Patrick Reed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
The referee definitely said something to imply he couldn't identify it but was happy if the player said he could. Not word for word but that's what was said.
Yep. I heard it too. As I’ve said previously, I’m not convinced it was even the right tree but wasn’t in a position to rewind.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Two referees and multiple marshalls are also complicit in Reed cheating are they?

It's a non story.

I commented on what the video appeared to show, the Referee appeared to not be able to identify the ball but was satisfied that PR was, which is the decision I would have made. The statement though contodicts what I thought was clear on the TV feed, so I am happy top be corrected. Definately though didn't see any marshall involvment.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I commented on what the video appeared to show, the Referee appeared to not be able to identify the ball but was satisfied that PR was, which is the decision I would have made. The statement though contodicts what I thought was clear on the TV feed, so I am happy top be corrected. Definately though didn't see any marshall involvment.
I don’t think the ruling is particularly in question but I heard him give him an out. PR said he thought it was his ball and the red said it can’t give it if he thinks, he must know. PR simply changed his answer. Guess we’ll never know.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I'd love an inquisitive reporter to get some ladders and retrieve ALL the balls from that tree, there were quite a few.

I suspect none will be Reed's as it came down in a different tree - however, we have Reed's word he identified it so that's ok :unsure:

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn’t see it, did he gain much of an advantage by identifying the wrong ball? Would he have been much worse off if he had to drop by the other tree?

D

Deleted member 31467

I didn’t see it, did he gain much of an advantage by identifying the wrong ball? Would he have been much worse off if he had to drop by the other tree?
Yes, by claiming he could identify his ball he was able to drop by the tree and play his 3rd shot from there. If he couldn't identify his ball he would have to go back to the tee and play his 3rd from there.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We were watching it in the bar before playing...
The sound was off but it looked a bit iffy from where we were.....
Benefit of the doubt I suppose but it's another cross against him....that's some doing identifying the ball that high ..

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Real question here, and I am no fan of Reed, but has he ever had strokes added or been disqualified for his actions on a golf course?
Has he been proven to cheat by officials in a competition or has it all been decided by armchair referees on social media?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
We were watching it in the bar before playing...
The sound was off but it looked a bit iffy from where we were.....
Benefit of the doubt I suppose but it's another cross against him....that's some doing identifying the ball that high ..
He had binoculars, both him and the referee checked from what I seen on TV.
If it wasn’t Patrick Reed then it would be a non event in my opinion.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Real question here, and I am no fan of Reed, but has he ever had strokes added or been disqualified for his actions on a golf course?
Has he been proven to cheat by officials in a competition or has it all been decided by armchair referees on social media?

2 stoke penalty for moving sand. Improving his lie at the hero in 2019.

D

Deleted member 27823

It's worth stating that his ball wasn't in that tree so, at best, he's made an honest mistake thinking he could id a ball in there as his.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
It's worth stating that his ball wasn't in that tree so, at best, he's made an honest mistake thinking he could id a ball in there as his.
Perhaps hit one there in a previous/practice round - or is it just me who does that! ???

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure why the tv cameras weren't used to help him at least find the right tree.

Pretty sure I've seen that happen on at least a few occasions.

That could easily be worked out before he even arrives on the scene.

Admittedly the top guys are under more scrutiny from the cameras but they do benefit more from these situations.

D

Deleted member 15344

Patrick Reed - he has form for cheating

Suppose it’s not as subtle as poking in the ground to make indent to try and get a drop from embedded balls or grounding his club in bunkers

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Maybe once if I recall but your second question makes the assumption that the refs are always right or have never been conned by him.

Harry Putter

Visit site
Very weak referring IMO........

Multi millionaire world class player with huge influence....."yes it's my ball, can't you see the markings that I've told you about? You have to believe me, look the cameras are on you and you are hugely under pressure."

Insignificant referee in awe of world class player and knowing the cameras are on him.."oh, errrr, yes ok mate, I can't quite see it but you are so good, rich and famous that I'll take your word for it as you have a much higher profile than me, and who am I to question you? Yes take a drop mate"

Status
Not open for further replies.