Stadium Holes

• Thread starter Deleted member 21445
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

But what If I want to do both? The PGA tour and LIV tour both seem to be in my boat more than yours if they're adding holes like this to more events in their calendar?

Id suggest 7% isn't enough for it to be an issue in the grand scheme of things. 7% wouldn't get anything achieved by member vote at most clubs - as 86% voted in favour and a further 7% were neither for or against.

Why would someone want to have a night club party and watch a game of golf ?

Couldn’t think of anything worse at a golf event - I’m there to watch a sport event , if I want to go somewhere to listen to music , dance have some drinks then I’ll go to a concert or a night club.

Have been to a Ryder Cup where it’s a great atmosphere, no need to loud music and beer being thrown everywhere , same at a major.

You can have stands round a hole and they do at other events but they manage to do it without the drunken idiot behaviour

It’s trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator- trying to get people into an event that aren’t interested in golf but want to have a good party

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not young, but probably on the young side for the forum and golf spectator in general at 36

I absolutely abhor this kind of thing

I have not given up drinking but definitely cut back a hell of a lot, the idea that I cannot have fun at a sporting event without drinking of even excessive drinking is ridiculous. You cannot be sober at these kinds of thing either, being sober and surrounded by drunk obnoxious [expletive]s jumping around chucking drink everywhere is my idea of hell.

Whether it is golf, rugby, badminton, or even football if I am there in person, it is because I want to see elite athletes playing the sport at such a high level, or if it is my team then I will be supporting them.

Why do we associate drinking so closely with fun.
This for me too. Hate the Americanisation of sports by doing this.
Same for when England play in the World Cup and score a goal and pints are thrown about rooms etc.

Absolutely no need for it.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I could go to a stadium hole and watch the golf and enjoy the atmosphere without getting covered in beer, barged continually by drunk idiots jumping around and falling over and listening to loud obnoxious points of view I would happily embrace it. Unfortunately, some people seem to think that their 'enjoyment' is fun and everyone should join in with their antics.. Maybe they should have one side of the stadium hole with no booze and keep the idiots in their own section.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Why would someone want to have a night club party and watch a game of golf ?

Couldn’t think of anything worse at a golf event - I’m there to watch a sport event , if I want to go somewhere to listen to music , dance have some drinks then I’ll go to a concert or a night club.

Have been to a Ryder Cup where it’s a great atmosphere, no need to loud music and beer being thrown everywhere , same at a major.

You can have stands round a hole and they do at other events but they manage to do it without the drunken idiot behaviour

It’s trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator- trying to get people into an event that aren’t interested in golf but want to have a good party

Because everyone's different Phil!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't actually be getting drunk either - its not my jam! But id have a couple beers and have a great day spectating at a stadium hole!
If I am going to a golf tournament the chances are I am having to drive to get there, so no alcoholic drinks at all. It doesn't mean I can't enjoy a louder and more lively atmosphere at one location on the course. People are fixating on drink being the be all and end all of these holes, it isn't.

D

Deleted member 15344

Because everyone's different Phil!
That doesn’t mean things should be put in place to satisfy those

People going to these events are looking for the party not for the golf - that’s not enhancing or improving the sport

If I am going to a golf tournament the chances are I am having to drive to get there, so no alcoholic drinks at all. It doesn't mean I can't enjoy a louder and more lively atmosphere at one location on the course. People are fixating on drink being the be all and end all of these holes, it isn't.

The stadiums holes at these events are there to encourage the “laddish” behaviour , it’s all about the drinking in these stands and behaviour outside what you would normally at the sporting event.

Bringing in loud music and a drinking culture adds what to the sport ?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This for me too. Hate the Americanisation of sports by doing this.
Same for when England play in the World Cup and score a goal and pints are thrown about rooms etc.

Absolutely no need for it.

Yeah, but, but, but, but, they might sow it in the tele! Or Social Meeja!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would say a happy medium needs to be found. Nothing wrong with having a grandstand around a particular hole, particularly a par 3 for holes-in-oneses and such, but I'd draw the line at people chucking beer cups and cans all over the green. If they can keep it policed without that happening then all power to them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The stadiums holes at these events are there to encourage the “laddish” behaviour , it’s all about the drinking in these stands and behaviour outside what you would normally at the sporting event.

People, money, fun. It's the same for Ladies Day at any major race course, the Saturday of a Test match (fancy dress day), they bring people in that would not otherwise go to these events. It's professional sport, they need spectators and they need them to spend.

It is possible not to drink alcohol, it is also possible to drink and behave. Things don't always have to stay as they are or were.

D

Deleted member 15344

People, money, fun. It's the same for Ladies Day at any major race course, the Saturday of a Test match (fancy dress day), they bring people in that would not otherwise go to these events. It's professional sport, they need spectators and they need them to spend.

