Stadium Holes

• Thread starter Deleted member 21445
  • Start date

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Normally I would agree with this sort of sentiment - but I'm not sure if this moves the needle too far in the opposite direction. It's more American amateur culture to get wasted on the golf course, when you've got pro players taking their shirts off (as two did last year who got fined I believe) and people throwing beer cups at them, that's not quite my vision of what golf is about.

That settles it! This man is our barometer of young and liberal! :ROFLMAO:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Normally I would agree with this sort of sentiment - but I'm not sure if this moves the needle too far in the opposite direction. It's more American amateur culture to get wasted on the golf course, when you've got pro players taking their shirts off (as two did last year who got fined I believe) and people throwing beer cups at them, that's not quite my vision of what golf is about.

You boring old fart, no wonder the young are put off from playing golf with that sort of attitude.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t know everyone’s ages here and I’m sure I’m generalising somewhat - but I’m getting the feeling younger fans like the stadium holes much more than the older fans.

I’d hazard a guess we will see more and more of them in the coming years.

The question is what do the younger guys like about the Stadium holes and what do they think it adds to the sport

Is it the ability to get smashed and cheer whatever they want , throw empty bottles and glasses etc onto the course

The Ryder Cup has crowds that are loud and enjoy themselves even majors have loud stands but what’s appealing to young people about the way people act within a stadium hole

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The question is what do the younger guys like about the Stadium holes and what do they think it adds to the sport

Is it the ability to get smashed and cheer whatever they want , throw empty bottles and glasses etc onto the course

The Ryder Cup has crowds that are loud and enjoy themselves even majors have loud stands but what’s appealing to young people about the way people act within a stadium hole

Its crazy right but its this little thing called fun.

Not seen many clips of people throwing bottles for nothing - usually a HIO. And tbf that's the one element I don't agree with because it delays play clearing the area etc - but the party element looks a great laugh.

What's appealing to sports fans in general about drinking at sports? I know we cant in the stands at top level football in this country but they go pretty much hand in hand at every other sport.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Seems to have been quite a bit of damage to the Stadium hole at Grange.....Beer and grass probably don't mix too well..

D

Deleted member 15344

Its crazy right but its this little thing called fun.

Not seen many clips of people throwing bottles for nothing - usually a HIO. And tbf that's the one element I don't agree with because it delays play clearing the area etc - but the party element looks a great laugh.

What's appealing to sports fans in general about drinking at sports? I know we cant in the stands at top level football in this country but they go pretty much hand in hand at every other sport.

Sorry but which bit is the fun ?

So it’s just a party then as opposed to people spectating at a sport - are people there to have a party or watch golf

And yes people drink at sports events away from the action where any behaviour affected by the alcohol doesn’t have any detrimental affect on the sport.

Seems that the hole at Grange has been damaged

IMG_6377.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

So it’s just a party then as opposed to people spectating at a sport - are people there to have a party or watch golf

And yes people drink at sports events away from the action where any behaviour affected by the alcohol doesn’t have any detrimental affect on the sport.

View attachment 47695

The having a few beers and cheering loudly when someone plays a great shot. The music going in the background. The limbs when someone makes a HIO.

You know when someone hits a 6 in T20 and everyone goes wild? That. But golf.

There's ways to modernise golf and this is one of them, a gentle clap and "good shot chum" is very 1923 not 2023.

You're point about the beers being thrown, I've already said I don't like that bit so I'm not arguing against it.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

View attachment 47695

Also you've linked an article which is about damage that's behind a pay wall.

And the damage in concern isn't due to beers - its ground damage :ROFLMAO:

Also - 7% of the members are unhappy, so take your clickbait articles away and find something better. And to top it off have a look at an actual member response on twitter. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• snip.PNG
    snip.PNG
    411.8 KB · Views: 10

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
C’mon, when Chase Koepka hit that ace in Adelaide it was a great spectacle watching not only the fans, but the players celebrating - who obviously love it - remember these guys are young men, not ageing fuddy duddy’s, all of them seemed to be thriving on getting their music of choice played when they teed it up, as well as gee-ing the crowd up. It doesn’t belong at every tournament but it’s something I love to see at certain events.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
A golf course getting damaged from hosting a tournament isn’t news, if it was, there’d be an article about it every week.

