Multi Tee Competitions

bunkerblaster

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Next question regarding the organisation of a mixed tee comp. If you were sending 3 player groups out would you have say one off the white tees and two off the yellows in the same 3 ball? The obvious risk for older golfers is them accidently playing off the wrong colour tee.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
We are toying with introducing multi tee competitions for our Vets Section despite having a short course. What are the thoughts of the forum especially if you have introduced the option. How many choose to use the forward tees?
It's absolute nonsense you are literally playing a different course from each other, and a total non-starter on courses where yellow tees would be a different par than the white. I have friends at Cruden Bay where they've been doing this for about 10 years now and they absolutely detest it, they have about five tees, so figuring out who the winner is is a nightmare, they just don;t bother anymore.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Next question regarding the organisation of a mixed tee comp. If you were sending 3 player groups out would you have say one off the white tees and two off the yellows in the same 3 ball? The obvious risk for older golfers is them accidently playing off the wrong colour tee.
How are you going to control that? Are your comps all drawn? If not that is impossible to manage, and yes playing off the wrong tees is a real issue, as is players posting there score in the computer and picking the wrong tees they've used

Rusty Bucket

Visit site
It's absolute nonsense you are literally playing a different course from each other, and a total non-starter on courses where yellow tees would be a different par than the white. I have friends at Cruden Bay where they've been doing this for about 10 years now and they absolutely detest it, they have about five tees, so figuring out who the winner is is a nightmare, they just don;t bother anymore.
Just looked at the Cruden Bay scorecard, pars appear to be the same for whites and yellows with those playing off the whites getting a couple of extra strokes. Not a lot of difference between the two in yardage either? Always difficult to make the Vets competitions all inclusive given the variables in age and ability. Golf can be a selfish game at times and as the competition secretary at my club I have pulled my hair out trying to keep everyone happy but it is impossible believe me.

Rusty Bucket

Visit site
How are you going to control that? Are your comps all drawn? If not that is impossible to manage, and yes playing off the wrong tees is a real issue, as is players posting there score in the computer and picking the wrong tees they've used
Totally agree with what you state despite my reply to your previous comment. Maybe all vets comps should be played off the yellows but we found it didn't help our handicaps when we play away matches as they don't travel that well. I am 73 and still prefer the white tees but some younger than me certainly struggle. Its a funny old game and don't get me going about WHS 🤣🤣

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Just looked at the Cruden Bay scorecard, pars appear to be the same for whites and yellows with those playing off the whites getting a couple of extra strokes. Not a lot of difference between the two in yardage either? Always difficult to make the Vets competitions all inclusive given the variables in age and ability. Golf can be a selfish game at times and as the competition secretary at my club I have pulled my hair out trying to keep everyone happy but it is impossible believe me.
They currently have four sets of mens tees, and are about to rate the reds for men too and change all the tee colours

1723313990063.png

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Sorry I thought that we were only talking about whites and yellows but using all the tee colours would be a bloody nightmare as you suggest.
Nope, Handicap Comvenor is sucking up to Scottish Golf in a number of ways and this full on any-tee-at-any-time is the latest directive that he follows with a tongue you-know-where

Rusty Bucket

Visit site
Nope, Handicap Comvenor is sucking up to Scottish Golf in a number of ways and this full on any-tee-at-any-time is the latest directive that he follows with a tongue you-know-where
Why are things so complicated but golf is burdened with the problem where even the rules aren't simple

wjemather

Visit site
It isn't a directive, or even a recommendation. It's an option, nothing more, and no-one is gaining anything from the authorities by implementing it.

It's for clubs to decide what suits them best and if they have players with a wide range of handicaps/ages/hitting distances, mixed tee competitions are probably something they should look into if they want to facilitate members being able to play from tees that are most suitable and provide the most enjoyment of the game - rather than forcing short-hitters to play courses that are too long for them - and don't want to run separate comps for each group.

And to clear up more misleading information from your earlier posts, the handicap system is designed to work for mixed tees even when the pars are different.

DickInShorts

Visit site
We’ve been trialling multi tee competitions this season - mens seniors and ladies have 6 competitions in which players can use red white or yellow tees. Par is 1 less off the reds for men than the ladies card.

Players select their tee when signing in on the Scottish Golf App. There is no issue with mixed groups - I have played off yellow whites and reds in the senior events.

In our first seniors only two of our 80 strong field played off the reds and none off the whites!
Scoring was through the app so no issues with working our winners as it utilises the correct CR and slope for any tee.

Only mistake I perceive we made was calling them Ability Tee competitions - that rather implies you have to be very good to play off the whites and pretty useless to play off the rReds (if your a male/Senior Gent)!!

Tain GC have been doing it for several years for all golf and don’t call them Mens or Ladies tees