Is your course scorecard fit for purpose?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The one thing that bothers me about our scorecard is that it has boxes for handicap index and course handicap, but not for playing handicap.
There seems to be no convention in the club for how to use them.
Pretty much everyone does put their index in the appropriate box, but the CH box is used in varying ways.
I write course and playing handicaps separated by a slash in the course handicap box.
Some people just put in their CH. Others just put in their PH.
I guess ultimately it doesn't much matter - the computer works things out when the scores are entered.

However, as I understand it.... it's CH that is required on the card.... or have I missed something??

IanMcC

Visit site
Here is our 18 hole card, which I didnt design. It is OK, but surely the 4 players should be in consecutive rows, not split by the Nett/Points row!
Also, that map is the bane of my life. I cut them all off for storage after the comps. The next batch we order will have no map segment.

Attachments

• 18 hole card.PNG
    18 hole card.PNG
    301.6 KB · Views: 37

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here is our 18 hole card, which I didnt design. It is OK, but surely the 4 players should be in consecutive rows, not split by the Nett/Points row!
Also, that map is the bane of my life. I cut them all off for storage after the comps. The next batch we order will have no map segment.
I do hate big scorecards that have two folds instead of just one. If the map doesn't fit on the back of the normal size card then sack it off. ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not anymore
We now have all 4 tees - White, Yellow, Green and Red - rated for all players..
So all the info for the Greens needs adding..
Once that's done it'll be fine again..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heck, the biggest thing I worry about with a scorecard is if it'll fit in the holder! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A map of the hole layout is helpful (Hayling) and I am sure I can find a decent way of recording the necessary on whatever I am handed.

I had to laugh a couple of years ago the new manager changed the source of our cards and the new ones were bigger. They were on the counter next to the logoed score holders which they would not fit in to. One guy kept a pair of scissors in his locker so he could cut them down to fit his one.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes

I had a large part in designing it.

The only changes since have been all those needed to accommodate the WHS and , sadly, the box for team handicap was deleted.

One of the big changes I made compared to the previous one was to maximise the use of the available space by getting rid of (as much as possible) the blank margins either side of the columns to allow wider spaces in the players score boxes ABCD so there was room for both gross and points when players used it that way. (although as per my previous thread we like when players use the points column in single comps)

View attachment 45010

Ours is very similar to this (y)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do hate big scorecards that have two folds instead of just one. If the map doesn't fit on the back of the normal size card then sack it off. ?

our cards is 3 fold simply because of the information required

Page 1 is just the club name and logo and which of our two courses it is for
Page 2 is Player info etc and front 9 scores
Page 3 is back 9 scores totals and signatures
Page 4 Course map and additional info for the course map and distance notice
Page 5 is Local Rules which take up the whole space
Page 6 is required Health and Safety info and Pace of Play requirements

We used to have a 4 fold one which also included a course planner but this was dropped when they started to sell course planners on the pro shop.

oleinone

Visit site
Our course was recalibrated recently leading to some changes in hole handicap ratings. Needless to say, the course has a zillion pre changes scorecards. Some of us may be pushing up daisies before we see any new cards.

D-S

Visit site
We have just ordered 20,000 new cards. It was mentioned that the vast majority of these will end up in the bin. Some will be recycled, but even those that do will have had a decent carbon footprint- freight from the paper mill to the printers, printing, sheeting, distribution to golf club etc.
Must be a better way for golfers just ‘to have a card to see where I get shots’, ‘ just in case’, ‘I like doing my own card beep even though you are doing the team one’ etc. etc.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I do hate when you play somewhere and there's not enough columns for a four-ball, so someone's score has to go in the 'net / points' column or something. And you end up just scribbling their name above it instead of in a proper section. I know it doesn't matter but it's unsatisfying isn't it?

In fact my own club's card falls foul of this, annoyingly. At the top there is only space for two names - player A & B. Not even a box to write your own name (i.e. marker's name). So then the score columns are just marker's score on the left, Player's Score A & B, then you have a column saying Nett Score/Points and that's it. So technically you can write four player's score's down, but only two of them get their names written at the top.

Obviously a lot of cards are designed for competitions where you'd only be marking one other person's score down. I think they completely overlook the fact that a lot of people like to document their social rounds on a card as well.

Edit: found one on the desk so thought I'd attach a photo. As you can see I've written my name under player B even though I'm the marker as I'm sure a lot of people end up doing inadvertently.

That looks perfect to me.

I HATE those horizontal cards like the pros use or Goswick give you at their open.