Perks of a membership?

eddie_1878

Visit site
Can someone tell me what a ‘COLT’ membership is? It’s much cheaper than a full membership but I have no idea what the difference is!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing on that explains what ‘colt’ means. If it’s a different way of saying ‘concession’ then I’ve never seen it!

I wanted to be sure it wasn’t a reduced services package.
As far as I know just from what older members told me.
It was a sliding scale of charges that went up to 27 yrs of age.
You could not play for the scratch team until 28 yrs of age.
It was based on the education system so schooling was taken into consideration.
Up to the age they would be earning full wages.
Sounds strange these days but 100 yrs ago would make more sense.
Colt is just a nickname meaning not old enough to be a full member.
Might be BS but made sense.

D

Deleted member 15344

A lot of clubs in the past 10 years have introduced reduced memberships for rbe under 40/30’s

Some club call them Colts , we call them Intermediates

Some county’s have colt teams which are either under 23/25

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Sorry, just caught this. Obviously you have your experiences and preferences, I'd just comment as below.

1. If you want to play in decent weather you get about 7 months maximum, for 5 months the weather is wet, cold and awful, so make sure you get your games in the decent months to get your value.
I play all year round, in any weather, so I get the 12 months membership.
2. Have to play with other members if any of your mates can't play, from previous experience, you can get some right knobs.
Perhaps some can be but, in my opinion, the vast majority are great people who you can get to know more and add them as another friend/acquaintance at the club.
3. Have to put up with fuddy duddy bossy types who like telling you what you can and can't do, can be like being at school.
I guess that depends on the course but I very rarely, if ever, find that at our course.
4. Feel obliged to play the same course every time you play to get your moneys worth
I can't argue with that but I like my course so that isn't an issue. Of course, you can play other courses as well. Being a member of one course doesn't preclude you from playing other courses.

Not for me ta, pay and play all day long.
And remember, if it wasn't for the members paying to keep these course open, you wouldn't have anywhere to pay and play.

Last edited: