Pick Your Tee

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I made the suggestion to our seniors committee some years ago about having two comps on the same day with a choice of a yellow tee comp or a white tee comp.

back came the reply " a lot of seniors cannot cope with the computer scores input system when there is one comp ............."

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I made the suggestion to our seniors committee some years ago about having two comps on the same day with a choice of a yellow tee comp or a white tee comp.

back came the reply " a lot of seniors cannot cope with the computer scores input system when there is one comp ............."
IG does a great job - really simple. Only additional step is to select the tees you played from the choice presented at the same stage as confirmation of playing handicap.
Easy to set up as well.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm very surprised to hear senior opens are played off the back, our seniors would have a fit if you asked them to play from the whites.
Our senior matches and comps are played mainly from the yellows, some comps from the greens.
Our Vets league matches were played from the back up until this year!
We don't have carries to the fairways so tees and ratings deal with it all very well and, whilst most will have preferred tees, it all comes out in the wash. Winners have been from all tees and all handicap categories pretty much in proportion to entry numbers for many years.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any delay between tees in the same group should be equalised by the people playing off the yellow tees taking fewer shots, would be the theory. One to monitor.
Overly simplistic! In general it makes it run more smoothly when people play from tees most suited to their driving distances...which doesn't always happen of course.
Other than that it's all neutral

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IG does a great job - really simple. Only additional step is to select the tees you played from the choice presented at the same stage as confirmation of playing handicap.
Easy to set up as well.

Yes I know

We often run two comps on different courses (optional entry on the day). We still get a lot of players who enter their scores against the wrong comp.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Overly simplistic! In general it makes it run more smoothly when people play from tees most suited to their driving distances...which doesn't always happen of course.
Other than that it's all neutral
I appreciate it is a simplistic view, I did add 'in theory' as a get out :D. In my head I don't think it would add much, moving between tees, but it would be one to monitor and see. I wonder if in reality people would tend to stick together anyway, ie yellow tee groups and white tee groups?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I appreciate it is a simplistic view, I did add 'in theory' as a get out :D. In my head I don't think it would add much, moving between tees, but it would be one to monitor and see. I wonder if in reality people would tend to stick together anyway, ie yellow tee groups and white tee groups?
They try; on more than one occassion individual choices have been changed so that the whole group is playing from the same.

The point inward trying to make is that one of the barriers to a smooth flowing course (as opposed to the total time taken to play a round) is that longer hitters are playing par 5s in 2 whilst senior hacker are taking 3 shots to get out of their range from the tee alone (as has been posted as opinion on here....). This gets 'corrected' when the shorter hitters are playing from a tee 80yds ahead ie they are playing to and from a similar landing area in a similar number of strokes.
But, not everyone selects their tees for that reason!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think it's a good idea and is a precursor to next year's handicap system change, where slope will allow people to compete in comps on same day from different tees with the difference being made up with the handicap variation dependent on the slope for the selected set of tees.

The absence of slope is no barrier to people competing from different tees in the same competition at all.

None.

In fact for a field of scratch golfers there will be absolutely no difference in practice from the current situation.

Slope will change the relative handicap differentials from the same tees as well as different ones.

The only barrier is a combination of ignorance and prejudice.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is superb! What a forward thinking club.

Hats off to them!

Ideally for the generic weekly competitions everyone should be able to play from a tee of their choosing.

I wonder if cost is a barrier to this however, maybe one day but probably not today.