Is your course scorecard fit for purpose?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The other thread mentioning scorecard got me wondering if the scorecard you use works for the players & course

At my home club there’s 11 empty boxes per player per hole and can accommodate groups up to 4-balls
So boxes for Player A/B/C/D individual Gross and separate boxes for each players stableford points plus 2 boxes for each pairs better-ball score, plus a final box for a 4-ball alliance score

Course I used to play at, the card only had boxes for two players maximum and just 4 boxes per hole. 2 for gross scores for the two players and one box for a single players net score and last box for a single players points score

The two cards are roughly the same physical size so I'd think the latter course must be wasting money with excess cards being needed

What’s your like ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do hate when you play somewhere and there's not enough columns for a four-ball, so someone's score has to go in the 'net / points' column or something. And you end up just scribbling their name above it instead of in a proper section. I know it doesn't matter but it's unsatisfying isn't it?

In fact my own club's card falls foul of this, annoyingly. At the top there is only space for two names - player A & B. Not even a box to write your own name (i.e. marker's name). So then the score columns are just marker's score on the left, Player's Score A & B, then you have a column saying Nett Score/Points and that's it. So technically you can write four player's score's down, but only two of them get their names written at the top.

Obviously a lot of cards are designed for competitions where you'd only be marking one other person's score down. I think they completely overlook the fact that a lot of people like to document their social rounds on a card as well.

Edit: found one on the desk so thought I'd attach a photo. As you can see I've written my name under player B even though I'm the marker as I'm sure a lot of people end up doing inadvertently.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221101_093254.jpg
    Screenshot_20221101_093254.jpg
    928.8 KB · Views: 83

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
As 4BBB is so rare, having a scorecard with extra blank spaces crammed in would be somehwat redundant. Our scorecards were reviewed this year as we but huge batches that do us for years. It's good with just the 2. We have one 4BBB a year.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our new cards seem to work for most circumstances for up to four players, though I’m a bit confused as to why the Course Handicap box is labelled Course Index.

I am thinking that this may be a cunning ploy to make us all remember that we always play off a Playing Handicap and not our Course Handicap for the course. That in some formats PH is 100% of CH does not mean we are playing off our Course Handicap…though in effect we are - just that sometimes PH = CH.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As 4BBB is so rare, having a scorecard with extra blank spaces crammed in would be somehwat redundant. Our scorecards were reviewed this year as we but huge batches that do us for years. It's good with just the 2. We have one 4BBB a year.
We have loads of 4bbb at my place.
But we do have simple cards for the nine hole comps.
They should do that for singles as well over 18 holes.
But I assume it’s cost effective to just buy in bulk.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes

I had a large part in designing it.

The only changes since have been all those needed to accommodate the WHS and , sadly, the box for team handicap was deleted.

One of the big changes I made compared to the previous one was to maximise the use of the available space by getting rid of (as much as possible) the blank margins either side of the columns to allow wider spaces in the players score boxes ABCD so there was room for both gross and points when players used it that way. (although as per my previous thread we like when players use the points column in single comps)

DSCN4489.JPG

IanMcC

Visit site
Here is our 9 hole card, which I designed. It is smaller than a typical 18 hole card, hence the spacial constraints, but I think it works well with the colour coding for ladies & Gents.

Attachments

• 9 hole card.PNG
    9 hole card.PNG
    458.1 KB · Views: 34

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
We have loads of 4bbb at my place.
But we do have simple cards for the nine hole comps.
They should do that for singles as well over 18 holes.
But I assume it’s cost effective to just buy in bulk.
Aye England is very different to Scotland in that regard, even a 4BBB open are now hen's teeth, all replaced by scrambles.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Here is our 9 hole card, which I designed. It is smaller than a typical 18 hole card, hence the spacial constraints, but I think it works well with the colour coding for ladies & Gents.

We too used to have a separate card for 9 holes comps because it changes the S.I.s and makes it clearer for Stableford comps

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Aye England is very different to Scotland in that regard, even a 4BBB open are now hen's teeth, all replaced by scrambles.

We probably only have 2 scrambles a year. One in the Seniors Comp and the other when the captain decides to have one on his Charity Day.

When it comes to cards virtually roll ups/ swindles and friendlies go out in 4s so we use most cards up this way so it makes budgetary sense to have just one card for general use.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nope, pre covid ours was fine had sll the local rules plenty of space for scores and had all the hole numbers. Been changed twice to a 3 gold from two that was on a different orientation that just didn't work. The latest one was so bad it doesn't have the local rules but did go back to two fold, the 10th hole is on the the fold for the front so lots miss it when county up the score for the back 9. My club do love wasting money.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hate the cards where you have to put player D score in the marker column if it's a team event.
Ours have marker players A-D a nett column and a points column. However I suspect things may change when our new ones are printed to incorporated additionally rated tees.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Heck, the biggest thing I worry about with a scorecard is if it'll fit in the holder! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The cards at my club do not fit the holder on my trolley. I get irrationally annoyed by this every time :LOL:.

The rest of the card does the job but if only it was a little narrower...............

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The cards at my old club used to be a nighmare to understand if you were not used to them. There are 3 loops of 9 that formed 3 'courses', 1-18, 10-27 and 19-9. The card had the 3 loops of 9 on it with the stroke index being listed multiple times as it was different depending on what course the loop of 9 formed part of. It was just a mess for those not used to it and I neer understood why they could not simply produce 3 cards, one for each course. The cost cannot have been that much higher.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Take some home and trim to size!
Not out of the question except for the fact that we get a bit pampered for comps and they print out the cards for us and hand them to us. I could then carry some scissors in my bag to cut them down but there does reach a point where you just shrug your shoulders and get on with it

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We have a fairly standard design of Marker down the left, Player A, Player B and Nett Score/Points.
We have special cards for AmAms and 4-person scrambles etc.

On the website you can copy this and then make and print your own design for whatever format your casual games and rollups take.

sc card starter.jpg

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The one thing that bothers me about our scorecard is that it has boxes for handicap index and course handicap, but not for playing handicap.
There seems to be no convention in the club for how to use them.
Pretty much everyone does put their index in the appropriate box, but the CH box is used in varying ways.
I write course and playing handicaps separated by a slash in the course handicap box.
Some people just put in their CH. Others just put in their PH.
I guess ultimately it doesn't much matter - the computer works things out when the scores are entered.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find I can handle most variations of spaces, layout etc & still have the card acceptable but have recently been amazed to fine that several local Clubs cards have only labled spaces for HI & 'Shots Received' ....... & none for the required CH.