Stadium Holes

• Thread starter Deleted member 21445
  • Start date

evemccc

Visit site
Crikey, if we are using the Yanks as the benchmark for the way forward in life we are in more trouble than I thought!!!! :eek:

👍🏻
The ubiquitous shouts of ‘get in the hole’, ‘mashed potato’, “light the candle’ BS — Now, is it likely that those sorts of obnoxious shouts are going to increase or decrease with the Americanisation of golf spectating culture, with boozed-up stadium holes?🤪

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
👍🏻
The ubiquitous shouts of ‘get in the hole’, ‘mashed potato’, “light the candle’ BS — Now, is it likely that those sorts of obnoxious shouts are going to increase or decrease with the Americanisation of golf spectating culture, with boozed-up stadium holes?🤪
I wasn’t just referring to golf 🫣

D

Deleted member 31467

I wonder if this loutish behaviour will catch on at the Crucible for the snooker world championships or Wimbledon 🤔

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its crazy right but its this little thing called fun.

Not seen many clips of people throwing bottles for nothing - usually a HIO. And tbf that's the one element I don't agree with because it delays play clearing the area etc - but the party element looks a great laugh.

What's appealing to sports fans in general about drinking at sports? I know we cant in the stands at top level football in this country but they go pretty much hand in hand at every other sport.
This is golf .
Its not supposed to be fun! ;)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I quite enjoyed it as a novelty in Phoenix but I do think it detracts from the "elite sport" aspect of a tournament. I guess as we trend towards only four proper men's tournaments amongst various lesser "events" those events are liable to increasingly try gimmicks like this.

Think you're on to something here.

Its pretty clear the top talents on the PGA Tour are prioritising the 12 elevated events and majors (plus end of season events) - so what can help draw fans to the other events when less big names will appear?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wonder if they would have one at a Ladies major, or LPGA event.
I very much dought it.
The behaviour of fans at the Waste Management is to ott imo.