Pencils - How do you mark your card?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Nah - would be a complete and unnecessary waste of club members money supplying us with free pencils. In cost-conscious days it is important to mind the pennies - they all add up. We still get a members diary if we want one (they are no longer sent out to all members - we pick one up if we want one). It is certainly a nice to have but it's a bit of an anachronism.

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My regular playing partner has a propelling pencil attached to his bag on an retracting cord.

Thing is though, he's a cat 4 handicapper. Talk about "all the gear, no idea ..." :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

I find that if you forget your pencil and then just make up some numbers at the end of the round and mark them down, your handicap tumbles!

#toptip ;)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Argos, Screwfix, Ikea, William Hill and Ladbrokes are my sponsors. The club do have pencils, but you are allowed them for free so i feel wrong. I much prefer the feeling of naughtiness using a stolen scribe..

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Lacking a pencil sharpener I have started offering bespoke grinding for pencils for club members.

Using a bench grinder I find I have far more control over the sharpness of the finished point (avoiding those needle sharp points that snap half way through writing the first score of the day) and the angle of taper. The high friction also causes attractive burn marks on the wood resulting in a unique finish for all custom ground pencils.

I also do custom turning on umbrella handles that are too fat to sit in electric trolley brolly holders.

I like the sound of this

I assume I can drop my pencil off before I tee off and pick up the finished article at the turn?

I have a mate who might be interested too but he wants to know if you can supply the pencil and if so will it be lead free?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
during the season we have tee's, pencils and cards out side the starters hut by the first tee. I've got hundreds of the things in my bag, might put some in the FSS;)

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
a pencil isnt just for numbers ,it is also used for signing,that being said all pencils used must be of a standard befitting their usage. ie ,ikea =cat 4 bookies =cat 3
argos =cat 2 and club freebies =cat1.
no other substitutes can be allowed on the course.
my club do the freebies.

D

Deleted Member 1156

a pencil isnt just for numbers ,it is also used for signing,that being said all pencils used must be of a standard befitting their usage. ie ,ikea =cat 4 bookies =cat 3
argos =cat 2 and club freebies =cat1.
no other substitutes can be allowed on the course.
my club do the freebies.

I need a ruling on this please.

Hypothetical situation......playing in a medal, starting off at 5.5 (Cat 2). If I have a really good round and a cut back down to Cat 1 beckons, assuming I have marked my card with an Argos pencil do I have to sign it with a club freebie?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm getting worried about how much we have in common! I get the mickey taken out of me for carrying a pencil sharpener in my bag.

I too carry a pencil sharpener - it's also useful for sharpening the ends of snapped long wooden tee pegs you find lying all around tees - making nice shorter ones :)

dan2844

Assistant Pro
Visit site
we have free pencils, unbranded, black and white (i always go black, you know the saying) they also have an awful rubber attached that does nothing but smudge :( still doesn't stop me taking 1 a round and then leaving it at home for the next time (every damn time)

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm getting worried about how much we have in common! I get the mickey taken out of me for carrying a pencil sharpener in my bag.

Why not carry a flick knife, it double's up for self defence for when playing at less salubrious clubs.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I like the sound of this

I assume I can drop my pencil off before I tee off and pick up the finished article at the turn?

I have a mate who might be interested too but he wants to know if you can supply the pencil and if so will it be lead free?

Oh no Sir. My service is far better than that. When you drop your pencil off to me I will supply you a pre-packaged shrink wrapped "standard" pencil for your use on the front nine, which you can then exchange for your hand ground writing instrument which will be ready and waiting for you at the half way hut.

Your mate however sounds like the sort of person who wants to waste my time......lead free pencils my arse.....he will be wanting invisible ink next!!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...and how do I mark it?

With difficulty if I am wearing my contact lenses (they are for distance so my near vision ain't so great)

And checking it at the end can be a real pain...

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm horrified, erasers are a huge no-no

All errors should be neatly lined through once initialed and the correct score written beside it.

I'm going to take some time off the forum to calm down, gone bright red with rage reading about those abominations of scorecard keeping. I can't put in words how I feel right now.