How often do you hit (& stay on) the green...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
...from the fairway when you're beyond your 6 iron distance? (Just following from the 3-putt thread)

So we're not talking about par 3's. How many times a round do you usually find and stay on the green with your longer clubs from the fairway?

Probably the weakest area of my game and I'll (too) often lay up to 'chip on' rather than go for it with a longer club, so I'd say I'd be lucky if I did it once or twice a round

You?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you talking about getting some sort of spin on longer irons?

Equally, are you just talking about hitting it straight with longer clubs?

I'm not sure what you are looking for

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got no idea? There's no stat for that. I can tell that on my home course this year I've averaged around 30% of greens in regulation.

In summer there's only about four par 4s where I'd even have to hit a long club to hit the green anyway. So I'd guess the number isn't super high. Maybe one out of those four per round I might hit the green? I wouldn't say I ever really 'lay up' if I can reach it though. I prefer to go for it and try and get as near as possible. No water holes to worry about though. So if I miss it's just a bit short, or a bit right of it usually. Occasionally left.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Are you talking about getting some sort of spin on longer irons?

Equally, are you just talking about hitting it straight with longer clubs?

I'm not sure what you are looking for

Oops if its not clear maybe I shouldn't have written this topic before I had my 5th coffee :sneaky: It was supposed to be much like the 'how often do you 3-putt' thread.

It was to see how often you hit and hold a green from distance (excluding tee'd up shots)
But instead of saying how often do you hit the green from say 150+yrds out etc (because that's a wedge for some and 7W for others) I chose using a club longer than a 6iron

Does that make more sense?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oops if its not clear maybe I shouldn't have written this topic before I had my 5th coffee :sneaky: It was supposed to be much like the 'how often do you 3-putt' thread.

It was to see how often you hit and hold a green from distance (excluding tee'd up shots)
But instead of saying how often do you hit the green from say 150+yrds out etc (because that's a wedge for some and 7W for others) I chose using a club longer than a 6iron

Does that make more sense?

Not enough based on being an 11 capper. It simply has to improve.

RichA

Visit site
Our course is long, the greens aren't receptive and the ground is rock hard in summer and verging on muddy in winter. Even the better players are generally looking to land 10-20 yards short and hope that the ball rolls onto the green if further than 150 yards out.
If I have a couple of birdie putts in a round it's been a good day.

Albo

Visit site
Hard really to say as it’s not that often I’m in the position, generally speaking on my home course, there are 3 holes where this may be the case (6 if you include par 3’s and I’m not sure why you didn’t).
Of those 3 holes one is a par 5 so it’s going for it in 2 and usually with a wood, one a long long par 4 again usually a wood and the last a longish 4 where sometimes if you catch a slope you can be at 8i or not at 5i or 5w.
I rarely hit any of these 3 in all honesty, perhaps 1 per 2 rounds on average.