Senior PGA Championship

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Can you imagine if you'd said to Richard Bland on May 12th 2021 just a little over 3 years ago, as he attempted to win his 1st European Tour event at the 478th attempt, that he was about to get that 1st win, and as a result that he'd be invited to play in a series that would contain some of the biggest names in the world of golf. That he'd be playing against multiple major winners and going toe to toe with them, holding his own, travelling the world. That he'd be invited to play in a Senior Major, and go on and win it.....

It's an incredible story..

So pleased for Blandy, and it clearly meant so much to him given his brothers ongoing battle with Cancer.

A really enjoyable win in what was otherwise a very sad weekend for golf.

Last edited:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Can you imagine if you'd said to Richard Bland on May 12th 2021 just a little over 3 years ago, as he attempted to win his 1st European Tour event at the 478th attempt, that he was about to get that 1st win, and as a result that he'd be invited to play in a series that would contain some of the biggest names in the world of golf. That he'd be playing against multiple major winners and going toe to toe with them, holding his own, travelling the world. That he'd be invited to play in a Senior Major, and go on and win it.....

It's an incredible story..

So pleased for Blandy, and it clearly meant so much to him given his brothers ongoing battle with Cancer.

A really enjoyable win in what was otherwise a very sad weekend for golf.

Even more so if you’d told him whilst playing in a clutch tour event that he didn’t even win.

Massive credit to him for what he has done in the latter stages of his career.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Even more so if you’d told him whilst playing in a clutch tour event that he didn’t even win.

Massive credit to him for what he has done in the latter stages of his career.

He spent a long time battling away and did very well towards the last year on the DP tour . Don’t think anyone was surprised that he went to LIV but I wonder if he will now move to the Champions Tour and do well there

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
He spent a long time battling away and did very well towards the last year on the DP tour . Don’t think anyone was surprised that he went to LIV but I wonder if he will now move to the Champions Tour and do well there
He doesn't have that choice. The PGAT have stated that Bland is not eligible to join the Champions' Tour, even though winning the Senior PGA normally gives you an exemption. I doubt Blandy is too bothered.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
He doesn't have that choice. The PGAT have stated that Bland is not eligible to join the Champions' Tour, even though winning the Senior PGA normally gives you an exemption. I doubt Blandy is too bothered.

He woold be eligible if he left LIV and became a member of the Champions Tour

Could be winning multiple Senior Majors

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Because he could be winning tournaments and senior majors as opposed to be part of also runs on LIV 🤷‍♂️
I'm sure he'll sit down and weight up the pros and cons.
On one hand, a guaranteed fortune for someone in the twilight of their career.
On the other hand, the possibility of winning some tournaments, that won't pay him as much even if he wins.
No idea which way he'll go...

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I'm sure he'll sit down and weight up the pros and cons.
On one hand, a guaranteed fortune for someone in the twilight of their career.
On the other hand, the possibility of winning some tournaments, that won't pay him as much even if he wins.
No idea which way he'll go...

If the sole aim is to be 20th and below but get a lot of money for it

Or win senior majors and get half a million and get kudos and money

So is the senior major not much of a win then for a player ?

Last edited:

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
If the sole aim is to be 20th and below but get a lot of money for it

Or win senior majors and get half a million and get kudos and money
Without looking it up, could you tell me the holders of the five senior majors? Then we can talk about the current exchange rate between "kudos" and £.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Without looking it up, could you tell me the holders of the five senior majors? Then we can talk about the current exchange rate between "kudos" and £.

Stricker won 3 last year and Langer one , not sure about the other , think it was the guy from New Zealand ?

Right now if you look at social media there is a lot of posts from Liv fans about how much of a big win it was for Bland ?

So is there no kudos for winning a Senior Major 🤷‍♂️

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Stricker won 3 last year and Langer one , not sure about the other , think it was the guy from New Zealand ?

Right now if you look at social media there is a lot of posts from Liv fans about how much of a big win it was for Bland ?

So is there no kudos for winning a Senior Major 🤷‍♂️
Stricker holds one, and no Kiwi has won since 2022. You claim there's kudos but can only name two of the five holders (one of whom is Bland!). You think Richard Bland should give up the goose that has laid the golden egg to go and play these tournaments instead? Even though you don't care about them yourself.

Just to save everyone looking it up, the other three are held by Langer, Cejka and Doug Barron (no, me neither).

BTW I'm honestly not interested in what LIV fans say on social media - if you're using something like that to support your point, it's game over.

wjemather

Visit site
There are only 3 senior majors that really matter, and the PGA Tour don't control any of them.
The idea that anyone would resign from LIV in the hope of playing for comparative peanuts on the Champions Tour in order to gain access to the other 2 (that most fans probably can't even name without looking them up) is preposterous.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Stricker holds one, and no Kiwi has won since 2022. You claim there's kudos but can only name two of the five holders (one of whom is Bland!). You think Richard Bland should give up the goose that has laid the golden egg to go and play these tournaments instead? Even though you don't care about them yourself.

Just to save everyone looking it up, the other three are held by Langer, Cejka and Doug Barron (no, me neither).

BTW I'm honestly not interested in what LIV fans say on social media - if you're using something like that to support your point, it's game over.

So Stricker did win 3 last year and Langer one as I said

Bland has got a lot of money from being mid table over the last 3 years , he has done well financially despite not challenging

I haven’t claimed anything - this is a dedicated thread to a seniors majors on a golf forum mainly because Bland was doing well so clearly someone thought that winning the event had a lot of meaning

So it’s a bit of a confusing message where it appears that winning the event for Bland is a big thing for some - so why wouldn’t he want to look to win more over the next couple of years to enhance his CV - a lot of made of Langer winning double figure senior majors

Bland has earned a lot of money so doesn’t have to worry financially anymore so why would it be such a horrific idea that he would want to look to finish his career with a few more wins under his belt as opposed a few more millions

As you say - he is playing the best golf of his life - what will show that , more money in the bank from coming 20th or some more major wins to his name on the champions tour

Fore Right

Visit site
An agreement to bring pro golf back together has to happen at some point that will allow all the best players to compete against each other again.
If that happens then Champions Tour events would open up for Blandy.

He has been very honest in many interviews and podcasts that he realises at 51 he doesn't have many years left playing top level golf and wants to maximise his earning potential.
Before joining Liv he had a mortgage.

By the time his Liv contract finishes he will be set up for life.
Tim Barter told Eddie Pepperal via The Chipping Forecast podcast that Richard Bland earns on average $330,000 per Liv Event.

The purse in a Liv event is $25,000,000 in a field of 54 players
The purse in a regular champions tour event is 2,000,000
The Purse in a Champions tour major is $3,500,000 in a field of 170 players

Cant blame the guy for making as much as possible before he retires from professional golf.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
An agreement to bring pro golf back together has to happen at some point that will allow all the best players to compete against each other again.
If that happens then Champions Tour events would open up for Blandy.

He has been very honest in many interviews and podcasts that he realises at 51 he doesn't have many years left playing top level golf and wants to maximise his earning potential.
Before joining Liv he had a mortgage.

By the time his Liv contract finishes he will be set up for life.
Tim Barter told Eddie Pepperal via The Chipping Forecast podcast that Richard Bland earns on average $330,000 per Liv Event.

The purse in a Liv event is $25,000,000 in a field of 54 players
The purse in a regular champions tour event is 2,000,000
The Purse in a Champions tour major is $3,500,000 in a field of 170 players

Cant blame the guy for making as much as possible before he retires from professional golf.

I don’t think anyone would blame Bland for moving to LIV

It was perfect for him - he spent decades battling to win and keep his tour card

To be offered a spot on a tour where he knows that he is going to make millions just by being part of the pack is perfect for him - doesn’t need to battle to keep his tour card

He has made a lot of money from LIV now

Maybe he is at a crossroads now - he has earned the money , does he now go to look to get more wins on the CV