Keep clutching at those anti-LIV straws folks…

D

Deleted member 15344

The having a few beers and cheering loudly when someone plays a great shot. The music going in the background. The limbs when someone makes a HIO.

You know when someone hits a 6 in T20 and everyone goes wild? That. But golf.

There's ways to modernise golf and this is one of them, a gentle clap and "good shot chum" is very 1923 not 2023.

You're point about the beers being thrown, I've already said I don't like that bit so I'm not arguing against it.

So you can just go to party then ? If that’s what you want , it’s basically to get drunk isn’t it.

People at normal events cheer when there is a hole in one - crowds in stands at many holes in Ryder Cup and Majors etc

They are just a bit more respectful, no music ( it’s a golf event not a party or concert ) and respectful when the player is trying to concentrate on their shot.

Also you've linked an article which is about damage that's behind a pay wall.

And the damage in concern isn't due to beers - its ground damage :ROFLMAO:

Also - 7% of the members are unhappy, so take your clickbait articles away and find something better. And to top it off have a look at an actual member response on twitter. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
This isn’t behind a paywall ?

Does it matter if it’s a small level that are unhappy ?

A golf course getting damaged from hosting a tournament isn’t news, if it was, there’d be an article about it every week.

Keep clutching at those anti-LIV straws folks…

The same opinion has been directed at Pheonix when people act like idiots they’re at a stadium hole.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
So you can just go to party then ? If that’s what you want , it’s basically to get drunk isn’t it.

People at normal events cheer when there is a hole in one - crowds in stands at many holes in Ryder Cup and Majors etc

They are just a bit more respectful, no music ( it’s a golf event not a party or concert ) and respectful when the player is trying to concentrate on their shot.

This isn’t behind a paywall ?

Does it matter if it’s a small level that are unhappy ?

The same opinion has been directed at Pheonix when people act like idiots they’re at a stadium hole.

But what If I want to do both? The PGA tour and LIV tour both seem to be in my boat more than yours if they're adding holes like this to more events in their calendar?

Id suggest 7% isn't enough for it to be an issue in the grand scheme of things. 7% wouldn't get anything achieved by member vote at most clubs - as 86% voted in favour and a further 7% were neither for or against.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not young, but probably on the young side for the forum and golf spectator in general at 36

I absolutely abhor this kind of thing

I have not given up drinking but definitely cut back a hell of a lot, the idea that I cannot have fun at a sporting event without drinking of even excessive drinking is ridiculous. You cannot be sober at these kinds of thing either, being sober and surrounded by drunk obnoxious [expletive]s jumping around chucking drink everywhere is my idea of hell.

Whether it is golf, rugby, badminton, or even football if I am there in person, it is because I want to see elite athletes playing the sport at such a high level, or if it is my team then I will be supporting them.

Why do we associate drinking so closely with fun.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stadium holes are fun. Most pro tournaments I've been to in the UK, British Masters, Scottish Open require walking on eggshells for most of the time. I do it, fine, but the idea where you can have one hole of louder fun is a blast. The fact that other tournaments are looking at them suggests that people want them, tournament managers see the plus points of them.

I doubt they are going to come to every tournament so those who want golf viewed in a library will still get their wish for most of the year.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'm not young, but probably on the young side for the forum and golf spectator in general at 36

I absolutely abhor this kind of thing

I have not given up drinking but definitely cut back a hell of a lot, the idea that I cannot have fun at a sporting event without drinking of even excessive drinking is ridiculous. You cannot be sober at these kinds of thing either, being sober and surrounded by drunk obnoxious [expletive]s jumping around chucking drink everywhere is my idea of hell.

Whether it is golf, rugby, badminton, or even football if I am there in person, it is because I want to see elite athletes playing the sport at such a high level, or if it is my team then I will be supporting them.

Why do we associate drinking so closely with fun.

I wouldn't actually be getting drunk either - its not my jam! But id have a couple beers and have a great day spectating at a stadium hole!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Also - it may not be a massive addition in the grand scheme - but surely these holes generate far more money for the venues or hosts?

Waste management has 200,000 per day but 20k alone on the stadium hole. With corporate packages and hospitality thrown in for big spenders I'm sure its something of a money spinner!