Pick Your Tee

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just had an email from the club and it will now be possible in roll up competitions to pick whether you play from the yellow or white tees. Personally I think that this is a great idea to make competitions more inclusive for those that struggle off the longer tees. Apparently the computers have an option to pick which tee you used and work out the score based on the appropriate SSS.

Nice to see the club being a bit forward thinking and offering a different option.

D

Deleted member 1147

So it adjusts par, based on SSS, if you are playing a stableford?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
That's great.

Personally feel playing off the yellows favours weaker players and so should enable some of the higher handicappers to get a few decent scores in.

And shouldn't affect the low guys who can play off the whites with less fear of a 28 handicapper coming in with a net 61.

D

Deleted Member 1156

And shouldn't affect the low guys who can play off the whites with less fear of a 28 handicapper coming in with a net 61.
My understanding is that if someone has a low score off yellows then it would affect the guys playing off whites as that score would still win the competition?
How does it affect the CSS though??

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just had an email from the club and it will now be possible in roll up competitions to pick whether you play from the yellow or white tees. Personally I think that this is a great idea to make competitions more inclusive for those that struggle off the longer tees. Apparently the computers have an option to pick which tee you used and work out the score based on the appropriate SSS.

Nice to see the club being a bit forward thinking and offering a different option.
We have the choice of yellow or white, but only in our Tuesday medals. Yellow for me, red if i could get away with it :sneaky:, Both tees have their own SS and separate CSS is calculated.

D

Deleted member 21258

Here's me thinking that's why we have handicaps.

There are some courses with 'long' carries off the tee so a short hitter needs to play off a shorter tee, to actually make those carries. For example, can think of some heathland courses that shorter hitters struggle to make the carry and handicaps can not really allow for that.....

Good thing to do and more clubs that allow it the better, agree with OP

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So how does it work if someone shoots 39 points off the yellows and someone shoots 39 off the whites. Who wins? Surely it can't go to countback as they aren't playing the same course?
There would surely be an adjustment to allow for the whites being tougher. I think this is a great idea and it would definitely be popular at my place, 400yds difference between whites and yellows and so many don't play in comps that are off the whites. I would be one of the ones going off our yellow tees but I would expect there to be a balance to allow for the whites being a tougher test.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There would surely be an adjustment to allow for the whites being tougher. I think this is a great idea and it would definitely be popular at my place, 400yds difference between whites and yellows and so many don't play in comps that are off the whites. I would be one of the ones going off our yellow tees but I would expect there to be a balance to allow for the whites being a tougher test.
But what adjustment. As far as I'm aware and stand to be educated if you ran a comp of the dual tees it would go to countback and not be based on CSS/SSS to determine a winner. Just seems unfair if the yellows win it as they potentially scored better on a shorter course

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But what adjustment. As far as I'm aware and stand to be educated if you ran a comp of the dual tees it would go to countback and not be based on CSS/SSS to determine a winner. Just seems unfair if the yellows win it as they potentially scored better on a shorter course
I don't know the answer, I'm making assumptions. Hopefully GB72 will post his experiences of this after the weekend. We may all be a bit wiser after that.

Allowing all tees is very inclusive and I like that but I also agree that the integrity of the competition has to stand up.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surely the score is adjusted by the difference in the SSS between the different tees. So say White SSS is 72 and Yellows SSS is 70 then there would be a 2 shot adjustment to one set of the scores to make them comparable for the competition purposes.

So whites 39 would be compared to yellows 39, adjusted to 37

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Those playing off the white tees receive additional strokes and so
Surely the score is adjusted by the difference in the SSS between the different tees. So say White SSS is 72 and Yellows SSS is 70 then there would be a 2 shot adjustment to one set of the scores to make them comparable for the competition purposes.

So whites 39 would be compared to yellows 39, adjusted to 37
Exactly, depending on which course the competition is on, those playing from the white tees receive an additional 1 or 2 shots. As I said, only a trial for roll up comps at the moment but still an attempt to make it more inclusive. The committee email starts by saying that they get half the complaints that there are too many comps off the white tees and the other half that there are too many off yellows. Credit too them for finding a way to please everyone