Pick Your Tee

Wolf

Visit site
Think it's a good idea and is a precursor to next year's handicap system change, where slope will allow people to compete in comps on same day from different tees with the difference being made up with the handicap variation dependent on the slope for the selected set of tees.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s easily done - it’s the same when you have ladies playing of different tees with a different SSS

Just adjust the scores depending on the format and the relative pars and SSS

Easy way would be to have the SSS for the whites as the base level and then adjust up or down depending on the SSS and par for the other tees used

Good idea

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This will make comps more inclusive - I take it anyone regardless of HCP can choose which tee to play off?

I often end up always playing off the furthest tee as possible just so when I play comps it's no different. However, I do play with a friend who's 20 years my senior and struggles to outdrive my 5 irons with his driver and the white tees punish him massively in comparison.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
My understanding is that if someone has a low score off yellows then it would affect the guys playing off whites as that score would still win the competition?
How does it affect the CSS though??

Surely you'd be in a competition where you are playing off white or playing off yellows.
Can't imagine they would cross over as effectively different courses.

My point was that you'd imagine that generally low handicappers would play off the whites and higher guys off the yellows.

D

Deleted member 15344

Surely you'd be in a competition where you are playing off white or playing off yellows.
Can't imagine they would cross over as effectively different courses.

My point was that you'd imagine that generally low handicappers would play off the whites and higher guys off the yellows.

You can play off multiple tees in any competition provided it has been rated for a SSS - you then use the predetermined formula to adjust scores depending on which tee used - it’s how mixed comps are done. It’s a simple thing

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have been doing it for some time, with either a choice of 2 or 3 tees and a difference in SSS of 2 or 4 depending on which tee you choose.
There will always be seperate CSS calculations because that's how CONGU require you to do it (theory sounds great but in practice it's a bit daft and throws up the usual anomalies in relatively small fields).
There's only one set of winners based on scores in the usual way - nothing new there.
Surprisingly most of the anticipated paradigms haven't happened so far - any attempts to predict better scoring from particular tees fail, and many higher handicap seniors elect to play off the longest course with the highest SSS because they perceive it as the best value to their game. Yes, the seriously shorter hitters play the shortest course - but rarely challenge the winning podium.

User20204

Visit site
I'm not quite understanding this, so enlighten me, clubs will have a competition that any player can choose which tee they wish to use, and lowest man wins, is that how it works ?

We play off all tees dependant on what is on that day but are split in to three sections, so regardless of what tees you're playing off, you are playing against those of similar handicap, so what does it matter what tees your playing, isn't that how it goes all over ?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not quite understanding this, so enlighten me, clubs will have a competition that any player can choose which tee they wish to use, and lowest man wins, is that how it works ?

We play off all tees dependant on what is on that day but are split in to three sections, so regardless of what tees you're playing off, you are playing against those of similar handicap, so what does it matter what tees your playing, isn't that how it goes all over ?
1. Yes (for choice comps - not all are choice)
2. That's what you do - we have no divisions and it's the low handicaps that were against the introduction when polled a couple of years ago.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Here's me thinking that's why we have handicaps.

But it isn't. And I don't think it is by a long shot.

Tashyboy is 56, I am elegible to play off the yellow tees. But either pride, playing with three other guys who are all over 55, one who is 60 in two weeks time. They all play off the white tees. Why? I am fed up of having this conversation with them. Have a guess who they give an advantage to every time they tee up on the white pegs. Yup the younger guys who are physically fitter, more agile and have the ability to smash it a lot further than most 55yr olds. So I would argue that Hcap is only part of the solution but also part of the the problem. Heres another point re hcap. Last week the twos was won by a guy who is a senior he plays off the yellows. He collected £172. Some folk are moaning coz they said they didn't know seniors were in the white pot twos, they thought it was a seperate comp. they have said next time the pot is so high they will have a round playing off yellows. So seniors once more when playing off whites are at a disadvantage of seniors playing off yellows.
Now ironically Tashyboy has played his first seniors comp today, a board comp off the yellows, betterball. I was Rammel but enjoyed it. It was refreshing and fun. The emphasis on fun. However, and here's another point. "Here's me thinking that's why we have handicaps". If hcaps is the perfect scenario, then why did we have 90% of hcap for the comp.
Me I think the idea is brilliant, and whatever the others think Tashyboy will soon be teeing off on the yellows and with that the chances of me getting me pecker out coz I have not hit it past the women's tees have greatly reduced.👍

User20204

Visit site
Sorry Tashy it's too ling for me to grasp all that, but I'm guessing you don't have handicap sections like Duncan's club, seems very strange you all play from the same tees yet don't have sections. For example, when comps are off our yellows there are lots of mid to high players in the 60s, which is fine as they are playing against their other h/caps, but off the whites, very few higher players are in the 60s, in fact, hardly ever at all, again, not that it matters as they are playing against their respective section.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Sorry Tashy it's too ling for me to grasp all that, but I'm guessing you don't have handicap sections like Duncan's club, seems very strange you all play from the same tees yet don't have sections. For example, when comps are off our yellows there are lots of mid to high players in the 60s, which is fine as they are playing against their other h/caps, but off the whites, very few higher players are in the 60s, in fact, hardly ever at all, again, not that it matters as they are playing against their respective section.

Am not to sure there will ever be a scenario where everyone is happy. But from what I read with the op it would work for me. 👍

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm almost 73 :eek:, a good drive for me is only 200/230 :ROFLMAO: but my carry is only around 160/170 on a good day.
I use to play a lot of senior opens [ 28 one year ] but it saddens me that some clubs insist in playing their Senior opens from the very back tees. They forget the age group is mostly over 60 .
I played an over 65 seniors a few years ago at Bonnyton GC , 1st hole white medal tee shot needed a 160/5 carry over water with no bail out area.
OK they had a drop zone, but its still a lost Topflite :p and 2 dropped shots on the 1st hole .
I watched 4 out of the 6 players in front of us put their drives in the water, then i did the same :mad:.
I sent them a stinker of an email telling them how stupid it was, I don't know if that tee is used any more , i hope not:ROFLMAO:.
There's another couple i won't name that require a carry of 160 over heavy ruff with no drop zone :cry:

User20204

Visit site
I'm very surprised to hear senior opens are played off the back, our seniors would have a fit if you asked them to play from the whites.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm very surprised to hear senior opens are played off the back, our seniors would have a fit if you asked them to play from the whites.
Surprise surprise, i can assure you lots of clubs still do regularly, luckily my club doesn't, i came 3rd in our seniors last week from the yellows:love: , BTW Bervie is easy from the whites :ROFLMAO::love:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had an email from the club and it will now be possible in roll up competitions to pick whether you play from the yellow or white tees. Personally I think that this is a great idea to make competitions more inclusive for those that struggle off the longer tees. Apparently the computers have an option to pick which tee you used and work out the score based on the appropriate SSS.

Nice to see the club being a bit forward thinking and offering a different option.

Rubbish...utter rubbish. Computers pish posh. You all play off the same colour tee.