Pencils - How do you mark your card?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My pencil is fitted with a rubber but I'm paying the price for not choosing a premium pencil. :angry:
The rubber material is very inferior and whenever I try and rub something out I end up with a big black smudge that makes it impossible to read the corrected score, although this was quite beneficial last year when my golf was awful.

I'm wondering if I should start a complimentary thread on pencil mounted erasers?

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No freebies at ours either. Just on sale at the Pro Shop for 10p a pop I think - but not sure as can't remember every buying one.

Work give away pencils to customers so every so often I grab a small handful and cut each into 3 golf-sized - et voilà! Job done.

The other method is to 'borrow' one from a PP and conveniently forget to return it:whoo:

I hope you do not re sharpen wooden tees as well!
LOL.
Dewsweeper

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You get nowt free in clubs up north. Any visit to Ikea is a chance to stock up, plus a big breakie if in before 11am. No rubber on a pencil, they tend to make a mess anyway. I scrub out and write next to it if I have made a mistake.

Jimbop90

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a former employee of one of the big banks, I helped myself to a box of their pens before I left, about 10 of those scratching round my bag, scribbling on all the compartments currently.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On a more serious note.
To correct a card properly I thought you just put a line through the wrong entry and added the correct score next to it.
Both entries should be legible.
I still do this but I am an old fart.
Dewsweeper

D

Deleted member 1147

I was lucky, I received a Mont Blanc golf pencil for Christmas.
You can really feel the quality, not like those cheap one's that feel dead at impact of pencil on scorecard.
I really hope my scores will significantly improve this year!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I was lucky, I received a Mont Blanc golf pencil for Christmas.
You can really feel the quality, not like those cheap one's that feel dead at impact of pencil on scorecard.
I really hope my scores will significantly improve this year!

Mmmmmm.......buttery soft feel? Is it forged?

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
YES, we do have pencils at our Club which are simple, traditional ones, not branded
i usually have around 10 pencils distributed though my bag and trolley
one of our Society always has a knife for resharpening of the pencils with him. he does it for all of us :thup:

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All our members are custom fit for a 24k cartier pencil.

nothing else will suffice for such an elitist pastime

I cannot believe the common council pencil is making it's way through the ranks, disgraceful .

I shall be speaking to our captain , major-general mountbatten smythe 111 to bring this urgent matter up at the next R&A meeting .

We must unite and stamp out this plague before it becomes pandemic.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
YES, we do have pencils at our Club which are simple, traditional ones, not branded
i usually have around 10 pencils distributed though my bag and trolley
one of our Society always has a knife for resharpening of the pencils with him. he does it for all of us :thup:
I keep a decent quality pencil sharpener in my bag for this purpose. Produces a perfect point on my pencils every time! :)

Last edited:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pencils are for sale in the pro shop but people just help themselves when they get their card.......the pro loves that!! ;)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Lacking a pencil sharpener I have started offering bespoke grinding for pencils for club members.

Using a bench grinder I find I have far more control over the sharpness of the finished point (avoiding those needle sharp points that snap half way through writing the first score of the day) and the angle of taper. The high friction also causes attractive burn marks on the wood resulting in a unique finish for all custom ground pencils.

I also do custom turning on umbrella handles that are too fat to sit in electric trolley brolly holders.