It is possible not to drink alcohol, it is also possible to drink and behave. Things don't always have to stay as they are or were.

So sports where background noise has always been there ?

Sports were it’s not essential for crowds to be quiet and respectful as the players are playing .

And events likes ladies days at racing has been pilloried recently due to the level of drinking and the behaviour

Why is there always this desire to be like other sports ?

If it’s just about getting numbers through the gates to give someone more money it’s not really enhancing the sport is it

Many golf events have stands around holes. Including having them around par threes to surround them - but they can manage it without the laddish loud music and behaviour

There is an issue with the laddish behaviour in society , it’s a stain for many and the last thing we need to do is provide a platform to encourage it within the sport. It wouldn’t take long before people start to think it’s the normal within the sport

The Ryder Cup does it well 99% of the time

How long before it takes for people to cross the line as we see in other sports

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

The events you mention may bring in more people but these events don't always pass without any trouble. Unfortunately the minority always seem to spoil things and some of these event seem to 'encourage' the minority and they are growing in number and these people then put off the real fans of the events.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
That doesn’t mean things should be put in place to satisfy those

People going to these events are looking for the party not for the golf - that’s not enhancing or improving the sport

Things change over time. Golf cannot remain the same forever or it will risk losing potential fans to other sports. Yanks absolutely love a drink, they drink on course, play music in their buggies etc. This plays right to that audience.

Your opinion is absolutely valid and I'm sure shared by loads of golf fans, but quite clearly plenty want this additional element too and I'm not sure why you cant accept that people have a different view of how golf moves forward?

The PGA tour adding a second event with a stadium hole suggests it is going that way whether you like it or not.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The events you mention may bring in more people but these events don't always pass without any trouble. Unfortunately the minority always seem to spoil things and some of these event seem to 'encourage' the minority and they are growing in number and these people then put off the real fans of the events.

Sorry but "real fans" can come in many different forms. Traditional fans are but 1 of these.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Things change over time. Golf cannot remain the same forever or it will risk losing potential fans to other sports. Yanks absolutely love a drink, they drink on course, play music in their buggies etc. This plays right to that audience.

Your opinion is absolutely valid and I'm sure shared by loads of golf fans, but quite clearly plenty want this additional element too and I'm not sure why you cant accept that people have a different view of how golf moves forward?

The PGA tour adding a second event with a stadium hole suggests it is going that way whether you like it or not.
Crikey, if we are using the Yanks as the benchmark for the way forward in life we are in more trouble than I thought!!!! :eek:

D

Deleted member 15344

So you highlight the type of behaviour that gives the US a bad name on a golf course and then think it’s something that’s good for the sport

Using that behaviour as a benchmark and we are in trouble and expanding that behaviour won’t help the sport , if anything will ruin the sport.

It’s not the audience that any sport should play up too - the sport doesn’t need that to survive - if it does then it’s in big trouble

when an event comes to the UK tickets fly out the door - no need to encourage the lad behaviour to get people to buy tickets

If an event needs to highlight that behaviour to bring people in then the problem is deeper than that.

We were supposed to as a society try to tackle the increase in lad behaviour to reduce the level of binge drinking etc and you think golf should do the opposite?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Crikey, if we are using the Yanks as the benchmark for the way forward in life we are in more trouble than I thought!!!! :eek:

So you highlight the type of behaviour that gives the US a bad name on a golf course and then think it’s something that’s good for the sport

Using that behaviour as a benchmark and we are in trouble and expanding that behaviour won’t help the sport , if anything will ruin the sport.

It’s not the audience that any sport should play up too - the sport doesn’t need that to survive - if it does then it’s in big trouble

when an event comes to the UK tickets fly out the door - no need to encourage the lad behaviour to get people to buy tickets

If an event needs to highlight that behaviour to bring people in then the problem is deeper than that.

We were supposed to as a society try to tackle the increase in lad behaviour to reduce the level of binge drinking etc and you think golf should do the opposite?

But most of the top golfing events are in the states and not the UK? That's why I make that point? They are catering to what their fans seem to want?

The videos of the waste management queue when they literally sprint to the 16th for the best seats are there for all to see.

The PGA tour clearly see the demand for these type of holes, otherwise they would just keep it at the waste management only.

I don't want every event to have one, not by any stretch of the imagination - but they'll have their place going forward I have no doubt!

D

Deleted member 21445

I think people do exist who are happy to watch golf, enjoy a good few beers, music in Liv's case and a rowdy atmosphere.

I think its wrong to think that everyone in the stands at these holes are not interested in golf and just there for the beer although some of those peeps are defo there.