitting irons off of fairways is an absolute bugger. i had the problem chipping too . hit everything a smidgen fat and lost loads of distance. Whats the yardage for the nine holes jon??

T

thecraw

I was lucky enough to get a game at West Kilbride yesterday and the greens were awesome for the time of year. Absolutely superb, smooth and true.

Lovely sunny day with excellent views over to the Isle of Arran. Shame I developed a duck hook off the tee from the 11th to the 15th!!!!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Squishey fairways are a load of plop. I sometimes just grip the club about a quarter of an inch down to give me that bit of confidence. Couple decent practice swings too. Sounds like ya played well Jon, nice one!

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hitting irons off of fairways is an absolute bugger. i had the problem chipping too . hit everything a smidgen fat and lost loads of distance.

Perhaps you need slightly shorter clubs??? :D :D

No this is the first time i have played the Winter Season so i have to get used to conditions. As jon has experienced today.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What did I tell you? Glad it was a good one!
Re the fairways, hate it too, even a fairway wood doesn't feel right off the muddy stuff.Haven't played to my h'cap for a few weeks now. :(

AliB

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Managed 18 holes today as I had a flexi day off (thank you the NHS for flexi time). Played to my handicap but things were goign really well. 3 straight pars followed by a nice double bogey, par, double, bogey, par bogey .

The back nine started well with two pars but became erratic. Bogey, bogey, double, bogey, bogey and a nice par at the last lagging a 40 foot putt stone dead in front of most of the waitressing staff standing on the patio having coffee. A quick wave of my hand and a doft of my cap to acknowledge their applause and into the clubhouse for a bacon sarnie.

Off tomorrow too but promised the wife we'd go to London for some retail therapy. Still, I'm planning to get back in time to hit some balls on the range

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Managed a game yesterday AND today, Jon.

Trying to get a wee bit practice in for the game the Scots lads have arranged at Blairgowrie later in the month. That'll probably be the next time I pick up a club, due to other commitments now.

My girlfriend was bored today so caddied for me to blow away the cobwebs. It worked. She forgot how windy the East coast links are at this time of year.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zWOOSMI8a_c

Unfortunately the course has taken a pounding with rain lately and was in the worst condition I've ever seen it, but still perfectly playable. Just really hard to putt. 39 putts again today for an 82, which was at least progress on the day before!

Roll on summer!

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
MVP, it is just shy of 2700 yards from the mens tees.

It is quite a good workout there as it is very hilly aswell so will help the weight-loss!

They keep it in really nice condition and was impressed for this time of year.

It was the fairways that disappointed and from what a lot of others have said on here they have the same problem on quidgy fairways. You are exactly right about fatting the ball and losing distance, its horrible to see a 7 iron manage just 100ish yards!

I think I am going to make regular visits there as the surroundings are second to none, the staff friendly and the course suitably challenging.

www.leeds-castle.com

have a look folks and tell me what you reckon. A lot of the greens are completely unviewable from the tees aswell adding to the challenge.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I have just cancelled my visit to the home course in favour of a 12 hole 3 par course and driving range, its not relaxing playing alone on a saturday morning when you have 4 balls in front and behind you. Roll on pre 7am tee offs, 18 holes and home by 10am and the 4 balls are no where to be seen.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
All in all a pleasing round of golf, I need to work on my short game more and also, I find it very difficult to hit irons off of very wet and squishy fairways - any ideas?

Jon

How about a hybrid or a five wood? doesn't seem to disturb so much mud and doesn't seem to spray it around quite as much. Depends on the lie of course.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
www.leeds-castle.com

have a look folks and tell me what you reckon. A lot of the greens are completely unviewable from the tees aswell adding to the challenge.

Leeds Castle is regularly marked as the most beautiful castle in the land and to have a golf course around it is pretty much as close to heaven on earth as I can imagine!

Next time I'm in the area, I really must make the effort to get a game there as I've never played it.

As a kid though, I was always a bit baffled how Leeds could be up norf and yet Leeds castle was just around the corner...

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
www.leeds-castle.com

Leeds Castle is regularly marked as the most beautiful castle in the land and to have a golf course around it is pretty much as close to heaven on earth as I can imagine!

Next time I'm in the area, I really must make the effort to get a game there as I've never played it.

As a kid though, I was always a bit baffled how Leeds could be up norf and yet Leeds castle was just around the corner...

They stole it off us :mad:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I played Leeds castle a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed it. Nice track, not amazing, but nice. Great views. Played in summer though, so fairways were superb. got accosted by some bird in the club house wanting to cure my hayfever by setting fire to my ears. Not sure how this was supposed to help.

Our fairways aren't too soggy at the moment, but I did hit a 5 wood last weekend which showered me with mud. On my hat, in my eyes, the full load. Unfortunately was also wearing my new chavvy white waterproof jacket, so that was one for the washing machine. Not quite so trendy covered in c**p.

Smudge

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good to hear you got out. Not played Leeds Castle for years but from memory its a nice one. Don't they have a par 4 where the long hitters can go for the green across the moat?

Lloydy84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looks like things are improving, after all the rain, you could have sold fishing tickets for our course 2 weeks ago! nice and dry now though, just in time for the half term holidays!

bring on 9 days of 10 to 5 golf!