Pencils - How do you mark your card?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just cos its Friday:

Are complimentary pencils for marking your scorecard available at your club? (I’d add a poll but that’s no fun)

If so are they ‘Ikea’ style with no eraser or fully loaded to allow you to... ahem ‘correct’ your score?
Are they branded under the club name?
Are they traditional wooden or the new plastic weatherproof ones?
How many have you got in your golf bag?
What do you look for in a pencil?

If no free pencils available just what are the committee spending your subs on and what do you use instead and where did you get it?

If there are any 'golf club scorecard pencil collectors' reading this thread then kindly refrain from commenting :D

Edit to add: If you wish to talk about miniature 'bookmaker' style pens... please start your own thread topic

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Hmmmm, we don't get free pencils.

I'm going to write to the committee and ask then to explain just what the hell we get for £1500 a year!

:sbox:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
No freebies at ours either. Just on sale at the Pro Shop for 10p a pop I think - but not sure as can't remember every buying one.

Work give away pencils to customers so every so often I grab a small handful and cut each into 3 golf-sized - et voilà! Job done.

The other method is to 'borrow' one from a PP and conveniently forget to return it:whoo:

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Hmmmm, we don't get free pencils.

I'm going to write to the committee and ask then to explain just what the hell we get for £1500 a year!

:sbox:

Agree. As its currently in the 2nd top 100 it does beg the question where would your club rank in the GM top 100 courses if they corrected this glaring omission!

Mike how much weight & importance does complimentary pencils carry in your course assessments?

Edit to add:

Aha!

GM Top 100 Course Criteria
Facilities (10 marks)

Away from the golf, we look at the clubhouse and its facilities; the changing rooms, decor, the views from inside and out. Is the catering good and does it offer something for different tastes and different times of the day?

Does the club’s website provide useful information, what are the practice facilities like, and is there anything the visiting golfer would expect that is missing?

D4S its clearly having an impact & needs sorting!

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
At Batchworth Park we get free unbranded pencils with no erasers. At my former club you had to buy them @ £0.10 each. I carry an eraser in my bag to cope with the occasional error by myself or my fellow competitors. The most common mistake is starting on the 10th hole but marking the score on the 1st on the card. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted Member 1156

You guys that get free pencils.......do you just grab one out the box or get fitted for it?

Which is best, round or hexagonal? With or without eraser?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
At Batchworth Park we get free unbranded pencils with no erasers. At my former club you had to buy them @ £0.10 each. I carry an eraser in my bag to cope with the occasional error by myself or my fellow competitors. The most common mistake is starting on the 10th hole but marking the score on the 1st on the card. :rolleyes:

Del I've looked at the website and course facilities etc and I cant find any mention of these free pencils!

Are they just for members or can visitors benefit too?

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You guys that get free pencils.......do you just grab one out the box or get fitted for it?

I've been fitted for the latest 5H graphite core pencil and I haven't looked back. The HB versions at the club just don't offer me the performance I need for scoring consistently on a hole by hole basis.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site

Like you, Gordon, I can only dream of free pencils - but extensive research has shown me that hexagonal 2HB, moderately sharp, preferably blue, with pink eraser and a length between 2.5 and 3 inches produce best results.

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Del I've looked at the website and course facilities etc and I cant find any mention of these free pencils!

Are they just for members or can visitors benefit too?
Anybody who takes a scorecard can have one free pencil. By the way, we don't have visitors, only guests of members. :)

Last edited:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think pencil fitting is a real necessity, quite often I pick up a pencil and it wont fit in the slot on my cardholder, also what is the optimum lead type, HB, H or B, pencils breaking is a real problem and often my round is spoilt by an having a poor pencil.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the colour coding system similar to Ping's is excellent for choosing the right pencil specs.

Colouring-pencils-012.jpg

Just based on a static fit I usually end up with blue even though I have small hands.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Anybody who takes a scorecard can have one pencil.

Thanks for coming back

I called the pro-shop (option 1) but after talking to the chap for 5 minutes about this the line went quiet & my emails to them are coming back undelivered so your info is much appreciated ;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

What about fine tipped permanent markers instead? Or are they just for Cat 1's that don't make as many mistakes as we do? :mmm: