PGA players championship cancelled

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The only surprise is that it didn't happen sooner I suppose..
That'll be everything shutdown now
EPL have an emergency meeting this morning and all footy will be off too...Chelsea and Arsenal all self isolating with confirmed cases
Cant see much getting going again before May/June at the earliest.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm starting to suspect that we Joe Public are not getting the full picture re Covid 19.

You’re not suggesting the government aren’t totally honest are you?! ???

Unreal all this is, very strange times indeed. Really hope our lot know what they’re doing by not going into some sort of lockdown.

Wolf

Visit site
Sensible decision taken, it's just a golf tournament and in the grand scheme of things simply not important. I'd be surprised if the Masters goes ahead at this rate, could well be the PGA or US Open are the first majors of the year this year.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think golf woke up and realised they were the only one left at the party and quickly got a taxi out of there.

The Masters has to be in serious doubt now.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
The Masters has to be in serious doubt now.

Agreed.The outbreak isn’t expected to peak in the UK for another 10-14 weeks, which takes us into June. Then there is a period where it is still active, but past the peak. It’s expected to be a significant problem until around August in the UK, and the USA is on roughly the same timeline.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Conspiracy theorists having a field day...

Its clear that the lock down in Italy isn't being observed, their society isn't like China. UK government hasn't gone full lock-down yet as it says it is better to hold it till really needed. Some boffins agree, some don't. (as with most things)

Sport is taking it's own decision to postpone. It's only sensible when you look at it like that. I am working from home today and next week as I can do everything on laptop and Skype/MS Teams for any joint working. No need to mix if you down have to.

I am reading most folk will get this and not be too bad, but at the other end of the scale it will be bad.... it will be made worse by panic

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That was in place already, but they’ve taken it further now, rightly so.
Not sure I quite agree with that. Why cancel the comp? If they were happy to play without spectators then you are looking at the only close contact being individual golfer and caddy. The chances are they will still be in close contact with each other tournament or not so that becomes irrelevant. Golf is not a contact sport, players and caddies, apart from each direct partnership, don't have to be next to each other.

The tournament can run without others being close enough to each other to pass on any virus should one person get it. They just have to adjust behaviour in order to avoid close contact, hand shakes etc but that is all.

I was listening to Cornelius Lysaght on the radio regarding the Grand National meeting. His view was that they could run the meeting without spectators if necessary. TV and gambling would justify running the meet, people would just watch it on the tv, internet etc. It gives people sport to watch still, the industry continues.

sunshine

Visit site
With a Japanese and a Korean at the top of the leaderboard, I bet the panic in the US was enough to force a cancellation.