Multi Tee Competitions

Rusty Bucket

Visit site
We are toying with introducing multi tee competitions for our Vets Section despite having a short course. What are the thoughts of the forum especially if you have introduced the option. How many choose to use the forward tees?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having talked to several short hitters where I play the old machoism comes out very strongly, not one of them wanted to play off the front tees (one of them is always complaining about how he cannot reach the fairway on several holes).

Rusty Bucket

Visit site
Having talked to several short hitters where I play the old machoism comes out very strongly, not one of them wanted to play off the front tees (one of them is always complaining about how he cannot reach the fairway on several holes).
Surely the one who can't reach the fairway should play off the forward tees if he is allowed to ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely the one who can't reach the fairway should play off the forward tees if he is allowed to ?
as already said it is the macho factor . The men do not want to play off the front (ladies) tees despite them being best suited to their game.
It is akin to admitting defeat in their eyes.

I am on the handicap committee one the guys still plays off 28 but would not countenance an increase in his handicap despite the fact I have enough proof of his need for it from swindle scores.

Before setting up a comp I would suggest you garner the info from your vets section as to whether or not they want it in the first place.

D-S

Visit site
We are toying with introducing multi tee competitions for our Vets Section despite having a short course. What are the thoughts of the forum especially if you have introduced the option. How many choose to use the forward tees?
I would schedule a few comps off the forward tees only, this will hopefully give some an introduction to more enjoyable golf and when they have to go back to their usual tees some might think twice.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
as already said it is the macho factor . The men do not want to play off the front (ladies) tees despite them being best suited to their game.

I am on the handicap committee one the guys still plays off 28 but would not countenance an increase in his handicap despite the fact I have enough proof of his need for it from swindle scores.

Before setting up a comp I would suggest you garner the info from your vets section as to whether or not they want it in the first place.
We are being re-rated next week including new ratings for the men off the reds and the ladies off the yellows (but not whites).

First thing I'm going to do is to test myself off the red tees!!!

Personally I think its a great idea especially in the winter, can see potentially the ladies not being happy about men playing off "their" tees but that is solvable by simply recolouring all the tees and banishing the stereotypical gender relationships with regards white/yellows/reds, to the bin.

The only issue is additional wear and tear on the forward tees...especially if they are quite small...but to be honest I wouldn't see the take up being huge simply for the reasons you state. but at least the option would be there.

I would schedule a few comps off the forward tees only, this will hopefully give some an introduction to more enjoyable golf and when they have to go back to their usual tees some might think twice.

This is a great idea. show them the water, make them drink....who knows, it might be tasty.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have the tees you would be using been rated for the (I assume) male Vets?

If you are proposing using (and rating) the women's tees, thing again. They are are often quite small areas and it the women may object to their ground being torn up by some old farts taking divots.

Last edited:

Rusty Bucket

Visit site
Have the tees you would be using been rated for the (I assume) male Vets?

If you are proposing using (and rating) the women's tees, thing again. They are are often quite small areas and it the women may object to their ground being torn up by some old farts taking divots.
All our tees are rated but we are only currently looking at the White and Yellow options so the handicap adjustment is in place. Wouldn't want upset the ladies.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would add was when this was discussed within our Seniors it was felt that too many players have trouble enough booking in for the comps /recording scores as it is, adding another complication of booking in for the correct tee was a step too far.

One of the noticeable things where I play is when there is a comp for seniors off the whites the entries drop off a lot.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would add was when this was discussed within our Seniors it was felt that too many players have trouble enough booking in for the comps /recording scores as it is, adding another complication of booking in for the correct tee was a step too far.

One of the noticeable things where I play is when there is a comp for seniors off the whites the entries drop off a lot.
Our whites are reserved for major club comps. The Seniors used to play comps off the blues (shorter) but now play off the yellows (shorter again). Blue to yellow has increased entries.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well at my place it depends upon whether or not your average 20.0 HIer fancies playing off 17 from the Red tees or off 22 from the Whites. Reds a good lot shorter obviously…but that’s 5 whole shots…🤔

Seniors comps are generally held off Yellows, with only 2 shots difference from Whites.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well at my place it depends upon whether or not your average 20.0 HIer fancies playing off 17 from the Red tees or off 22 from the Whites. Reds a good lot shorter obviously…but that’s 5 whole shots…🤔

Seniors comps are generally held off Yellows, with only 2 shots difference from Whites.
Are your reds rated for men and women? What are the ratings?

DickInShorts

Visit site
We got our tees rated for both genders and each section - mens, Senior men, and ladies - have six competitions a season as multi tee competitions as a ‘toe in the water’.

We have described them as Ability Tees - which to my mind gives the wrong impression.

In the first seniors one I played off the reds - and could see that I could score as well if not better than off the yellows or whites- along with just one other member.

In a perfect world we would change the tee marker colours to say green blue and black so the gender tag disappears - but that would mean all new tee posts and cards!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our whites are reserved for major club comps. The Seniors used to play comps off the blues (shorter) but now play off the yellows (shorter again). Blue to yellow has increased entries.
we only have 3 tees, still red yellow and white
The majority of the Seniors comps are played form the middle yellow tee with about 5 a year, including the Senior's Championship, are played from the longer white tee,

Virtually all club comps are played rom the white.

All members are free to choose which tee they want to play from in general/social play. Some swindles always play from the whites others always yellows.

Swango1980

Visit site

There were several Seniors at my club like this, when the limit increased and I (as handicap sec) was looking to increase 28.0 handicappers to a more appropriate level. It took a fair bit of back and forth with them, for me to finally convince them that their handicap needed to be higher.